1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a Recommendation for Rear and Center Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MikeCocc, Sep 30, 2003.

1. MikeCocc

MikeCocc Active Member

I got in on the Kenwood VR-6050 deal that was running on Ecost last week and expect my receiver to come in any day now.

I need some recommendations for speakers. I have only mains right now. A pair of JBL LX55's that I purchased over 10 years ago. They are currently hooked up to a Kenwood KR-V8040 and still sound great.

My questions:

Should and/or can I use the LX55's as mains on my new receiver?

If so, does anyone have a recommendation for rear & center speakers that would go well with these mains?

If not, I have been looking real hard at the Fluance speakers that everyone seems to be recommending. Would those work well with the 6050?

Thanks for the help in advance..

2. Mike<>

Mike<> Member

ideally you would get 5 matching speakers.

if that is not possible, your next best bet would be to get new left/center/right speakers, and move the lx55s to surround duty.

what's your budget?

3. MikeCocc

MikeCocc Active Member

I probably don't want to spend over $300 no matter which way I go. The Fluance speakers have caught my attention because I can get them for around $250 delivered.

I think the LX55's would make better main speakers than the Fluance's but then I run into the problem of matching center and rear speakers to them.

Here are the specs for the LX55's

• Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 10 - 200 watts
    • Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
    • Woofer: 10" high polymer laminate
    • Midrange Driver: 5" high polymer laminate
    • Tweeter: 1" pure titanium dome
    • Frequency Response: 40Hz - 20kHz
    • Crossover Frequency(ies): 800Hz, 4kHz
    • Sensitivity: 92dB (1 watt/1 meter)

Here are the specs for the Fluance Main Speakers (AV-HTB)

System Type: 3 Way - 3 Driver Floorstanding Main Speakers
    Tweeter: 1 inch Titanium Soft Dome Ferrofluid Cooled For Longer Life
    Midrange: 4 inch Poly-coated Driver with Butyl Rubber Surround
    Woofer: 6.5 inch Poly-coated Driver with Butyl Rubber Surrounds
    Power Handling: 20 - 120 Watts
    Frequency Response: 38 - 20K Hz
    Sensitivity: 88±2dB
    Crossover Frequency: 1000/3500 Hz PCB Mounted Circuitry
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Enclosure: Bass Reflex Design
    Dimensions: 33.0 X 8.3 X 9.8 inches (H x W x D)
    Weight: 27.3 pounds/speaker

I'm extremely new to this HT stuff so any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Are the LX55's better mains than the Fluance speakers? If so how much better?

I'd probably be willing to go over $300 budget ( budgets are made to be broken, right ? ) if getting good rears and a center speaker to match the LX55's would give me a much better HT system than the Fluance's.

All of this is probably pretty subjective but again I appreciate any/all suggestions.

Thanks again
    Mike

4. Evan M

Evan M Well-Known Member

I too would be interested what folks think about this.. as I have a very similar problem and budget. Is the only way to be sure you get good voice matching between speakers to buy a set.. or buy all from the same manufacturer? What's the secret?

I've been looking at several "sets" of speakers (including the Fluance), and am thinking the Onkyo SKS-HT510 looks the most appealing at this point (Comes with a sub, and one more suround than the others, and is only about $300)

Others I am looking at are:
    Fluance AV-HTB 5 Speaker Set (No sub concerns me...I need one.. )
    Harmon Kardon HKTS 12 (Looks like $350-400.. worth the extra?)

Anyways, sorry to but in on your thread.. know this doesn't answer you question, but thought you might be interested in the other options I've seen as well.

5. MikeCocc

MikeCocc Active Member

** BUMP **

Evan, feel free to butt in on this thread. The more the merrier. [​IMG]

My current situation still stands:

The VR-6050 has been delivered but I have not gotten around to hooking it up to the JBL's. I will do this over the weekend. I am probably going to pick up some rears and a center channel at a B&M store to see how things sound ( I think I will leave the sub out for now ).

I still would like some advice from those of you on this forum who are in the "know" about this stuff. I really want my system to sound good ( as well as maybe saving a few bucks ).

thanks

6. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Well-Known Member