What's new

Need Bad Day at Black Rock on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Attachments

• Spencer Tracy.jpg
    Spencer Tracy.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 128

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A classic like this deserves the full special edition treatment, but I'd be happy with a Warner Archive Blu-ray at this point.

Number 6

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Hahn
I'm a bit of a Bad Day at Black Rock fanatic. One of my prized possessions is a mint condition of an original one-sheet. This is on my holy grail list of titles for blu.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Matt Hough said:
A classic like this deserves the full special edition treatment, but I'd be happy with a Warner Archive Blu-ray at this point.
With the s-l-o-w rate of Warner Blu-ray Archive releases, I think we'd all be dead by the time Warner got around to it! It's a key & famous 50's movie with a legendary star, & it really should be out on a good looking Blu-ray by now, but I suppose there's a lot of classic movies awaiting the Blu treatment, & more than a few won't get it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This one will probably take a while due to the elements in question. The DVD itself was good, but left much to be desired, probably owing much to the "MetroColor" process used in the film.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I would not be at all surprised to see this film come out via Twilight Time. In fact I think that's more likely than Fox releasing it themselves on BRD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Robin9 said:
I would not be at all surprised to see this film come out via Twilight Time. In fact I think that's more likely than Fox releasing it themselves on BRD.
The thread tag says MGM, but Warner owns this film outright, so no TT.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Brandon Conway said:
The thread tag says MGM, but Warner owns this film outright, so no TT.
You're quite right. I had a brain storm, and I know how and why. Both Ernest Bornine and Lee Marvin were also in Violent Saturday which is, of course, a Fox movie and which I've seen recently on BRD.

Everyone: please ignore my earlier post. It's total nonsense!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I have this on DVD but haven't watched it. My memories are from the great Criterion Laserdisc with the John Sturges commentary. I bought the DVD thinking it was there but it's a scholar instead - can anyone give a review of it?If Warner decides to give more films to Criterion after Badlands, this would be an ideal candidate owing to their already having exclusive extras.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
+1 wanting this, but then I can think off the top of my head 10 films with Spencer Tracy that I would like to see out on blu ray

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Moe Dickstein said:
I have this on DVD but haven't watched it. My memories are from the great Criterion Laserdisc with the John Sturges commentary. I bought the DVD thinking it was there but it's a scholar instead - can anyone give a review of it?

If Warner decides to give more films to Criterion after Badlands, this would be an ideal candidate owing to their already having exclusive extras.
I would say the transfer on the DVD is a significant upgrade over the laser disc. However, the commentary on the DVD is only okay. Nothing special.

Listening to the commentary by John Sturges on the Criterion laser disc was like taking a workshop with him. A clinic on how to direct movies. I transferred it to VHS, and later transferred the VHS to DVD-R. I listen to it occasionally. What a shame it couldn't be included on the DVD. It's the best commentary I've heard because it's so instructive. Not burdened by trivia.

BadDayAtBlackRock-1955-MGM-half_zps96beca0a.jpg

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Richard--W said:
Listening to the commentary by John Sturges on the Criterion laser disc was like taking a workshop with him. A clinic on how to direct movies. I transferred it to VHS, and later transferred the VHS to DVD-R. I listen to it occasionally. What a shame it couldn't be included on the DVD. It's the best commentary I've heard because it's so instructive. Not burdened by trivia.
Thanks. Just the project I needed for this long, rainy Memorial Day weekend.
Would love to see this, and Inherit the Wind (1960) on Blu-ray.
Found an old thread here that hasn't been updated in a while. Might be of interest to others.: Criterion Laserdisc Commentaries NOT on DVD (Yet)

View attachment 1735

View attachment 1736

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
JoHud said:
This one will probably take a while due to the elements in question. The DVD itself was good, but left much to be desired, probably owing much to the "MetroColor" process used in the film.
I'm sure this isn't news to most here but Metrocolor was simply Eastman Color processed by the MGM lab. The credits for BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK actually say "Eastman Color" because at this point the studio labs around town hadn't started putting their names in the credits.

The various labs processed Eastman Color negative the same way. Some were a bit more careful than others, but by and large an Eastman negative at Metrocolor was no different than an Eastman negative at Deluxe.

Prints of course were another matter. Deluxe didn't have a good reputation for print quality well up into the 1970's, whereas Metrocolor did excellent work. Nevertheless, Eastman prints, no matter who printed them, had a limited shelf life. Better processing, such as what was found at Technicolor and Metrocolor, extended the color life of many Eastman prints, but they all eventually turned. Only since the introduction of lowfade stocks in the early 1980's (and of course Technicolor dye transfer prints before that) have color prints had any sort of longevity.

Lastly, most of the Eastman negatives from the early to mid-1950's tend to hold up better color-wise than titles shot at the end of the decade. There is definitely some fade in the earlier negatives, but it can usually be compensated for, so there's a good chance that BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK still has plenty of color left.

Here's hoping WB gets around to the Blu-ray on this title. It doesn't stream online in HD, so perhaps they haven't done any work on this title of late.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks