What's new

Need Help Selecting a New Sub (1 Viewer)

jeffpell

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Pell
have a 10x20 room with hardwood floors. I have a subdude ii. My current room setup is in the attached jpg.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

LR.jpg

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Jeff :)

I recommend a budget of $500 for each sub and a minimum of two subs.
Do your research on the benefits of multiple subs because its not about power but rather more about consistency and obtaining a flat response.

Three things to look for when shopping for a sub:

1. Measured and verified performance. We wouldn't want to take the manufacture's word for it, now would we?

2. Good frequency response. 30 Hz is good but 20 Hz is epic and should be the goal of any home theater enthusiast. $500 is the magic number.

3. Amp power. While its true that amp power plays a larger role in your room size (and your needs) better amp power can also mean more dynamic headroom.

Measured and verified to have excellent bang-for-the-buck would be manufactures like Hsu, Outlaw and SVS. There are others but prices get ridiculous (even SVS is pushing it) for what, IMO, is little gain in performance. If you have the ability and tools there is no doubt that you can build a better sub than a manufactured sub, for about the same amount of money, but Im afraid I cant advise you on that one...Im just way too damn lazy to build my own. The net is a wealth of info on the subject so do your research if you have the desire and abilities to create a DIY sub.

On a side note, have you considered setting up your room length-wise? I only mention it because width-wise is actually the least acoustically desirable set up.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/ is another good option. Tom V. is the founding V in SVS.

I don't completely agree with Ty that two subs are always required. Every room is different. If you find a good location for a sub, a single sub will also work. I am a fan of using an EQ to flatten the in-room frequency response. Most of the time it will look like a mountain range. You want it to look like the plains or at least rolling hills.

Even though I use dual 15's, they are co-located in the front of my room, under the projector screen. I power them with a pro amp and EQ them with a digital parametric EQ. If you go the DIY route, I will help you with design and build techniques. I've even helped local guys build subs.

jeffpell

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Pell
I've decided to send the deftech 8060s back and purchase ascend sierra-1 with nrt upgrades to replace them. The subs inside 8060s seemed to be a waste with a dedicated sub. Thoughts?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
That depends on who you ask. There are those who feel that more capable mains can double as mid range monitors for that 50-80 Hz range. The idea is this will free up the sub to concentrate more on its optimum performance range producing only 50 Hz and below, rather than the standard 80 Hz and below most folks ask of their sub. I agree with this idea, to a point, however I dont think using your satellites as mid range monitors is the right answer. In my opinion, in a home theater application, your satellites already have plenty of responsibility with all that a movie brings; the score, dialog and sound effects. In music its fine to use your mains as mid range monitors as singing and instruments is all you are asking. However a movie requires more subtly and clarity (especially for coherent dialog) and if you want a mid range monitor then get yourself a mid range monitor. Asking satellites to be a mid range monitor has, for me, always created a sound too thick and congested.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I use my mains(in the theatres capable) down to 40hz. Therefore, my subs in the room only have to deal with "their own info" and

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks