What's new

Need advice on stereo pre-amp (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Ok I'm moving soon and I won't have room for a full blown HT setup anymore. My new setup will consist of an HK Sig 2.1 (shipping to me as we speak), Sony 775 CD/SACD player, Panasonic RV31K DVD player, subwoofer, and bookshelf speakers (most likely Polk LSi7's but possibly the 9's if I can scrape the money together).

I'd like to get a nice stereo pre-amp for the next 8 months or so. Basically I will be using it for 2 channel listening and DVD's. So it really only needs a subwoofer output, pre-outs, and nice binding posts. If possible I'd like it to be able to output Dolby 2.0 for the discs that have it, but that's not a necessity as this is only temperary.

I'd like to spend around $100 but I can probably bump that up to $200 if I have to. I dont' mind going the ebay or audiogon route. I was thinking about getting a lower end HK receiver and just using that, but I dont' want to have to pay for features that I won't use. I also thought about some of the Onkyo or HK stereo receivers, but I don't need the amplification. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
A good stereo preamp for $100 is next to impossible. And with a sub-out, forget about it. I only know of one 2 channel preamp with an internal analog crossover and it's the B&K.

You should buy a powered sub with a built in low-pass crossover, maybe a used older Adcom pre-amp and use a passive line level highpass crossovers for between the pre and amp.

Just a thought.

BTW, Your only sending analog signals to a 2 channel preamp so it wont matter if it's a CD, DD 5.1 or 2.0 or whatever. The pre wont know the difference and the dvd player will output 2 channel on any Dolby Digital DVD. Say good bye to DTS though.

Good Luck!

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Have no fear, Ricky is here :)

The Adcom GTP600 DPL preamp/tuner has a subwoofer out with selectable highpass, a nice tuner, and learning remote. The 2 channel performance is identical to the GTP450 stereo only preamp/tuner (no subwoofer out). Retail $1200, they are going for $100-170 on ebay. The GTP550 DPL preamp/tuner is very similar to the 600 (without the s-video and learning remote).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...088539226&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...089737487&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...090958491&rd=1

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Allen,

Ricky is pointing you in the right direction.

With that budget, you’ll have to go with something used, for sure, and even then it might be a challenge. Check eBay. An Adcom would certainly be a great choice for the price, if you can swing it, and if you want a DPL unit.

Other Japanese companies have made regular stereo pre-amps over the years; you can often find nice units from the 80s or early 90s. The higher end models still demand a good price, but other models can regularly be found for under $100. Don’t let the age scare you - since they have no moving parts, things like amplifier and pre-amps last a very long time.

As Tom indicated, you won’t get any Dolby Digital processing, even 2.0. You’ll have to use the analog stereo outputs of your DVD or CD player.

The sub output situation shouldn’t be a problem. You can always split the pre-amp’s main outputs and send one side to the sub. Of course, you’ll have no bass management for the L/R speakers, but you will have a functioning sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Thx for the advice guys. I figured Dolby 2.0 was a pipe dream, but I had to make sure. What If I could live without a subwoofer? Would that open up any more choices?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
What is Dolby 2.0? Like Tom said, if you have just two speakers and output just the analog signals from all of your sources, then you only have 2 channel stereo (with or without a sub).

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
Your dvd player will decode DD and output 2.0 with analog interconnects or you could select the DD 2.0 track from the DVD.

You can get a sub hooked up in their. Use line level preout to the sub (powered with crossover built-in) and get those highpass filters from the link I posted above. I wouldnt limit my preamp choices looking for an internal crossover. The Adcoms offer alot of bang for the buck. Look for a GFP-555II or if you can swing it the GFP-565.

Good Luck!

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Ricky T, thanks for that heads up! That sounds like just what I need too. Especially with the sub output.

Even though it is pretty much obsolete as a pre/pro for movies, will the 600 still be as good or better on 2 channel stereo as say an older Adcom 565 pre? I realize it is newer, so it should have upgraded circuitry over the 565. Plus it has a halfway decent tuner to boot.

Thanks in advance!

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Mark,

Adcom tech says the GTP600/GTP550 2 channel performance would be identical to the GTP450 stereo preamp/tuner's. How the 450 compares to the 565, I'm not sure. And the 600's tuner is nice, and the unit looks great too.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Ok I've been looking for some alternatives to the 600 that might be a little cheaper. Any opinions on these models:

Harman Kardon PT2300
Onkyo P-3160
Rotel RCT-970
Rotel RDA-975
NAD series 1000

Info on some of these is pretty scarce so I'm not sure if they meet all my needs. The HK is leading the pack though since it appears to meet all my criteria and will probably mate will with my Sig 2.1 amp.

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
I mentioned that piece in my 1st post but doubt you'll find one in the "around $100 but I can probably bump that up to $200 if I have to" price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks