What's new

Need help choosing a Receiver....Denon AVR590 or Sony STR-DN1000? (1 Viewer)

SQMonte

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rich
My speakers are Insignia NS-B2111. I'm currently running them with the Onkyo receiver in my sig and need to upgrade since that receiver is going in my room. I have it narrowed down to the two listed below, which would be the better choice?

Denon AVR590

https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/b/b9/avatar-60-1.jpg[/img]] [/img]

Sony STR DN-1000

https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/d/d8/avatar-60-5.jpg[/img]] [/img]

My TV, Vizio VF552XVT, is trimmed in the piano black finish, DVD player, Vizio VBR-110, is also finished in piano black. In that regard, the Sony would match up lovely. But my main fear is that the Denon is a better sounding unit. If that's the case, I'd get the Denon over the Sony, but if the difference is negligible then I'd get the one that looks better, the Sony.

Let me know what you guys think about these units and which one I should go with. I'd like to place my order this evening if possible.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
While the Sony ES series can hold it's own the standard series is usually not the first recommended around here. Not that Sony is all that bad. It's just that other brands, like Denon, are thought to be a little bit better. I'd get the Denon.

SQMonte

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rich
Might anyone have another suggestion on a receiver I could get for $320 or less that's better than the above listed units?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't know about better but the Yamaha 465, Pioneer 919 and Onkyo 507 are other low price options. But the Denon 590 (and the identicle 1610) is very good for that price.

SQMonte

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rich
Well, I ended up going with the Sony.....I hope I don't regret it

SQMonte

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rich
I got the Sony up and running Thursday night, absolutely love it! Many more features than the Onkyo it replaced, easy to setup and sounds as good as it looks. Very happy with the upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks