What's new

Need a new DVD player, <$1000 and not annoying (1 Viewer)

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I have a Sony NS900V, and a couple things about it really bug me. First of all, you have to use its bass management, either "large" or "small", with a fixed cutoff at 120 Hz. If I choose large, nothing goes to the sub, and if I choose small, the mains get nothing below 120 Hz. I've seen some players somewhere that have 4 modes: small, small + sub, large, large + sub. I like that because then I can run the mains full and have the sub going as well. A good fifth mode would be OFF, so I could just use my receiver’s bass management.

Secondly, when changing layers on DVD's, there is a noticeable 1.5 - 2 second pause, which is incredibly annoying, and totally kills any immersion in the movie that I had up until that point.

On the other hand, the player has great picture quality, and excellent sound quality considering that it's primarily a DVD player.

So for my next DVD player, I want something that has great sound quality (first priority), has good bass management options, plays SACD's, and doesn't pause when changing layers. Oh, and I can't spend more than a grand.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks