1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Tweaking My Samsung 61" DLP (HL-S6187W)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by brianMur, Nov 16, 2006.

1. brianMur

brianMur Auditioning

Hello all,

I just purchased a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV (HL-S6187W), and Directv came out on Tuesday to upgrade my system to HD. Unfortunately, due to the sad state of the HDMI standard, the current HD receiver (H20) I have, does not work properly with my TV, so that is annoying, but that is besides the point. I am not really happy with the picture I get for the non HD content, but the HD is amazing. I have read that it is even more amazing when changing the default settings, but no one really says what setting to change, and what to change them too. So, does anyone have this TV, and what, if any, setting did you tweak to help the picture? Also to the Directv users out there, does anyone know if the HDMI on the new HD DVR from Directv works with this TV? I know it's a lot of questions, but thanks in advance fro you help.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Best bet is to use a test disc like AVIA or Dig Vid Essentials to calibrate the TV. Or use the Free THX optimode tests on any THX branded DVD.

Takes all of 5 minutes with the THX patterns and beats searching for hours for other people's settings on other sets with other equipment set up needs.

Regards

3. Brian_Dunstan

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have now seen a few posts about Samsung HL-S61* sets and poor SD picture quality. I just purchased an HL-S6188W (should be here on Saturday) and now I'm freaking out.

I currently have a 5-year old Pioneer SD-582HD5 (58", non-elite, CRT RPTV), so I'm familiar with the fact that blowing up a poor SD signal from digital cable or satellite onto a screen that size results in "less than stellar" PQ. Will my new DLP be significantly better/worse than my current set?

4. sptrout

sptrout Stunt Coordinator

I have a HL-S6188 and the SD picture is very acceptable, much better than my 6 year old 52" RCA HD 4x3 monitor/TV. The HD picture quality is stunning!

I did have my 6188 ISF calibrated about a month after purchasing it. It is critical that all the inputs (and OTA) be properly set, which can be a real chore if are not familiar with the process. I have used DVE in the past, but with the newer TVs you really should consider getting your TV ISF calibrated. That way you will know for sure that your TV is the best it can be.

5. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this bad boy as well. Haven't had much time to play with it, but movie mode is a must setting so far. SD looks okay, not much of an improvement over my 54 inch sammy I replaced.

My only question is, what sort of upconvert DVD player would pair nicely with this set?

6. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

Without getting into the whole format war debate, I have a Samsung 61" DLP (an older 1080i model) and I recently purchased a Toshiba HD A1. The upconversion of SD through this player is amazing, much better than my previous Toshiba upconverter.

If you can live with the slow load times (takes a bit longer to load the player up than to warm the TV up) and a few of the little flaws of the player (see the HD DVD Hardware forum for discussions), I think it makes an excellent investment for SD upconversion and you get to play HD DVD's as a bonus!

I posted a review of the player in the HD DVD hardware review section as well, if you are interested.

Dave

7. giavid

giavid Auditioning

I have the same problem. The HD is awesome but the SD really stinks. I can't even watch anything on it. Does anyone know if UFC pay per views are broadcasted in HD? I can't believe the two receptions can be so off. Plus the annoying gray bars on the side of SD get to me after time.