What's new

Need help updating current HT (1 Viewer)

safehaven

Auditioning
Real Name
JJ
I installed an HT setup about 8-9 years ago and have been using it ever since. Before setting the HT up, I already owned a pair of Infinity RS5's and decided to build the system off of these. Long story short, I used the RS5's as fronts, bought a 57" Hitachi rear projection TV that I used as the center speaker, bought a pair of Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers for surrounds, and drove them all with a Yamaha HTR-5660.

The Yamaha receiver is starting to poop out on me. So, I bought an Onkyo TX-NR609, which does not support "TV as center". Even if it did support TV as center, I plan to get a new TV as soon as I can afford it. So, I need to buy a center speaker. I have decided that I want to do the HT correctly this time and want to get some suggestions. Here are my particulars:

Room size is 29'L x 22'W x 9'H (great room incorporating living, dining, and kitchen)

Main viewing of TV is 15' from TV

RS5 speakers in front on either side of the TV

Surround Primus 150's are 14' behind main viewing, sitting on shelves, approx. 7' from the floor

The first thing I'd like to know is if my current setup is even adequate for my room size? I have often speculated that the surrounds are too small for the room.

If the setup is adequate for the room, what center should I look for to mate up with the RS5's?

If the setup is not adequate for the room, how should I proceed in correcting it? I'd like to use my old equipment if possible.

Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
22' X 29'. That's a very big room by our standards. You didn't mention the subwoofer. That's where the room size will really matter. Do you have one? Plan on getting one?

The Infinity CC-3 was the matching center. They can still be found used for $100-$200 on ebay/craigslist. I wouldn't know what else to recommend since Infinity doesn't use that type of tweeter anymore. But anything would sound better than the tv speakers you were using as a center . The 150's should be alright since the surrounds don't really have to match the fronts.center too much, unless you listen to a ot of surround sound music.

Only thing that jumps out to me is the surrounds being 14' from the viewing area. I haven't experienced surrounds being that far back.

safehaven

Auditioning
Real Name
JJ
Tanks for the reply. I know its a big room. It is 2/3rds of our downstairs. The sub is an Infinity PS-8, 100W RMS.

I know, now, that the TV as center was probably a bit cheesy, or more than a bit. But at the time I set it up, that was what was recommended to me to do. 8 years ago, these types of forums either didn't exist or I didn't think to look for them

I wish I could put the surrounds closer and to the side, but the room will not allow for that. At 90 degrees of the main viewing area, the room actually jogs to from a very short (3') hallway for the door to the garage. The speaker would essentially be recesses into a hallway, which I don't know if it would work too well. Even if I did put the speaker there, it would actually increase the distance to 16' from viewing area.

In your best estimation, which do you think is the lesser of two evils, 14' at 150 deg. behind or 16' at 90 deg. and recessed into a small hallway?

Here is a photo of my current placement of surrounds. You can see them in upper corners of the terrible camera phone photo.

Here is the view at 90 deg. from main viewing area.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm just guessing but I'd leave them where they are. Having the right surround 16' away and the left one right next to the couch probably isn't any better than where they are.

Is that little Infinity sub able to handle a room that size?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My room is 1/2 that size and I use dual 15" subs each getting 800w at 20hz. But then again, it is all about YOUR goals.

safehaven

Auditioning
Real Name
JJ
Originally Posted by gene c

I'm just guessing but I'd leave them where they are. Having the right surround 16' away and the left one right next to the couch probably isn't any better than where they are.

Is that little Infinity sub able to handle a room that size?

You know, I thought it was fine until I started reading about all of this stuff :(

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Could you put the surrounds on stands at the back corners of the sofa?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks