What's new

Need advice on RPTV! (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Even aside from future proofing... having both DVI and HDMI is a way way cool thing for sure.

So do the majority really think a set with only 1080i component inputs for HD, will be obsolete in a few years? 5 years? 7 years? 10 years? I mean heck, right now the U.S. compliance with even the ability to view HDTV is pretty darn poor at the overall consumer level.

That was the biggest thing I gave up, in going with the set I went with. I mean, I can't imagine when movies will not be put out on "regular" DVD. But it does bug me some, I have no DVI, I admit, even though it has been a non issue so far for me.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
I like to have a widescreen since i watch lot of DVDs.But then i hate the black bars on sides when i watch normal NTSC TV or old VHS.The picture looks small.

I must say i hate watching 1.85 movies in theaters.They look small on a 2.35 screen unless they use black curtains.I am glad that spiderman 2 is 2.35.I know it is an illusion but it bothers me sometimes.I am sure the broadcaster will later think of changing HDTV to 2.35.Then the older 16:9 HDTV programs will be in trouble.So why are we moving onto 16:9?Why dont they jump onto 2.35 directly when it is widely used in cinema.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It took us this long to get to public acceptance of 16:9 -vs- 4:3, I can't imagine how long it will take to gain acceptance of anything even wider, but you never know.

1.78:1 is catching on though, more movies seem to be comming out in film on this ratio than other ratio's these days. Really not just 1.78:1, anywhere from 1.66:1 to 1.85:1 really is what I am talking about here. HDTV has had some impact on this, I am sure of it. Of course since my upgrade to HDTV, the wider the better I say!!! But that is because now my screen size is nice and big no matter what ratio it is in really.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I doubt it. The 4:3 standard lasted for 60 odd years, so I would not look for it anytime soon. Besides, the 16:9 was chosen partially because it was the best compromise between 4:3 and 2.35:1.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator

This was because all we had was the normal NTSC television broadcasts and the VHS tapes for decades.Not to mention the ugly bulging sets!It wasn't untill DVDs and digital broadcasting came to the scene people started thinking seriously about widescreen and high resolution.

See how fast the home entertaiment has developed in the last decade.We never know, the future is here!

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
Guys plz tell me which brands are known to have a bright picture.I don't want the picture to look dull, i only turn off the lights while watching movies otherwise i like medium lighting in my room.

I am on a budget, so i have decided to go down on size for a brighter picture(not below 40 though).

And what are the other factors to look for?Do all projection TVs convert signals to HD resolution?Are scan lines visible in non HDTV projections?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks