1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

need help deciding between onkyo tx-nr818, Pioneer SC-1223 , and denon avr-x3000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Henry Hughes, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes Active Member

I am upgrading my home theater equipment and I am looking at receivers. Currently I have a onkyo tx-sr805. I have old axiom m60 speakers. but I am planning on upgrading my speakers also. Just curious which receiver would you guys consider to be the better performer.

thanks for answers in advance

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The one that has the features you'll use.What features do you want?Zone 2(analog fine or digital)?Pre-outs?Doing height or width?Using apps/networking?Using a Harmony/ URC, or want the AVR to have a master remote?What are the sources?

3. Henry Hughes

wow, i never really thought about all that. I don't need zone 2, I don't plan to use an amp so I don't really have an immediate need for pre outs. The height and width is not really an issue, as it will be sitting on a shelf with nothing above it. I would like to be able to interface with my wifi, so networking would be a good thing. I am planning on purchasing an Harmony remote.

The sources would be a uverse box, a ps3, ps4, xbox 360, a television, possibly an htpc, and possibly an xbox one.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Height/width aren't dimensions.DPL IIz Audyssey DSX

5. Henry Hughes

Oh wow, i feel pretty sheepish. I have read about audyssey but have never used it. On my current receiver i just used the test tones and a sound meter.

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The 805 doesn't have DSX. It didn't exist then.Essentially, based on your other thread, are you sure you want(for whatever reason it is) to replace your current speakers. Or...move on to 7.1 or 9.1 and add more speakers.

7. Henry Hughes

I currently have a 6.1 setup. So i would like the ability to move to a 7.1. However, right now i just want to upgrade my speakers.