What's new

Need help convincing myself to go with an iPhone! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what are you going to do with an i[phone that doesn't work?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I need one to measure it's physical size. That's one thing I'll be doing with it. I need precise measurements.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Now I am wondering if I can buy a used iPhone 3g and use it with the SIM card from my 5 year old RAZR as a temporary phone with no data plan till the 4G comes out. If the SIM card doesn't work, then I can use it as an iPod. If this isn't kosher to talk about, then I understand.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you put a non smart phone sim into an iPhone AT&T will realize it on new billing cycle and begin charging you for data usages. But yes, technically doable.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPhone 3GS: $199
One month of AT&T: $100
ETF: $175
Total: $474 + taxes.
After Tax Deduction: $350

For about $500, you can have your iPhone for a month and take your measurements and whatever else, and get out of the contract. As this would be a business expense, presumably it's tax deductible, saving you another 25% (guessing). (Of course, check with AT&T on the details on canceling the contract, etc.)

I don't know know your hourly rate, the size of this project, or anything else. Only you can answer whether it's $350 to solve this conundrum and get on with the project. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, Yes, I think it might be better to stay out the gray market of smart phones! Sounds like more trouble then it's worth!

I don't know know your hourly rate, the size of this project, or anything else. Only you can answer whether it's $350 to solve this conundrum and get on with the project. :)
But I should wait. Thanks for the inputs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait Dave! Let's hope the iPhone rumors for the next generation are mostly true.

mylan

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/297884/need-help-convincing-myself-to-go-with-an-iphone#post_3660078

What are the rumors? Like Nelson I want an iphone now and have been looking to upgrade mine and my wife's old Razor. Neither of us are power users and she even less so to the point i'm not sure she would even use 10% of the phones features.
AT&T has a deal going where you buy one smartphone and get another (lesser) messaging phone free so my plan was to get a 3Gs iphone for myself and get her a free Samsung Impression but at BB last night she was clearly impressed with the iphone.
My new idea is to get me the 3Gs and her one of the older 3G for $99, whatever the new 4G phone I doubt either of us would miss it.
Or we could just limp along in the stone age and keep our Razors and save some cash, decisions, decisions....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mylan,

The rumors I know of are, with percentage of likelyhood:

1. 5 megapixel camera, 90%
2. Removable battery (unlikely given how Apple is making all their products with no battery access) 30%
3. OLED screen, 90%
4. Apple build dual core processor with more RAM. 80%
5. Front facing video camera, 70%
6. New unibody enclosure, 40%
7. 64 mb flash memory, 60%

And the biggest potential new feature of the 4th gen iPhone is multitasking.

I think once you go down the path of an iPhone, you won't go back. And if you buy now, you'll regret it in June.

Those that own them now can probable tell you better. But I'm waiting as best as I can till June.

mylan

Screenwriter
Interesting features, thanks Nelson. Like I said, handing my wife an iphone would be like buying her a new Ferrari and her never exceeding the speed limit and using it for grocery runs, these new features would be a non-issue for her and may not be for even for me. I'm at the point I don't know what I would do with it except make calls, surf the internet and play with some of the apps. I was going for the 16G version so 64 would be overkill, also, at what price are they going to sell. I see way more than $199.
The features that might possibly interest me are the removable battery, OLED screen, and the new enclosure.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mylan, If you look at some of the guys who responded to my questions on the first page on what Apps they use, I can see using many of those once I get an iPhone! I was thinking very much like you do. But I can see getting used to having those apps!

mylan

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by DaveF

Either way, I am still trying to decide what to do, and yes Nelson, I do think at this point I would soon be wondering how I ever got by without some of those apps.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If you travel at all - an iPhone is the Holly Grail. I'm writing this* from the Costa Rican Pacific, and to say the iPhone has made my trip better would be a severe understatement. There is no cell reception here, only WiFi, but I've been making calls via Skype, and reading all kinds of stuff (web, email, NY Times app, Instapaper etc etc.). The other guests are looking at me like I have some Star Trek device as I can chatter away while their cell phones are useless. (and I really did need to talk as half our party got stuck in NYC due to snow and we had to change various plans).

Ted
--
Sent from my iPhone

*But not alas post it to HTF, as it denied a submit via Mobile Safari -- just hung there -- anyone else have this problem? I never had any trouble posting from my with the old HTF software. Had to copy/paste/email it to myself and am posting now after my return...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

*But not alas post it to HTF, as it denied a submit via Mobile Safari -- just hung there -- anyone else have this problem? I never had any trouble posting from my with the old HTF software. Had to copy/paste/email it to myself and am posting now after my return...
Yes that's a known problem ted, and the owners don't care and aren't kicking Huddler's ass over it, no matter how much I cry about it. It doesn't happen often but most of the time it's caused by quotes.

"Moble isn't a priority"
Mind boggling but true.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm afraid I'm going to care deeply about this issue later this year. Hopefully it will be fixed by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks