1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing 3 room receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by carrwash13, Aug 21, 2013.

1. carrwash13

carrwash13 New User

David
    Hi, I am building a new house and they have pre-wired 3 speakers for sound. Next step is buying a receeiver but I am quite the newb and seem to be getting different answers depending on where I go.

Setup w/ Amp in the living room:
    Living Room = 4 in wall speakers
    Garage = 2 in wall speakers
    Outdoor = 2 regular speakers

Really only need two different sources. I.E. If I am in the living room I am fine with the same source playing outside. However, I would like the option to play a different source in the garage.

Is there a particular receiver you would recommend for this? I will only be playing music over it at this time. Would like to stay in the $500-$600 range if possible.

Pioneer (VSX-1123-K) had one at best buy that said it would work for up to 3 rooms.

Thanks!

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Any 2 zone AVR will do what you ask.

More important...what are the sources?

AM/FM?
    Spotify/Mog/Aupeo?
    CD?
    Directv "radio"?
    Ipod/Iphone/Droid?

3. carrwash13

carrwash13 New User

David
    Main source will be Ipod / Ipad. Any recommendations on a good 2 zone reciever? I said $500 but honestly I will not be blaring music so I am not too worried about getting the best sound possible. Just something that will do a decent job.

Also, how will it work? Will I just hook my 4 indoor living room speakers and 2 outdoor speakers up to zone 1 and then have zone 2 be my garage (since I want a seperate source to listen music while my wife is in the kitchen)

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    You'll need a speaker switch($20) to have either room on or off.Most AVR in that price range, the zone 2 is analog. Meaning, it uses the red/white.And yes, "How will it work?".(as in you answered your own question)It is that obvious.