What's new

Need help with connecting TV to new Onkyo SS system (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Michelle
Oh hellooooo I hope someone is out there.

I finally got my new Onkyo last Friday & now someone came to hook it up for me & we can't figure out how to hook it up from the TV (that has 1 DVD, 1 DVDR, 1 VHS) hooked up to the TV.

His friend unplugged whatever was hooked up to the old receiver & he left & we are stumped & I need my TV working :(

Please help.

Thank you

Michelle

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FYI - If you have everything hooked to the TV, you will most likely not get digital 5.1 sound. Your TV is most likely passing only stereo to your Onkyo. Almost all TV's work this way (I've heard of 1 or 2 that will pass 5.1, but I have yet to see them or know anyone who can confirm this).

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Michelle,

The best word of advice when connecting up a new 5.1 receiver to an existing system is to forget about your old connections and start over fresh with a review of your owners manual. Look at your new receiver as the hub of your system. Where possible all of your input connections for both video and audio such as Cable, DVD, VCR, CD should be made to your receiver. Your TV will only be connected to the receiver with a video connection and in effect becomes nothing much more than a computer type monitor.

The only time you need to connect audio from your TV to your receiver is if you watch over the air broadcasts of local TV channels using your TV's built in tuner.

Real Name
Michelle
Oh :( Unfortunately the guy left already & so it has to be the way it is. The amount of wires back there are numerous.

Why was it working w/ the other SS system?

What happens if you have more than 1 DVD player or VCR? Then you are screwed, right?

Michelle

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by sensualspirit

Oh :( Unfortunately the guy left already & so it has to be the way it is. The amount of wires back there are numerous.

Why was it working w/ the other SS system?

What happens if you have more than 1 DVD player or VCR? Then you are screwed, right?

Michelle

It doesn't have to be the way it is. You can wire it correctly if needed.

Are you sure it was? Did you get digital surround sound or matrixed surround sound?

Not screwed at all. I have a Blu-ray and two DVD players connected to my system all controlled by 1 remote. It all depends on your receiver and how you want your system to work. I have to use a component video switch so that all 3 of mine work together.

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
Maybe I can help you through this, is the receiver a Newer type (HDMI connections) does any of your DVD players have HDMI. If you know what brands and model #'s you have that would also be helpful here. Having the right cables too would also be helpful.

Step 1: Read owners manual !!! If you don't have owners manual you can download it from www.onkyousa.com

Step 2: Hook up 1 component at a time to the receiver Main DVD to DVD input both audio and video if you don't have HDMI. Then decide which other video ( Cable/Sat or DVR) you want to have hooked up to what input, hook up both audio and video to that input for each unit. CD to CD, VCR to VCR etc.

Step 3: You should have a Video out on the receiver that you will need to hook up to the TV. Then you leave the TV input alone, HDMI1 or component 1 never to be switched again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks