What's new

Need flexible blacklight to charge oval fluorescent paint ceiling mural (1 Viewer)

sfatula

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I have a semi large oval cove ceiling, with trim that would allow for recessed lighting around the oval. That lighting is intended to be blacklight to charge a ceiling mural of the night sky. The oval is about 20'9" by 13'5". So.... Tube lighting wouldn't seem to work since the oval is of course curved. Rope lighting would seem well suited, and I can find some blacklight rope, but, the questions would be:

1. Would the rope light be bright enough to charge to the center?
2. I have read from some mural painters that led blacklight is not proven to work yet to charge the paint. This is over a year old info, not sure if anything has changed. Also, what I have found is 405nm which I also read is not good for the paint, needs to be lower.

So, has anyone successfully used a flexible product that could be mounted in my oval cove ceiling to charge this large an area of paint? If so, where can I find it!? I would love to use led.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Steve.

According to this source Photoluminescent can be charged with blacklight and is actually faster than white light (which is kinda cool)...

http://www.dh-inc.com/photoluminescent-faq

Blacklight is also termed "ultraviolet", just one example of a source (third one down)....

http://saverpluslighting.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=67

In my experience with white light rope lights they are extremely bright and you could run multiple strands for increased wattage if you find you need it and the center isnt getting the energy it needs. And I doubt the fact that its LED makes any difference at all.

sfatula

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Was hoping for someone who actually has done it. I find other sources that say LED not so good for this. As an example, this site:

http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/black-light.aspx

It says "This product is a great VIOLET light using 405 nm, visible light, violet LED’s. However, it is almost completely useless as a black light."

Also says:

"A 365 nm LED is only about 20% efficient as a 405 nm LED. Individual 365 nm LED's are also relatively expensive. Therefore, manufacturers need a massive number of expensive LEDs to create a decent LED Blacklight."

There really aren't any or many 365nm LED strips that I can find, and, as it also says, they don't put out a lot of light.

So, I am quite leery to hope for something to work, or if it should work, etc. Was hoping for someone who has used a product on their ceiling, and it does work. If you know what I mean. It would be very expensive mistake for me to buy and install something only for it not to work.

Surely, someone has lit with blacklight an oval cove ceiling from behind the moulding?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
sfatula said:
It would be very expensive mistake for me to buy and install something only for it not to work.
And a mistake that can easily be avoided. Unless, of course, you plan on doing a full install with non-returnable merchandise without testing first. I would drop Jeff a line and see what he recommends, he's done some cool work:

http://www.nightskymurals.com/

sfatula

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Funny you should say that. I had actually emailed him twice over the last few months since I want to hire him for the mural. No reply though. So, I called and left a message today.

In the other case, my health doesn't allow me to install things any more. So, I have an installer coming for the rest of the HT equipment and related theater room stuff like acoustic panels, stage buildout, etc., but, he's not familiar with glow in dark ceilings. He's also the only one I can find to drive this far without massive surcharge. So, he has been unable, even after calling manufacturers, to provide a definite product. The problem is I am very remote, so, it's not like I can call a guy down the road, I can not. So, there is not time to mess around and try this or that. Nor is there any local source.

Since I don't have the ceiling yet, I can't test it as I don't have whatever paint he uses either. And, I can't bring the installer back due to expense and time and hassle for him. The sequence would have to be lighting installed, then, later, mural painted. If at that time the mural doesn't light so well, I am out of luck.

So..... for these reasons and more (trying to keep this simple!), hoping to find someone who has actually done it. If it cannot be resolved by the time he gets here, I will just have to forget the mural and effect since it will be too late.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Would it be possible to purchase a small LED black light and some paint and just try it in the garage?

These things make glow in the dark paint marvelous. But, I've never tried it over time as a charge. But if the light is constantly on(which can rope light be hidden within a lip?), there is no need for charge...

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Secret-Weapon-Professional-Cat-Dog-Pet/dp/B007F86BPI/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1379978237&sr=8-14&keywords=led+violet+black+light

By the way, the radiation provided by CCFL is the best at charging...the reason LED isn't as good is there is no radiation.

And here is yet another site...
http://lifehacker.com/5458993/paint-your-own-glow+in+the+dark-sketch-wall

NightSkyMurals

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
HI Steve... Did you ever talk with that company in China? If so, I hope that you had better success than I did. I'll try again next week to see if I can get a small sample to play with... though it may be a little late for your timeframe.

Jeff

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
NightSkyMurals said:
HI Steve... Did you ever talk with that company in China? If so, I hope that you had better success than I did. I'll try again next week to see if I can get a small sample to play with... though it may be a little late for your timeframe.

Jeff

Its hard to recommend you if you dont get back to folks in a timely manner Jeff. Two emails with no reply never looks good regardless of the quality of your work, jus sayin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks