What's new

Need help with hooking up BFD 1124p with laptop to set filters (1 Viewer)

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
I've become tired of manually plotting in-room sub response going the orthodox way using RS analog meter. It's a lengthy and cumbersome process to get the in-room response and then manually setting the filters on BFD. I think it's time to use REW, which will "HOPEFULLY" make my job easier. I want to hookup BFD with laptop to automatically set filters. REW help says I need to connect the pc soundcard from line out using midi interface on BFD. Can someone suggest any midi-to-line out cables??? I can't find any.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hey Braveheart, I’m afraid you’ve misunderstood the Help Files. There’s no such thing as a MIDI to line-out cable. The line cables connect between the sound card and your HT receiver, sending the measurement signal (typically a sine-wave sweep or pink noise) to your speakers. The MIDI cable connects from the sound card to the BFD. However, the MIDI cable is only necessary if you want to have REW import filters directly to the BFD. You can always enter the filters manually. It’s pretty easy to do that, as REW tells you exactly what settings to use for each filters, so you just enter the correct values for frequency, bandwidth and gain. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Plus the instructions are a little dated. Back in the 90's, most sound cards came with a plug that terminated in a couple of MIDI connectors. Now, only the professional cards and external sound devices have that feature. But you can still get USB to MIDI connectors any place PC parts are sold. Like Wayne said, inputting filters is easy.

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
I wanted to actually do the same i.e. set the filters in REW and directly export them to BFD using midi interface. I guess I shouldn't complicate things and set the filters myself as suggested by REW. Thanx folks for clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks