What's new

need help settin up new theatre room (1 Viewer)

odessaericjones

Auditioning
Real Name
eric jones
I have never set up a media room before so I wanted to see what yall thought of my choices. I am getting 3 definitive technology UWI 75 speakers for my center and front channels. I am gettin 4 definitive technology UWI BP/A speakers for my side and rear speaker channels. My sub is gonna be the definitive technology supercube 2000. For my projector and screen I am gonna get the Epson 8350 with a 100" black diamond sceen. Just wanted to get yalls thoughts cause I am totally new at this.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you auditioned the Def Techs? Quality company that makes quality speakers and average subs. You can get a better performing sub for the price of the Def Tech if you go with an internet direct company.

As far as screens go, I couldn't spend the money one one. I built a 103" screen for about $75 and it turned out excellent. Been using it for 5 years. Looks just as good as the ones I auditioned in the stores.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
I believe that Black Diamond screens are made for high ambient light environments. Is your media room going to be well lit when you are using your projector? If not, I don't know if a Black Diamond would be the best choice for a darkened room. Perhaps someone else can answer this.

I have an 8350 and it's a good first projector. However, if I had it to do over, I would spend the extra and go with the 8700 for the better blacks, power zoom & focus and other nice little features... but that would be my second projector then... wouldn't it?

The SuperCube 2000 would be okay for a small room, especially if you are trying to keep a clean, invisible look. I don't want to talk you out of it because this really sounds like a "lifestyle" system and the 2000 may be just what you need. Will your source let you trade up if the 2000 is not enough sub for you?

As Robert J said, you can get better performing subs from Internet dealers but they will be larger and more imposing. It depends on what your goals are. Some people want the cleanest looking installation and are willing to give up a little in performance. Some people want the top performance possible, without as much concern for tidyness, brand-consistency or over-all looks... and some people want everything.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, there are a few small, internet direct subs. Not every ID sub is the same size as the Seaton Sound Terraform XL. That's Mark Seaton between a pair of his subs.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Spankydahamstr

Goodness that looks like fun!!!
That's retail. You really get into the fun in DIY.

This guy's sub is an 18" driver in the center and dual 18" passive radiators above and below. Look on the other side of the sub and it is repeated. Yes, dual 18's and quad 18 pr's in a single cabinet. And he build a pair of these!

This guy went a different route with eight 18's in four sealed boxes. I think the last upgrade I he posted was four 220v power lines run to the room to power four 5,000w amps.

I can't complete with these guys. They run the top of the line TC Sounds sub - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-666&FTR= . I only run a pair of these - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-642

Spankydahamstr

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Originally Posted by Robert_J

That's retail. You really get into the fun in DIY.

This guy's sub is an 18" driver in the center and dual 18" passive radiators above and below. Look on the other side of the sub and it is repeated. Yes, dual 18's and quad 18 pr's in a single cabinet. And he build a pair of these!

This guy went a different route with eight 18's in four sealed boxes. I think the last upgrade I he posted was four 220v power lines run to the room to power four 5,000w amps.

I can't complete with these guys. They run the top of the line TC Sounds sub - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-666&FTR= . I only run a pair of these - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-642
I would say "I only run" haha

Your setup looks like no slouch. Well one day when I have a Barn and no animals I'll create some!

Looks like a Blast

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
^^^ guy apparently has no neighbors within a quarter-mile... damn - talk about overkill... personally I'd have gone with a bigger screen...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Phil Taylor said:
^^^ guy apparently has no neighbors within a quarter-mile... damn - talk about overkill... personally I'd have gone with a bigger screen...
I agree. That's ridiculous.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I follow his thread at another forum. It's a balanced system but his goal is the lowest bass possible. He can reach 5hz at -3db (or something close to that). To reach 100 db at 20 hz may take an excurson of 2mm. To reach that same output at 5 hz takes 32mm of excursion.

poohpiglet

Auditioning
Real Name
Pooh Piglet
Hi!
imgrepo
Awesome! I have known about home theatre speakers too in solent electronic home. A Surround sound speaker system is aptly named for surrounding the listener with an acoustic environment that goes beyond the two-channel stereo sound experience of yesteryear. Current home theatre sound systems place the viewer or listener inside a virtual landscape of sound. Try it! Hope it helps you in setting your new theatre room! :D PoohPiglet

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks