What's new

NEED HELP!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

bowbiker

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
want a projector to get a bigger screen or do I just go with a plasma big room 24x20 someone please help what are pic quality differances and cost. Please Help

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Periods do make your post easier to read. The size of your room doesn't determine your screen size. Your seating distance from screen determines screen size. If you use a projector, your room needs to be reasonably dark. If you're starting from scratch, a projector setup will probably be more expensive because you also need a separate receiver for sound, speakers, possibly a projector mount, a screen. The screen and mount can be made pretty cheap. I made my screen and mount for about $60 total. With a room that size, I definitely would go with a projector.

bowbiker

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
Thanks Jim,
Sorry about the periods, got a little lazy. I'm about 18 to 20 feet back from the wall, have all the A/V equipment. Was going to use paint for the screen, what do you think? I don't want to view in the dark all the time though.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Paint "screens" are great if your wall is perfectly flat. Only you can determine that. I used a wooden frame and wooden border made from parts from Lowes and fabric from the local fabric store to make my screen. Took a weekend and cost $70. Most of the weekend was waiting for the paint to dry on the border.
2. 18 to 20 feet means a huge screen. I sit 13 feet from my 103" screen.
3. I have my lighting set up with dual recessed in the rear of the room. I leave them on if we are eating dinner in front of the TV. Yes, it does wash the picture out a little. If I put a dimmer on them it would we better. The rest of the time we watch with the room as dark as possible because that gives us the best quality picture.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Like Robert said, if you're going to paint the wall for your screen, it needs to be nice and smooth, with no visible flaws. Mine wasn't, so I painted a sheet of 1/2" MDF for the screen, and mounted that. Can you move your seating closer to the screen? Otherwise your screen would need to be about 11-12' wide.
Originally Posted by bowbiker

Thanks Jim,
Sorry about the periods, got a little lazy. I'm about 18 to 20 feet back from the wall, have all the A/V equipment. Was going to use paint for the screen, what do you think? I don't want to view in the dark all the time though.

bowbiker

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
Thanks Robert,Jim,
So it sounds like if I don't want to be sitting in the dark all of the time I should go with a flat screen, what are your thoughts on DLP sets?
And yes I can move the seating up closer.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I didn't say you need to sit in the dark all the time. It needs to be "reasonably" dark. It's best if the lights in the theater room are recessed lights, on a dimmer switch. That way the light doesn't shine on the screen, and you can dim them down as needed. That room is too big for a flat screen TV(You will be disappointed). A projector would be great in that room. My theater room is only 13' X 17' and my screen is 106" diagonal. I would put the seats about 14-16' back, and get a screen about 120" diagonal. You just need to pick a projector bright enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks