What's new

Need Advice re: Blu-Ray, component hookup and Pioneer Elite TV (1 Viewer)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about taking the plunge and purchasing a Blu-Ray unit. Here is my dilemma, the TV that I watch 90% of the time is a 6 year old Pioneer Elite Pro 520. It does not have an HDMI connection.

In the basement I have a Samsung TV that I watch only 10% of the time. It is very uncomfortable to watch movies down there and the screen is smaller 40 inch vs 55 inch.

My question is ........If I buy the Blu-Ray unit, and hook it up to my Pioneer Elite via composit cables, is it worth the purchase ?

If I hook up the Blu-Ray downstairs, I just won't use it as often as I would like. Now, knowing most of you I know that your solution would be "Buy a New TV". :laugh: While I agree with that premise, let's assume that it is not in the budget for a couple years.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Mark, when you say composit, do you mean component? (This is a cable with three connections - green, red blue) You have a Pioneer Elite set, so I can't imagine it doesn't have component. If you do have component, you can get an HD image. But if you really do have only composite - a single yellow connector for video, you will not be able to see the HD image.

I have a five year old Pioneer RPTV and am currently enjoying HD DVD and HD cable via component. I hope to add blu-ray before the year is out. You need to check exactly what connections you do have on your TV!

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Yes. Sorry typo there. Should read "component". Fixed now. Thanks for taking the time to respond..

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I don't see any reason not to go for it!

Heck, I'm still using a 40" Toshiba Rear Projector that I've had since 2000. Blu-Ray looks great hooked up via component cables.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mark: Thanks for this thread. This is also something I've been concerned about as I am about to go Blu-ray with an older HD CRT with no HDMI myself.

Glad to hear everything should be okay.

Fellas: is there a difference between the image we'll see from the component connection than if we had HDMI?

BTW, Mark: I can hardly go a day without mixing up component, composite and coaxial connections. :D

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
For a high def source, the image you see via HDMI and component should be pretty much identical. I say pretty much because there will always be debates about the quality of analog inputs vs. digital inputs and such.

Your DVDs will not be upconverted to High Def via component. This is because of copy protection concerns. I have heard that some players will upconvert DVDs that are not copy protected, but most DVDs are.

There's also the risk that someday some studio will start mandating that component outputs be de-rezed to deliver lower quality, but that isn't something that I've heard any discussion of in years. It shouldn't be a big concern.

The important thing is that if you already have a High Definition TV and don't want to upgrade, you don't have to.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I've run a 30ft component cable (Blue Jeans) and a 6ft HDMI cable (Monoprice) to my projector trying to determine if there is a difference. To my eyes there was none. Both emitted identical images even when inspected at 3in from the screen. You should have zero concerns about running component video cables.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Gregory: This contradicts what some others have told me. It was my understanding that while this was projected to be the case when the HD players came into existence it has not been proven out. Are you sure? It's getting to hard to know what-to-believe. Or, maybe it's just me (most likely) getting confused by an onslaught of information on the new technology!

Thanks to everyone for the education.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor

You and me both. :)

I'll admit that I am not an expert on upconverting DVD players, and I was just repeating what I had heard through the grapevine. I guess it could depend on the player. I can tell you that the PS3 does not upconvert via component cables.

Perhaps somebody with a more hand's on knowledge of upconverting can answer this question.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:D The voume of new information really is amazing. That's what makes a place like this so great--the willingness to share.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I thank you all. I had been leaning towards purchasing a PS3, but think I will wait another two weeks and buy the new Samsung combo player. I had been gun shy about a new player because of the "no HDMI" issue, but will now purchase without fear.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor

I actually should be able to help answer that question. I was one of the lucky people who attended the EMA Expo out in Vegas and recently got the Panasonic DMP-BD10A. I hooked it up a couple of days ago but haven't had time to do anything with it.

If nobody else has answered your question, I should be able to early next week. I'm out of town right now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Then--if no one else responds, Gregory--I await your return home! :D

I wonder if there is any way to tell--if a player is upconverting SD-DVDs--besides what your own eyeballs register.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike, I'm sure that that Panny BRD player will NOT work with your set. But I'll be glad to take it off your hands for $75.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks