What's new

Need help with my sound system! (1 Viewer)

shermaej88

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Sherman
I just received a Coby CSMP90 soundbar for Christmas. I am trying to hook it up to my fairly new (couple months old) Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer. First let me start off by saying, both the sub and the soundbar work individually, so neither is broken. The soundbar has a 3.5 mm jack in the back and next to that jack reads subwoofer out. The back of the subwoofer has a L & R RCA input. Thus, I connected the soundbar to the subwoofer via a 3.5 mm RCA cable (it is a Y split cable). The subwoofer does have an amp on it (it's a sub/amp combo). So I turned the low pass as high as it would go (as per the manuals instructions) to help create an LFE line. I'm not getting anything out of the subwoofer. Please help me, I have no clue where to go with this. I really like the soundbar (despite being a brand like Coby), the sound is really good and I don't want to have to go through the process of returning it because it is not compatible with the woofer.

michael2012

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Abt
What device is providing your sound? Are you coming from a gaming system or a receiver of some sort?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You might have to provide a picture of the back of that thing.
Coby doesn't supply manuals online and Walmart/Amazon/BB nor Coby have pictures of the back of it.
None list it even having a subwoofer out. The 1/8th you are using (I have a feeling) is not marked "output" at all.
So I have to guess two things...(cause there is zero information online...ergo, without you supplying it, we can't help at all)
1. It is broken
2. It doesn't have a subwoofer out and you are trying to make it have one.

shermaej88

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Sherman
I am simply using my iPhone to play music through the bluetooth of the soundbar. I also have used the simple 'line in' and 3.5 mm cable to connect it to my computer when playing movies.

shermaej88

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Sherman
Here are the images of the backs of both units. The second picture is the soundbar, and you can see where it says 'subwoofer out' (barely).

shermaej88

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Sherman
The bottom right port is the one that says subwoofer out. The top right is the coaxial port.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does it actually say in the manual that it actually does anything?
You might need to take a pic of the manual as well(cause I can't find one)...cause there may be some step you have to do.
But it is possible that Coby is using the same jack panel on two things...but passed on the opportunity to actually make "subwoofer" do anything.
Again, we can't help if there is nothing for us to find...

shermaej88

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Sherman
The manual is...for better use of words...garbage. I read a couple reviews of the item before I followed through with requesting this model. A saw a few reviews that said one of the pros of this soundbar was the ease of connecting it to a subwoofer via the jack. So as far as I know, the jack should work. I also talked to a representative at coby. She seemed to not know much but said their models were designed for easy hook up and use into a sub. I'm wondering if because my sub has an amp, that it is messing it up.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Any subwoofer connected to it needs an amp, cause that output is just pre-amp...like they all are(in today's world)
My guess could be(cause since you said "phone via bluetooth") since you don't have the crossover on the sub maxed out that it hasn't "received" any info below where you have the knob...
Try a DVD and raise the crossover to max. If that combo doesn't do it and there is no "press these two buttons and do a rain dance" procedure in the manual...
It is broken...exchange it...

shermaej88

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Sherman
yeah that didn't do it. I guess it's off to call the manufacturer now for an exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks