1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

need amp advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by profdon, Nov 28, 2012.

1. profdon

profdon Auditioning

Help please,:huh:
    I just purchased a new Sony CDPCE500 disc player and need to buy a new amplifier to go with, What does the group recommend? It will be used in a 16' X 20" high ceiling (12 ft) room with good not great acoustics. All advice welcome, thanks.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    How about a pair of Boulder monoblocks for $195,000? http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1011/boulder_3050_monoblocks.htm
    If that is too much, please post a budget so we can narrow the choices down. And do you want an amp or a receiver? They are different.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Or you do want an Integrated amp?...as that is different than an amp and a receiver.

4. profdon

profdon Auditioning

OK so I'm new and wouldn't call myself a hardcore audiophile, I just like to listen to my CD collection on a fairly decent system. The instructions with the player just say "connect to the input jacks of the amplifier". I don't have one, so what should I look for? My speakers were custom built several years ago and have been in storage for the last five and look just fine. They are the ones I used with my previous Sony player. Since the player cost under $200 I don't want to go bananas on an amp. I just want a really decent sound in my "man cave". Suggestions?:rolleyes:

5. Phil A

Phil A Premium
    Supporter

Phil
    You would want an integated amp (amp w/preamp). The instructions are generic, meaning receiver or something that could control the volume - some stand alone amplifiers have volume controls. I'd get a stereo receiver if you wanted to be reasonable. Something like these - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/StereoReceivers/Home-Audio/Stereo-Receivers/1.html The $300 Marantz would likely sound decent

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Out of all of those...I'd choose the Denon DRA-397