What's new

Need help...not enough component inputs on my TV (1 Viewer)

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 60" Hitachi progressive scan rear projection TV that's five years old, has two S-video inputs and only one component which I already have my DVD player on. I just bought an XBox and PS2...the PS2 can go on the spare S-video if need be but I wanted the XBox on the component - but that's already taken.

Is there a switch box I can buy to make this work? The only things I'm seeing at like Best Buy and Radio Shack are S-video, audio and composite 4-way boxes. Would it be okay to just use the yellow red and white AVs for the component cables instead as long as I kept the colors right? Any advice would be appreciated, there is no way I would be able to pull the TV out every time I wanted to switch these.

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
I use the INDAY component video switch with good results. It has 4 component video inputs with one output and comes with a remote for selecting which input to use. I also recently purchased an INDAY component video distribution amp (1 input to 4 outputs) so that I could connect my components to both my RPTV and my projector. So far so good.

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I ended up buying a JVC component switcher, it was a little more in my price range. But this got me on the right track. I don't really have very high end equipment.

Now if I could find a way to converge two toslink outputs into one for the two consoles I'd be set...this isn't quite as big of a problem though because that can be easily reached to switch. My receiver is an Onkyo 575 I think? And it only has one coax and one optical input.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I would have recommended Pelican's System Selector Pro. As a guy With 7 Video game consoles, a VCR and a DVD player hooked up to a single TV and receiver, I need all the input space I can get. This item is only $100 at Best Buy and has 8 inputs, all of which handle component, composite and S-Video. Three of them also handle TOSlink and it has a built-in three-port hub.

That JVC you have probably more expensive and not nearly as full-featured. I'd exchange it if you can.

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, thanks for the reply. I only wish I had seen this device earlier - it is exactly what I need. The JVC is on its way from Amazon, guess I'll either return it or just resell it. I believe the Pelican would work better for me and it's $89 this week at BB.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The Audio Authority component switcher ($190) also has digital audio switching built in. 4 inputs ... 1 output.

Problem with the AA unit is that it has no remote and its auto detect system is not very intelligent.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks