What's new

Need Home Theater Hook-up Advice to Get Cable Box Sound (1 Viewer)

hilty003

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Hi, new to the forum but not forums in general and hoping I can get some help. I just bought a 55" LG LED and an LG blu-ray home theater (surround sound) system (model BH4120S ). TV has all the hookups you can imagine. Problem is the surround sound only has an hdmi out, an analog sound not specified as in or out (red/white), and an analog video out (yellow). I'm almost positive that I'm going to need some sort of adaptive hardware to get my cable box to through the surround sound (since the surround sound receiver does not have an optical input). Can someone help me figure out how to get the cable box sound to play through the surround sound? I assume I'm going to have to use the analog sound on the surround sound in some way but I'm not sure how. Thanks alot in advance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just checked NewEgg. You have a 1/8th input on the front that is meant for "portable" devices. You can use that if you want to run your cable box to the front input. Then you just have to use Dolby Pro Logic. You won't have Dolby Digital.

hilty003

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Had I realized it didn't have an optical connection, I wouldn't have bought it but I'd rather not return it now since it was an internet purchase so the return shipping/restocking fee will be more than I'd like to spend, especially because the whole system wasn't that expensive. And yes, i forgot, it does have a headphone input and usb input on the front. Are you saying that using the headphone input on the front of the receiver is better than trying to run the cable box to the analog (red/white) sound connectors on the back of the receiver? Any way that I try to wrap my head around it, I feel like I'll need to buy some sort of adapter/connector...I'm just trying to figure out the best/cleanest option. I'd rather not have to use the headphone jack in the front if at all possible to eliminate wire running to the front and leaving that folding door open. Also, is there a huge difference between dolby pro logic and dolby digital? Is this a setting selection that I make on the tv or on the receiver? Its for an apartment setup so it doesn't need to be spectacular sound wise, I'm just hoping I can make it good enough. Thanks for your help.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The headphone jack would be about the same quality as the R/W on the back. I'd use the back connection (I'm thinking Sam thought you didn't have an aux connection). Instead of buying an adapter, I'd just connect it to the TV and then use the TV's stereo out to the HT R/W input. Usually w recommend against that because you'll only get stereo, but you're only going to get stereo the other way too. Dolby Pro Logic is simulated surround sound using a stereo signal, DD is true surround; so yes, it's probably what most would call a big difference.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
According to the "NewEgg information" the only "audio input" is the "portable"(you don't calle it a headphone input. That "input" has existed since 1870, yes...18). If the "NewEgg information" is incorrect...sure, use the rear red/white(which you yourself said wasn't "plainly marked" whether it is an audio out to be used with the yellow{composite} or not)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks