What's new

Need a little advice - outdoor speakers with Yamaha receiver (1 Viewer)

jslow68

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I have been banging my head against the wall trying to get my outdoor speakers to work. I have a 5.1 system inside.
I purchased a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver with a 2nd zone to run the outdoor speakers. I wanted to run my outdoor speakers off this but I found out they will only take an analog signal. I am trying to access my music through apple tv. But that is hooked up with and HDMI cable, so it won't work.
I also tried a external 2 channel amp connected to the Zone 2 out jacks. Still nothing.
Does any one have a solution? Whats the point of the second zone if it's only analog?
I'm not an expert by any means. So any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by jslow68 /t/320897/need-a-little-advice-outdoor-speakers-with-yamaha-receiver#post_3928175
I have been banging my head against the wall trying to get my outdoor speakers to work. I have a 5.1 system inside.
I purchased a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver with a 2nd zone to run the outdoor speakers. I wanted to run my outdoor speakers off this but I found out they will only take an analog signal. I am trying to access my music through apple tv. But that is hooked up with and HDMI cable, so it won't work.
I also tried a external 2 channel amp connected to the Zone 2 out jacks. Still nothing.
Does any one have a solution? Whats the point of the second zone if it's only analog?
I'm not an expert by any means. So any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Some of the higher end models allow both digital and analog switching for zone2. Its not the amp its the actual switching in the receiver. You either need to just plug in a CD player that can playback MP3 burned CDs, a portable MP3 player like an iPod/iPad, or if you want to use your Apple TV get a D to A converter and in addition to the HDMI input plug it into an analog input for your zone 2 speakers. Something like this:
f5255788_51btWN6xRL__SL500_AA300_.jpeg

Its about $30 with shipping from Amazon. You would take the included cable, plug it into the Toslink output on your Apple TV (I am assuming you have the current version) and then connect the analog output from the converter to your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks