What's new

Need a New AVR, Dreded Onkyo(TX-SR 707) "No Sound" (1 Viewer)

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Ok, This is the place I go when I need to know. I have the Onkyo TX-SR 707....and it seems it has always been hicky...just not enough for me to persue the endless negotiations to have Customer service warranty it!! I dont need 7.2 My house will never be big enough, I do need a very dependable 5.1with at least 100w per channel, 4k and 3D pass through, and a 12v trigger out for my Emotiva XPA-3 I use for my front sound stage....(Dont ask I have to make budget consessions also)...The wattage is use for the rear spkrs... I know 100w sounds like overkill for the rears, but I feel the higher the rating.... when I really push the system it will preform with less distortion and less heat....Call me crazy. Buy the way just bought my first Oppo (103) Talk about ironic my wife (the accountant) thinks its the best money we have spent........So any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks,
Stiffy

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks, I am not familliar with Anthem but will look them up. One thing I am comming to realize after buying the Oppo and viewing it on a 5yr old Sony display (LCD) is even though its digital (Xs -Os) how those Xs -Os are processed makes a big difference.
Thanks again for the tip,
Stiffy

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Ok, Wow nice stuff. Thanks for the tip......Did I mention I am middle class and ....Married :unsure:. Under a grand would be nice,I have been eying a Denon -x3000, but seems like alot of over kill for me to get the features I need. 12v trigger is big, why have a universal (harmony) remote if you have to get up to turn on your amp every time you power up.(SUCKS)
Appreciate the suggestion, just a little out of reach for me at this time.
Thanks,
Stiffy

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...have a 707 as well. I did the $75 Ebay repair...it oops again.Was replaced by an 807.Also have a 1008 and two Integra.

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Soooo, What am I Missing....you had a problem with Onkyo,..fixed it ....but failed again.....and bought two more Onkyos and it looks like Integra the 3rd AVR is made buy Onkyo..or vice versa.....What virtues do find in, and I am unaware of, are in the product that initially failed you? Is Onkyo really that mutch for the buck?
Thanks,
Stiffy

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Integra DTR 5.8 was bought used when BD won the format war(first HDMI AVR) Then had a Yamaha 6080. Then bought the 1008 used "dead"(typical X08 flat wire problem) and fixed it.Sold the 6080 cause I hated it. Bought the 707 used for $250(including the iPod dock, which I sold)Then stumbled on a used Integra 7.8 for $375.Then the 707 fubared. I paid the fix, then I remembered I got a squaretrade. They swapped me the 807. The shop didn't want the 707, so I got to keep it(tempted to fix it again).

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
The 707 Is a Relay problem isn't it I can tell buy the Click or weekness of.....Is it silid state, board replace or (it sounds like) a visible isolated relay. I have been very tempted to open it up. I am a HVAC guy But have done well with compute repairs.
Stiffy

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Have you considered a UMC-1 and a UPA-2 (or another two channel amp)? They come up on the used market all the time. Might be cheaper. 3D pass through is a non issue as your Oppo has dual HDMI outs and when do you plan on getting a 4k TV???

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Admitedly 4k isnt in the near picture given the cost, Just didnt want to be too short sighted.....I like the all in one out of my avr now, Buy the way had to replace the video imput board in my Sony 3mnts out of warranty. (The Oppo will handle it and has upconverting). That said buy Xmass I want to be looking for a new display.....and we will look hard at the Plasma. I really appreciate your input, I hope this forum isnt getting to specific but Iam learning and thats I think what this is all about. In your oppinion what is the best AVR for the buck...used/new etc...And really what should I be focused on outside of my basic requirements? Are you saying I can get better prosessing going with a second dedicated amp for the rear spkrs and a Pre out processor?
Thanks,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks