What's new

Need help adjusting sharpness on Toshiba 42HDX82..... (1 Viewer)

KennB

Grip
Ok I just dont have the eye to adjust my sharpness :frowning: I'm using the avia disc but I just cant see the change when tring to adjust the sharpness setting. So I'm asking if someone can tell me what range I should be at in 0~50(since they say it wont be that high I figured the range would be in 0~50)on my Set?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
If you can't see a difference, turn it all the way down.

Sharpness is not real video processing, and it will cause artificating. If the picture is really blurry (say, NTSC broadcast) turning up sharpness can relieve some of the blur, but DVD and HD shouldn't require any enhancement.

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Hanson,

It is important to be careful here. On newer sets sharpness actually should not be turned all the way down as frequency response will be hurt - this will look like a really soft picture. Sharpness should be set where there are not noticeable artifacts (halos, noise, ect..) but where the picture still appears sharp.

On the Toshiba I find that I am right around 25 - 35 depending on if it's HD (25) or DVD (35).

Regards,

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You are correct -- I have heard that some sets will begin to blur the picture as you approach zero.

Is there a reason? I can only think of the instance where you have a poorly compressed digital signal and want to reduce the effect of MPEG artifacts.

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Hanson,

MPEG artifacts aren't really going to be eliminated by reducing the contrast. I think the reason is to give people the option of a softer picture as well as getting rid of noise from an analog signal or even a digital signal that is introduced by bad cables, signal, ect. You can in essence filter out things such as dot crawl, but really sharpness is a moot point. If a display was designed properly and the system worked the way it should then a sharpness control would only make matters worse. It was introduced because of flaws in the system and it has been kept because people would wonder why there isn't a sharpness control if it was gone and it may hurt sales.

I hope that helps,

Thomas~Mur

Auditioning
Sorry to feed off someone else's post but here goes. Could I use the same settings on my 42h82? I too, do not have an eye to adjust my sharpness.

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas,

Yes, you could feed off of their settings for sharpness. This will get you somewhat close, but probably not exact. Try getting right up on the screen when running the sharpness control up and down (while looking at the test pattern). This will make it easier to see. If you cannot see the effects of sharpness try leaving it around 25 to 35 as stated above.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks