What's new

Need Help Setting Up Previous Owner's Home Theater (1 Viewer)

runeblade265

Auditioning
Real Name
Timmy
So I just moved into a new house and the previous owner left me parts of his theater setup. I am clueless on how to set this up.

He has his projecter mounted on the ceiling and has wired the cables through the wall into an adjacent room.

Here are some pictures for reference:
http://imgur.com/a/uJ3aa

The 2nd image is the wires coming out of the wall in the adjacent room. I am assuming the black and red wires are for the speakers set up throughout the theater room, the white cable for the subwoofer, and the ypbpr is connected to the projector. But what about the green, red, black, and white wires? What is that for?

I want to hook up a ps3, directtv, and occasionally a laptop. So what would I need to buy to put this all together?

The Projector is an EPSON powerlite 821p.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
12v trigger is...

One component turning on something else. IE, you turn on AVR...it sends a signal to the projector to wake up...and another signal to the screen to start rolling down...hence, why I asked if the screen is powered.

The projector has an RS232. Which means(maybe it was disconnected???) the AVR 12v could go to a RS232 control(which would relay any msgs for everything else).

Or, those 2 sets(extra) could be for a 2nd zone(kitchen, back patio).

runeblade265

Auditioning
Real Name
Timmy
Oh well in that case my screen is not powered. There is just a frame built into the wall that outlines where the projector should display.

So you would recommend starting fresh? Is there no way to salvage the current setup? I was really hoping I could work with what I got rather than buy new stuff but if it comes down to it, I can.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That projector, used, is worth about $100.

It does not have HDMI. It doesn't even have DVI.

Yes, you "could" buy a receiver with three component(AVR with 3 component were rare, even before HDMI came along. Most only had two. Or maybe you only need two?).

The laptop is the odd one here. I don't know of any AVR, outside the current Onkyo, that even have 15-dsub...at that to get one with enough component(2) with the dsub is at least a 717(last years). But, I have zero idea if the dsub can go out the component...or if it has to be converted to the HDMI(download and read the manual...maybe it says, but they could leave that tidbit out expecting nobody to need the ability...)

Or, you could buy a newer HDMI projector for $1000-ish, be 10 times(at least) the projector you have now. The "hard part" will be replacing that component/VGA with an HDMI(hopefully it is through conduit so you could tie the HDMI to the component/VGA and pull it all out while pulling the HDMI in).

runeblade265

Auditioning
Real Name
Timmy
Actually I don't really need to hook up the laptop. I can stream from my pc to ps3 so I wouldn't need it.

If I were to buy a new projector, I would still need to buy a reciever right? to hook up the speakers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes you would. But...if all you have are three sources(and your laptop has HDMI...???)

You could buy a $250-ish AVR. That is, yes, barebones...but would you need/want anything beyond barebones?

Here is a good choice(I assume you've already looked up the Onkyo NR717...to know how much less you can spend on the AVR...if you buy a newer projector)...if barebones is all you need.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTR580/Onkyo-HT-R580-7.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html (least featured 7.1 on A4L)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, on "newer" AVR, component is disappearing. To get two would require at least the price of the 717 anyway(I looked, the 616 only has 1 component and no dsub...so it wouldn't work...the 717 is the "cheapest AVR" to make this projector function).

So...keep the projector(live with 720P and 1080i) and buy the 717(darn near your only choice...unless you spend more in Onkyo for the 818 and up...as only Onkyo has dsub*). But you also won't have have lossless audio from BD on this choice.

Or buy a newer projector and you can spend less on the AVR. You'd have 1080P with lossless audio as well.

*And still no idea if dsub input can go out the component.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah. Somebody I'm sure will come along with...

"You know there are DRM strippers that take HDMI to component"...

1. They suck.
2. By the time you buy that and install it(so you could buy a cheaper AVR to begin with), you've spent more than this projector is worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-HDMI-Component-Converter-Surround/dp/B00BJR36L8/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374271259&sr=1-12&keywords=hdmi+component+converter (not sure if that one is the correct one for this situation. There are several versions)

Anybody that has had success has probably tried 2-3 of them.

runeblade265

Auditioning
Real Name
Timmy
The reciever you linked is good enough right? It has 2 component inputs (I only need one for the ps3) and 1 output which I can connect to the projector. It has 4 hdmi inputs and I'll only need 1 for directtv. I've decided against the laptop because I can stream media from pc to ps3 which is what I would have used the laptop for.

EDIT: I actually have hdmi ports on my laptop, so I could just use that too.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You need BOTH component. You have to use component for the Directv as well.

But yes, the NR717 will allow you to use the present projector...and will still work quite nicely when you buy a more modern projector.

Receivers, back when "HDMI was new" had Component Down-Conversion. Which is the opposite of HDMI up-conversion.

No, the AVR will not take HDMI video and "down-convert" it to component.

Hence why I said to replace the projector.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That, technically, isn't a HD projector(800x600 SVGA. SVGA is "HD video graphics")

"Cheap" home theatre projectors start around $650. This, provided you can "place it in the room"...is a great projector...
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W1070-Theater-Projector-Silver/dp/B00A2T6X0K/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374288979&sr=1-8&keywords=epson+3010

You can't really get a projector recommendation without...

1. Throw distance
2. Image size desired
3. Placement(ceiling, shelf or table)
4. Seating distance

runeblade265

Auditioning
Real Name
Timmy
Shoot. I don't think I can spend that much money right now. I'll probably pick up the 717 and get a new projector somewhere down the line.

Thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks