What's new

Need help getting rid of annoying (volume) protection lock (1 Viewer)

brendy

Agent
One thing I have not seen mentioned yet. What are the ohm ratings of your speakers ? To many 4 ohm ones would cause this.

Bart_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Brendy,

Here are the ohm ratings for my speakers:

Center (Mordaunt Short 905c): 8 ohms
Fronts (Dali Concept 8): 6 ohms
Surrounds (Dali Concept 2) : 8 ohms
Back surrounds (Mission 771): 8 ohms

Should this pose any problems?

Regards,
Bart.

Oh and a happy new year! :)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The dali concept 8 speakers are 6 ohms.

Still, I don't think that's the problem. I really have no idea what it might be.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
How is the heat around the receiver? Is it in an enclosed space?

As mentioned, check all the wiring again. Redo it.

You've localized it to particular speakers, connect those to the front and listen to them alone and see how things sound and if it goes into protect. Perhaps those speakers are blown are are just presenting a low-impedence short to the receiver which is shutting down (which is a good thing).

Bart_R

Stunt Coordinator
Chris:

The receiver is on a little table with enough space all around it (well, from the back of the receiver to the wall it's about 10 cm). It's not in a cabinet or something and nothing is standing on top of it.

I redid most of the wiring. Should I do (restrip etc.) everything though, now that I've located the problem? Maybe it's the wiring from the back surrounds that's the problem. For example, I'm not sure if I've paid close enough attention to the polarity of the connections here. Hmm.... Could something like that be the cause. Anyway, I will check that...

And a good idea to check the particular speakers via a different output on the receiver. I'll do that as well...

What do you mean by this, btw:

"Perhaps those speakers are blown are are just presenting a low-impedence short to the receiver which is shutting down (which is a good thing)."

Do you mean "and are just presenting..." or "or are just presenting". In the case of the former I can see the problem. In the latter case not really. In other words, if they are not blown could they still present a low-impedence short to the receiver? If so, why/how?

Thanks for your input :)

Cheers,
Bart.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What impedance are these speakers? All Marantz receivers are rated for 6 Ohms only. In stereo, 4 Ohms can be run, but a full compliment of 4 Ohm speakers and you may have a problem.

Do you know what size wire was run?

The FIRST thing I would check for is shorting somewhere and verify the polarity of each speaker's connection. If the polarity is incorrect, you run the risk of damaging both the receiver and the speaker.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
John, previously he stated:

It shouldn't cause problems especially if set to small. I've mentioned before that I run dynaudio contours across the front of a 5300 (same as the 5600 just older model), and also two paradigms wired in parallel for the backs which are basically 4 out of the 6 speakers are nominally 4ohm. Admittedly Dynaudios keep pretty stable impedence and are not particularly difficult to drive, but do like gobs of power. I've never run into any heat issues or ever had the receiver shut down on me. I have been putting off purchasing a high end amp though for some time, partly because I've had no problems like this and a grand or two for an amp is really just for performance returns which likely would be minimal, though perhaps not insignificant.

Bart_R

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the long hiatus, but I finally got around to testing the back surrounds. I just now did what you suggested, Chris, and connected my missions to the front outputs on my receiver and well, hardly any sound at all emanates from one of them. So I turned up the volume and sure enough, the receiver went into protect mode (I had disabled the back surrounds, btw).

So I suppose something is blown in one of these two speakers :frowning:. That's a bit of a shame, but hey, at least I know now.

Thank you all so much for helping me locate the problem. I can now move on and take proper measures.

Cheers,
Bart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks