What's new

Need help with surround sound (1 Viewer)

95MBP

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
Hi all,

I have a set of PC surround sound speakers (Logitech X-540) that I've had for a while now and currently have them connected to my desktop PC via the three 3.5mm connections for 5.1 surround sound, this works fine...

However, I want to buy a standalone Blu-Ray player rather than using software (I prefer the image quality and in my case it's cheaper). The problem here is that I wont be able to watch movies in surround sound on the Blu-Ray player, but if I disconnect my speakers and use them in stereo with the TV I won't have any sound on my PC.

So my question is this, is there a form of surround sound receiver that can connect PC speakers to it? I'm not sure if that even exists. My PC has optical output and Blu-Ray players have digital coax. from what I've seen, so ideally I need some kind of switcher with a few surround sound inputs with output for PC speakers... I've looked at AV receivers but not only do they have the wrong connection on them, but the impedance of the speakers is wrong so I can't use one of those anyway.

Any ideas?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is called a pre-pro.Or you buy an AVR with preouts.However, a pre-pro or AVR with pre-outs, even used, is $350+.Less expensive and easier to buy a real system like an Onkyo HTS 54/55/5600 or Denon DHT or a Yamaha YHT.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Based on this manual - http://www.logitech.com/assets/35723/setup-installation-guide.pdf%C2 you could use a Blu-ray player with 5.1 analog output since your Logitech system has it's own volume control on the hand set.

Before you ask "What about the three 3.5mm connections?" That's easy. Get 3.5mm stereo to RCA adapters. Amazon has them for less than $2 each. You need 3 for a complete 5.1 system.

95MBP

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
Robert_J said:
Based on this manual - you could use a Blu-ray player with 5.1 analog output since your Logitech system has it's own volume control on the hand set.

Before you ask "What about the three 3.5mm connections?" That's easy. Get 3.5mm stereo to RCA adapters. Amazon has them for less than $2 each. You need 3 for a complete 5.1 system.
That is a good idea, although players with analog output seem to cost more... plus I wouldn't have any speakers connected to the PC without some crazy switcher... Perhaps it'll be easiest just to put a Blu-Ray drive in the PC, oh well!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Which is why you should buy a real AVR. Even the lowest cost AVR at A4L with the Yamaha 1800 speaker system(there is one on Amazon all the time for $120) will outperform what youve got...by a long mile.So, you can keep trying to make these work in the future...or...

95MBP

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
Thanks for the help.

I get what you mean about buying a new speaker system, however this isn't really what I'm after, besides there's nothing wrong with my speakers, they're only in a 12ftx12ft bedroom so they don't have to exactly be the best speakers going.

I think my best bet for using my current speakers with the PC and a dedicated Blu-Ray player is to make a switcher, using analog audio from a player.

Also, I found this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZHNXNO

It has 2x Optical inputs, 1x Coax. and 1x AUX. So, now I'm thinking I could buy this (or one of it's many clones) and connect Optical from the PC, and Optical or Coax. from a Blu-Ray player depending on what the player has...

95MBP

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
I bought the decoder, and I've just hooked it up and I appear to have no sound coming from the rear speakers, the 'rear sound' is just coming out the front... Also the test emitts nothing to the subwoofer, although the woofer works with music etc. I'm using a 5.1 surround test that worked fine when I was using the speakers directly on the PC

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I suggest buying a second one.I assume the same lenient return policy exists in the UK as here in the US.You have plenty of time to get a 2nd...if both do the same thing...return both.

95MBP

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
schan1269 said:
I suggest buying a second one.I assume the same lenient return policy exists in the UK as here in the US.You have plenty of time to get a 2nd...if both do the same thing...return both.
Yes I do have 28 days to return it, I'll mess about with it for a bit but if nothing works it'll go back!

95MBP

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
Sorry to double post, but I have discovered something, surround sound seems to function correctly using the coax. input on the switcher using a Blu-Ray player. This makes me lean towards it being an issue with the PC, either my specific motherboard or some driver/codec stuff. Either way, to connect my speakers to the Blu-Ray player I'd still need this switcher for the coax. input. My thought now is that I should make/buy that switcher I said about, to use the analogue 3.5mm outputs on the rear of the PC, to then switch it to use the speakers as an output on the little digital audio switcher for the sake of the Blu-Ray player. I think that's my next step. Essentially using the switcher as a poor-man's receiver :P

This is the switcher I am referring to making, something similar;http://www.instructables.com/id/35mm-51-Surround-Sound-Switch-Splitter-Box/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks