What's new

Need GeekHelp - Cannot uninstall program (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I have a new laptop that was shipped with an internet security system installed that is conflicting with Vista (the program is Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security). With this installed, Vista does not shut down, sleep, or hibernate properly.

I've given up trying to fix it with an update or patch - I've jumped through several hoops and I'm getting tired of it - so I'd be totally satisfied if I could just uninstall it.

Easy solution, right? Not so fast. Every time I try to uninstall the software, it hangs up the screen almost immediately. I've tried using the programs uninstaller and also using control panel.

I've done system restore to revert to an earlier configuration with no luck.

I've contacted Trend for support via email, but I'm not optimistic. I figure my best shot is my peeps at HTF.

I'm wide open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Congrats on the new PC. How are you sure it is the virus that is causing it not to sleep?

A common problem with laptos is in the power settings. If the power plan setting is 'High Performance' some laptops wont sleep. if you set it to balanced or powersave it may fix the prob.

Uninstalling virus software can be a daunting tax - they often run deep into your system files. Trend micro seems to be particularly buggy. See these;
Trend Micro: Remove All These Other Security Products - Windows BBS
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 Search Result reviews - CNET Reviews

Here are directions direct from TM;
Uninstalling Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 [EN-1033129]

Suspiciously naive in their simplicity...

My bet is that you'll have to use the system disk that came with your laptop to do a clean install. The good news is that it'll wipe out alot of other junk when you do it.

Make sure that you do install some sort of virus/firewall protection. I get FSecure for free and have been pleased with it. Maybe your isp has something... THere are some good reviews out there on other protection software worth looking at...

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Eric.

My power settings are set to "Dell Recommended", which equally balances battery life and performance.

Of the three links provided, the first two contain no useful information. I'll try following the directions on uninstalling (the third link) and check back in.

EDIT: I tried uninstalling using the PCCTool file (the only method I'd not previously tried). Everything went fine until I clicked "Uninstall"; since then, I have the small Vista circle going round 'n round for the past ten minutes. Not looking too promising.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Where did you get the laptop from? Maybe you could RMA it?

I think that a clean reinstall of Vista (or XP) may be in your future.

I am having a similar annoyance and am looking at buying an Apple. Maybe you could get a refund and join me?

Zembonez

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
You might consider just going to TrendMicro's site and reinstalling the provided software. (or pulling ot off of your reinstallation disc) I'm sure the drive on your laptop was just imaged by the manufacturer and it isn't at all uncommon for a file to become corrupt in the process.

I also agree with the above poster's opinion of returning the laptop for exchange or refund if it is brand new. If it came from somebody like Newegg or TigerDirect (or any reputable seller) it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Did they put the Vista program on a partition on your HD that you can reinstall Vista from or do you have the CD? Like others have suggested a would just reinstall Vista and you should have an option to not install the virus protection program in the first place.

Another little program that I use is Crap Cleaner which allows you to uninstall programs and then clean up your registry too. You might want to give that a shot.

The other idea of just returning the laptop for a new one sounds like the best way to go in the end.

Parker

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
UPDATE:

I received a helpful (and fairly quick) reply from Trend on how to uninstall the program. Before I got around to do it, though, the computer started behaving, so I've left it installed (for now).

It's a Dell, by the way.

I appreciate the suggestions, and I like the looks of the Crap Cleaner.

Jon

Edit: Parker, I never realized you're in KC. I just returned from there yesterday. Attended a conference near the Country Club Plaza, dined at Figlio and M&S Grill. Very nice town.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Yep. Been in KC for about 22 years now. I like the Plaza for its laid back atmosphere and great food. Great to walk through on a Sunday morning and have brunch.

If you are in the area again anytime soon head out to Overland Park, KS. They have great food and some of the best electronics B&M stores in the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks