What's new

Need help Pioneer SC-62 vs SC-65 (1 Viewer)

jwd12

Auditioning
Real Name
john dunn
I need some help or perhaps just some common sense. I am in the process of upgrading my A/V system. Have ordered the Panasonic VT-50, and have received an Oppo BDP 93 universal player. I am seriously considering the SC-61, but perhaps I should get the more expensive ($500.) SC-65. Most of the use of my system is TV or DVD watching or streaming video. I listen to music but usually just as background. The important difference between the two (for me) is the ability to pass 4k. Is this worth $500 at this point in time?

jwd12

Auditioning
Real Name
john dunn
Understand broadcast will not happened in my lifetime. An improved player is possible, but up-scaling blu ray is possible (t think). My current receiver is about 10 years old and the new one could last that long.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The OPPO 93 has two hdmi outputs. If 4K ever does become a reality then run the OPPO straight to the display for video.
Look at the Product Sheet for each Elite receiver on Pioneers website (listed under Manuals and Brochures). The items in bold are up-grades over the next lower receiver. The 65 looks like it has a bit of a stronger amp section but I doubt it would be noticable. It's also 9.2 vs. 7.2 and has 192/32k DACs vs. 192/24k DACs in the 61.
BTW, I had an SC-27 a while back and a vsx-23 (still have it) at the same time and for my situation the 23 was just as good as the 27.
Keep in mind, most people buy way more receiver than they actually need. I've done it myself.....several times :blush: .

jwd12

Auditioning
Real Name
john dunn
Thanks, you have helped me. The product sheets were invaluable, and new to me. At my age the audio differences between the two would not be discernible, and the differences in wattage would not make any difference in my small room. SC-62 it is. Thanks for your insight.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most brands have a product or spec sheet although I can't seem to find something similar for Yamaha receivers. I find them very usefull even if they don't all show the up-grades over the other models like Pioneer does.
The biggest differences between receivers in the same general price range is how easy they are to setup and operate more than how powerfull they are or how they sound (even though I'm one of the few who feels there is a slight difference in sound quality between some receiver brands it isn't enough to fret over). And how attractive they are seems to be more important to me than it should be :blush: . I've always like the appearance of Pioneer Elites although the new models with their brushed aluminum front isn't quite as good looking as the previous models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks