What's new

Need a Subwoofer Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Nathan-C

Grip
Hello,
I know its been a while since I last posted something, but I need your help. I need a new subwoofer. I am looking for something in the 500-800 dollar range. I really have my heart set on a Velodyne spl 800 series II, but want to know should I look else where. I have a 14x16 room, Yamaha rx v1400 running a 7.1 setup. I have def techs 100s for my front and centers and gallo micros for my surrounds. I will use the sub for both movies and music. I currently have an onkyo sub that is really "boomy". Please let me know and include price if you can. I am looking everywhere even ebay. Any help is appreciated. Oh one last thing, WAF is in full effect and is why I am looking at the spl 800. Need something that will blend in nicely.

Thanks,
Nathan

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have to strongly second MichaelPR there on the SVS...
Best for the $$ and will get more than the velo...

Nathan-C

Grip
Mikeli, You mention it will get more than the velo, more what? and why the svs? How are sunfire subs?

MichaelPR

Second Unit
well Nathan for one thing the SVS runs flat at 75db down to about 18hz in my setup. I mean that is just awesome for the money. I'm talking solid bass here too! Not any harsh booming. With my previous Sony Sub I got a lot of Boom. But since it was so low I couldnt hear how distorted it sounded. Unknown to me at the time this is why I often listen to my system far below anythign close to reference. With the SVS I typically jack it up ALOT because the sound is so much more appealing and is not grating on my ears at all. It is grating on the walls, picture frames, dishes, and even shakes my washer and dryer! for $500 I can't reccomend anything better. Although I do not have much experience with any alternatives at this price range. After reading up on the internet this sub was the clear winner for my setup. Good luck in whatever you choose and please let us know what you get and how it sounds!

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
If WAF is a big portion of your decision I don't see your wife liking the pb-10. Though I am sure it is a great sub it is not small in any way. Have you considered the Rocket UFW-10. It looks as though it has good WAF and is said to be a very good sub.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Physics comes into play on all speakers. Bigger if done properly is much better for HT as it lets you feel those low LFE's. The Rocket UFW-10 is a great sub and goes fairly low. Great for a smaller sized room but it would not be a shaker. Mark is working on an Ultra over there and I would love to, well I will have to get one and compare it to my SVS. As far as Velo's are concerned, Many SVS'ers have gotten rid of their Velo's for SVS subs. And Sunfire I hear is also a good sub but I can't comment on that one as I have never heard one. Have heard good things about it though but I have never looked much at them except for their advertising in Magazines. Looks as though the physics come up again though as they are smaller. Probably a bit better for music but for HT your not going to feel jurasic Park walking across your body. This whole thing is so subjective just like choosing a speaker system. Some people use a sub more for music that HT and the other way around. Some like to feel it.. I do, my wife could care less.. Good luck on what ever you get as I am sure it will be far superior to what you had....
MikeL

Nathan-C

Grip
Thanks for the recommendations, so how big is the SVS pb10? The sub will be used more for HT. I do want to feel the bass. More than I want to hear it. I have looked in to the Rocket UFW-10 since it received a good review on audioholics. So why not a velo spl, I have read many reviews praising it. How do you tell if a sub is better for music or HT?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Nathan,

The dims on the PB10-ISD are very close to: 15 ½" wide x 19" high x 21 ½" deep

As has been noted, it's hardly a tiny subwoofer (nor would most call it "huge"), but its size was very much by design. Performance was the primary consideration with development of this SVS, size is usually a secondary issue with us.

More about it is on this page.

Hope that helps some.

Ron
SVS

mackie

Supporting Actor
Nathan - I'll go against the grain on this one. I have Velodyne SPL 1000-II and love it. I'm not really a bass hound, and music is my main priority. I also didn't want a big sub crowding my living room.

Yes, it is more expensive than a SVS or Hsu, but I got mine as part of a package deal. I bought a Mitsubishi RPTV, Denon Receiver and the Velo SPL1000 together. While I was charged "full price" for the sub, I got the TV and receiver at a pretty good discount, so I ended up paying about $700 less than full price for the entire set-up.

BTW - the SPL1000 WILL shake the floor, furniture, pictures, the cat:D

I have no personal experience with either SVS or HSU, but they appear to make a great product at a great price.

Demetrius

Agent
Nathan,

I have purchased a Sunfire Ultimate EQ sub and it is truly awesome (this sub is not in your price range though). I still haven't eliminated all the rattles in the theater yet so there are distractions when it gets rather loud. The sub goes very low (published down to 16 Hz) and it does rock the room. My sister likes the size (or lack thereof) 13" cubed and beautiful finish! People can't believe that all that power comes from such a small package, although it does supply 2700 watts. It is very well made and doesn't draw a lot of attention to itself (This sub "Walks the Walk" in my opinion)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks