What's new

Need Guidance - New HT Setup (Overkill?) (1 Viewer)

jboog11

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hey all...long time reader but never posted. You guys, along with AVS, have guided me on every purchase I've ever made lol.

Hoping for some insight. Here's the deal.

Moving into new house...huge L shaped basement, but only one section will be used for HT Setup. Approx 20x12-15 (going off memory since im not currently moved in yet). Drop ceiling, standard 8 foot height i believe.

I already have 65" Panasonic VT50. Receiver is Yamaha RX-V1600 but I'll be replacing that primarily because of lack of sufficient HDMI ports. Here are the packages I'm considering (and prices I've gotten)

*Worth noting: I am not really an audiophile and I am married with 4 kids so it's not like I have the luxury to sit and go nuts with loud music too often lol. My concern is really good quality at medium/normal levels with maybe the occasional party).*

Package 1 (Overkill?)
Speakers: 2xDefinitive BP8060's Towers ($850/ea), CS8060HD Center Channel ($679), and 2xSR8040 Surrounds ($200/ea).
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A720 ($549)

Package 2 (Compromise package?)
Speakers: 2xDefinitive BP8040 Towers ($600/ea), CS8040HD Center ($379), 2xSR8040 Surrounds ($200/ea)

Package 3 (Quality/Bang for Buck?
Speakers: 2xDefinitiveBP6B Towers ($300/ea), CS8040HD Center ($379), 2xSR8040 Surrounds ($200) + Definitive SC2000 Sub ($450)

As a buyer I like to go for quality within reason...I'm looking for basically exceptional sound without overkill and not knowing enough about the technology hopefully I can get some insight here. I will saw that I heard the BP8060's at Magnolia/BestBuy and was blown away by the sound but I also saw they were running them off a $1400 Receiver lol

HELP!!!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 8060 would sound fabulous off a Sony STRD520.There is no such thing as overkill...If you had the space/funds...why not four BP8060...or four BP8040...By the way, my main theater (7.1 + height) uses BIC V830 main, V820 surr/back surr, V62 height and V62clrs. Yes, six towers.

jboog11

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Thanx for the reply...

Not overly familiar with that Sony Receiver...but a quick shows it only has 4 HDMI ports...I need atleast 6 which the Yamaha 720 has. Plus, I've had good experience with the Yamaha line of receivers which is why I went that route.

I guess what I mean by overkill is paying for performance I won't benefit from...if that makes any sense. I have the funds and space but also a lovely wife who is not overly enamored with the idea of 2 floor standing speakers, let alone 4 lol...she wins. I'll need to settle for 2 and be happy :) though I can only imagine how nice 6 towers must sound!Kind of hoping for someone to make recommendation, based on their knowledge, as to whcih of the 3 packages is the route to go

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sony receivers are a joke. The 520 is the worst AVR thete is...not counting Sherwood(which that doesn't count NewCastle).Only you can answer "overkill".One person "all they need" is the Infinitu Primus 153.Another needs the Salk SongTower.Still another, the Zu Druid.And another the Wilson Audio Sophia.

jboog11

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Ok, gotcha...forgive my noobness on the Sony receiver lol.I get it comes to the individual with purchase like these...but I guess, if nothing else, wanted to make sure I was at least on the right track with either of the three options. At this point I am leaning towards option 1...just don't want to be thinking after the fact that maybe I should have gone with the 8060's lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks