What's new

need amp advice (1 Viewer)

profdon

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Mackenzie
Help please,:confused:
I just purchased a new Sony CDPCE500 disc player and need to buy a new amplifier to go with, What does the group recommend? It will be used in a 16' X 20" high ceiling (12 ft) room with good not great acoustics. All advice welcome, thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How about a pair of Boulder monoblocks for $195,000? http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1011/boulder_3050_monoblocks.htm
If that is too much, please post a budget so we can narrow the choices down. And do you want an amp or a receiver? They are different.

profdon

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Mackenzie
OK so I'm new and wouldn't call myself a hardcore audiophile, I just like to listen to my CD collection on a fairly decent system. The instructions with the player just say "connect to the input jacks of the amplifier". I don't have one, so what should I look for? My speakers were custom built several years ago and have been in storage for the last five and look just fine. They are the ones I used with my previous Sony player. Since the player cost under $200 I don't want to go bananas on an amp. I just want a really decent sound in my "man cave". Suggestions?:rolleyes:

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You would want an integated amp (amp w/preamp). The instructions are generic, meaning receiver or something that could control the volume - some stand alone amplifiers have volume controls. I'd get a stereo receiver if you wanted to be reasonable. Something like these - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/StereoReceivers/Home-Audio/Stereo-Receivers/1.html The $300 Marantz would likely sound decent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks