What's new

Need help with identifying movies (1 Viewer)

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
I'm trying to identify two movies I remember from my childhood. They could be theatrical or TV movies and were both shown on Danish television in the late 70's or early 80's.

- The first is a movie about a murder in what I remember to be a Chinese monestary. The movie was sort of a detective story with the hero arriving at the monestary and investigating the case. There was something about a hidden room.

- The second movie is about the theft of a famous diamond collection. One thing I remember about this movie is that the hero had a radio surgically inserted in his ear.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the titles of these movies?

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'm not certain, but the first one may be a Charlie Chan movie, like The Curse of the Dragon Queen. Of course, I could just be doing math (Chinese + detective).

The second one..no clue.

Can you recall any more details about these movies? In color or B&W? What era was it (60s, 70s, 80s) - you can usually tell by the styles of clothes/hair and the picture quality. Bits of soundtrack would help quite a bit.

I wish there was a site where you could plug in what you know about the movie and it'd narrow it down for you..

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
While I don't remember the monastery to be chinese, your description reminded me a lot of The name of the rose with Sean Connery and Christian Slater...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
While we're identifying old movies, I'll ask for help again on this one that has stumped everyone I've tried it on so far. It's a movie my mother saw when she was young so it's no more recent than say 1950. It was about a classical composer who got no respect, and his son turned his music into ragtime or jazz or tin pan alley type music and made a bundle, but the old man disowned him. At the end, the son made up with the father by arranging for an orchestra to play the old man's music properly. Any ideas? No idea who starred in it, but she recalls it was populated with character actors who she'd seen in other things so it had to have had some kind of budget. Thanks.

Tom Vet

Stunt Coordinator
Sicne you were a kid you didn't recognize the monastary "In the Name of the Rose" is the first one and "Search" starring Hugh O Brian, Burgess Meridith and Angel Tompkins as the guy who had a receiver in his ear and to transmit he had one in his tooth, one for yes and 2 for no.

Name of Rose Stars Sean Connery and Christian Slater about a book in Greek(funny jokes) that one mad monk killed all who read its poisoned pages, that turned the tongue of its victims black. The place burned down with all of the very rare books except those Connerys character took out with him. Look up both on the www.imdb.com I know I have them both correct. :)

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
Sicne you were a kid you didn't recognize the monastary "In the Name of the Rose" is the first one and "Search" starring Hugh O Brian, Burgess Meridith and Angel Tompkins as the guy who had a receiver in his ear and to transmit he had one in his tooth, one for yes and 2 for no.
No it was definitely not The Name of the Rose. It took place in China. But you're absolutely right about "Search". I checked imdb and the pilot episode called "Probe" sounds just right.

The first one wasn't Charlie Chan either. It took place in ancient China and involved a murder case in a monestary/castle like building. The movie (could be a TV-movie) was in colour, and I would guess from the 70's.
I think the danish title was something like "Verdens første detektiv", translating to "The World's first detective", indicating that it took place in ancient China.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
I would ask on the IMDB I need to know board, if you haven't tried already. This kind of stuff usually gets an answer real fast there...

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
That being said, I just remembered reading a detective novel taking place in ancient China..did a search on IMDB on the author of that novel,Robert Van Gulick, this is what I came up with: Judge Dee and the Monastery Murders
Sounds like the one. Thanks a lot Simon. Now if only I could get my hands on it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks