What's new

Need a new DVD-Audio Machine (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Heh. :laugh: It'd be a long wait, I returned the 661 soon after I got it due to HDCP handshake issues with my AE900 projector. I'm still doing analog hi-rez at the moment from my Oppo 970, but my short time listening to that player via HDMI into the 661 convinced me to sell my Denon 2900. Fantastic hi-res audio receiver.
I'm kinda hoping the 663 plays better with my AE900, but it's probably the projector's fault.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Since you don't own any, maybe you should consider getting Dark Side of the Moon for your very first SACD. ;) :D

I've been contemplating getting the Onkyo 805 as well. How's the space heating working for you so far? ;) That's probably the main concern I'd have w/ it right now.

Hmmm... I wonder if my Denon 2910 can output DSD bitstream via HDMI. I never bothered to check when I bought it little more than a year ago.

_Man_

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
According to the specs, it doesn't appear the 2910 can pass SACD in any form (native DSD or converted to PCM) over HDMI. It can send DVD-A via HDMI, though.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Sorry, Jack...didn't realize you returned the 661. I remember you being fairly vocal about using it as a prepro about the same time a friend of mine upgraded to one. At the time, I couldn't quite pry my credit card out to order one myself even though I encouraged others to do so.

Man-Fai, the 805 does get warm, but it's actually the processor chip section, not the amplifiers. Being the only HDMI receiver I've ever seen in person, I can't say if it's any hotter than others. Even the 10 year old S-N AVP-9080 it replaced had a smaller in area, but still rather hot spot on one of its board and it had no video processing. I'm running the 805 as a prepro only and according to the internal probe, it stabilized at 54C/129F after running for 4-5 hours straight...internal fans stayed off. If you've ever looked at running temps of CPUs/GPUs over the past few years, that's a fairly normal range. I think some of the Athlon cpus are rated as high as 95C safely and some Nvidia GPUs are in the neighborhood or even higher. IOW, I think Onkyo is being sincere when they say the temps we're seeing are normal. I'll probably still add a quiet fan just to encourage a bit of air movement, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. One would assume Onkyo stress tested these things, including accelerated aging at "normal" operating temperatures before releasing them.

Not a big Pink Floyd fan, so I'll have to pass, thanks anyway. Based on a DVD sampler, I'm going to pick up some "Big Phat Band" titles on DVD-A this week.

-Brent

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I did buy one and loved it but couldn't work around the HDCP thing with the pj. Others seem not to have the issue, so I think it may be the AE900.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Brent for all that info.
Another in a string of (dumb!) reasons hi-res surround flopped. :frowning:

* off-topic note: IMO a receiver that can process audio from its HDMI inputs - ANY type of processing - really should include some type of logo indicating that capability. This stuff is getting very complicated, so why should consumers be forced to guess or read through some badly-written manual indicating the existance of such an important feature?!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
But only after decoding/uncompressing/unpacking to LPCM. The PCM data is sent to the AVR via HDMI where it is processed and converted to analog.

By the same token, HD-DVD/BD players that decode internally don't need 6 analog outs, just an HDMI 1.1 connection and AVR (that accepts HDMI audio), as decoded TrueHD, etc. is PCM.

In the end, it really doesn't matter where this decoding occurs, the unpacking to PCM must occur regardless before any processing and D/A conversion.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review. Whew I'm glad someone owns this machine - it's been on sale for like 3 years now so I was hoping someone would chime in. :emoji_thumbsup:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Jack: appreciate the explanation. So it looks like the player manufacturers want the receiver companies to include the processing chips. Oh wait, excpet for Sharp I guess they're both made by the same companies. Er, so is the consumer benefitting from this somehow?......:confused:

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Sorry to get back on track - but I have talked to two salesman (well one women) and they swore up and down that if I bought a HD Blue Ray machine, most have 7.1 jacks on the back and would be able to play DVD-Audio - any truth to this?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
^ I'll bet the sales people are thinking of the Dolby Digital and/or DTS tracks (and stereo LPCM tracks many dvd-audios include) that a dvd-audio disc includes, rather than the hi-res tracks.

Because I only know of one BD player that plays dvd-audio hi-res tracks & that is a Panasonic sold a year ago, but I think it's already out of production (sorry can't remember model #).

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I have the PT-AE900U and I am now looking for a receiver with HDMI 1.2a or above for use with my PS3 and Oppo DV-980H and I am seriously considering the Yamaha RX-V661 or RX-V663. Did you determine whether or not the RX-V663 works well with the Panasonic PT-AE900U?

As has been stated, only one Blu-ray player to date that plays the MLP tracks on DVD-A discs, and that is the Panasonic DMP-BD10A/K. So far only one Blu-ray player plays SACD and that is the PS3, all models to date except the 40GB. Hopefully Denon will have a Blu-ray/DVD-A/SACD player out within a year or two and I expect Oppo to offer one if it is determined a market exists at the necessary price.

Chris

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Chris, I have not. I haven't gotten one, and don't recall anything in the 663 thread about the combo. I do know that folks were using the 661 with the AE900, which I couldn't get to work, leading me to suspect my pj.

OT, but since you have a PS3 and AE900, does the Panasonic in fact accept a 1080p/24fps input? The manual says it will, but I don't have such a source.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Yes, my PT-AE900 does accept 1080p/24Hz, I have tried it with my PS3 and Samsung BD-P1200. I can't tell it improves the image over 720p/60Hz, I was interested to see if my players output that resolution and my next projection will be 1080p, when I buy one in a few years, that is.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks