What's new

Need a DVD storage solution (1 Viewer)

derefed

Auditioning
Real Name
Leland Hooker
I own about 500-600 DVDs and up until this point, I've been storing them in CD/DVD binders (not unlike Amazon.com: Case Logic Nylon 336-Disc CD Wallet (Black): Electronics ). I've recently discovered, however, that these binders, though extremely convenient, as I like to take them with me places, can be potentially very damaging to the discs. I experienced this first hand with the "smudges" they cause after a few years that won't clean off, and with some disc skipping on discs that previously had not skipped. After doing some research, I've decided to purchase 600 Amaray cases to keep my discs in from now on, as those appear to be generally considered as the best storage for DVDs in terms of safety.

I'm going to be buying from U.S. Plastic Corp, as they appear to be one of the only retailers out there that sells at a decent price, and I've also heard of others buying from there before, so they seem trustworthy enough. I have a bit of a dilemma though. According to this page (Simplistix Plus | Caring For Your CD's & DVD's For Longer Life) and several others, the standard Amaray case (Amaray® Premium Single and Double DVD Cases - US Plastic Corporation) is the way to go. There's a newer Amaray II model, however, which claims to be even better for discs (United States Plastic Corporation ®, and is actually a few cents cheaper (which will save me about $20 in the long run). Can anyone vouch for which has the better safety? Has anyone used these cases?

Also, if there are any further suggestions as to my solution, I'm all ears... this is going to be quite the investment, and I want to make sure I do it right. I didn't spend a few grand on DVDs that I love only to have them crap out after a few years due to shoddy storage. ;)

Thanks!

derefed

Auditioning
Real Name
Leland Hooker

No, I still have all of them... but most of them are those crappy cases that make you feel like you're breaking the disc just trying to remove it. Also, some of the cases are made of cheap plastic that gets a lot of wear simply by opening.

derefed

Auditioning
Real Name
Leland Hooker

Interesting... this looks pretty good. Just a few questions. Where is the contact made with the discs and with the selector? I can't quite discern how that's done from the pictures.... I want to make sure that the things that touch are incredibly soft and made for DVD contact. Also, how well do they travel? Are the discs secure and safe enough to be moved around often?

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I've got a DiscGear Selector 80 (old model) that I use for computer discs. The lid has a little latch on it with a little bit of plastic on the inside that's sprung loaded to make contact with the edge of the disc. You have to pull the latch and then slide the selector left and right. Once you release the latch the plastic makes contact with the edge of the disc and grips it in the groove in the lid. When you open the lid, the disc is lifted out.

I haven't tried it for movies, but it's been fine for Data DVD/CD over the years - but I've tended to use it for archives and the odd magazine cover disc I want to keep. It occasionally doesn't pick up a disc but that's when I've not got the latch in the right place.

Putting the disc back, you just drop it back in to its slot. My worry is that with a lot of daily use you'd scratch the disc if it accidentally catches on an adjacent disc as you drop it back in. There's only a couple of millimeters at most between each disc

derefed

Auditioning
Real Name
Leland Hooker
Hmm... that would be my worry too.

So does anyone have any thoughts on Amaray Standard v.s. Amaray II?

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
From what I can see on the website, there doesn't look to be too much in it.

The Amary II has the option of an insert for a second disc which the standard doesn't have - might be useful and you wouldn't have to bother trying to find a different model for 2 disc sets.

Is there much difference in the central button hub - that's always the bit I get frustrated with?

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If I were going to re-case all of my DVDs I would use Thinpak cases. I've already replaced all of my snappers and some of the more annoying digipaks with Thinpaks.

They are very flexible and discs are easy to remove from the hubs.

derefed

Auditioning
Real Name
Leland Hooker

I was thinking about that too. One of my concerns was, however, that the disc is being held too close to the back of the case and may touch during transport, whereas the standard Amaray case holds the disc up above the backing. According to my research, Amaray is the one that everyone lauds as being the safest. Can anyone argue this case for Thinpaks?

Also, if Thinpaks are just as good, would using soft adhesive pads take care of the problem of the disc touching the back? Could a pad even fit?

derefed

Auditioning
Real Name
Leland Hooker
So I ordered an Amaray II case and the standard Amaray case to compare them before my big purchase. Here's the pros/cons of each.

Standard Amaray case
- Opening the case is easy, just about the same as most cases out there.
- Insertion is decent, but sometimes takes two presses to the center rim of the disc to get in, as there are 3 plastic tab catches in the center.
- Removal is pretty good, you just press the center and lift up from the side as normal. Every once in a while you need a couple presses.
- The disc is held up away from the back of the case (unlike the ThinPak), which is good. A very nice feature that this case has is that along the outer rim of the disc (the thin, data-less part) there is a support where the rim can rest. Therefore, the disc cannot be pushed and slanted when held in place.

Amaray II case
- Opening the case takes a bit of effort; kind of annoying.
- Insertion is easier than the standard case, and always takes one small, effortless pop in the center to snap it into place. There are two tabs to keep it secure.
- Removal is by far the best I've ever encountered. You simply push down directly on the button and it pops the disc right out. This is definitely the best feature on this case.
- The disc is held up away from the back like the other case, but it does not have the outer rim support, which means it's free to be slanted and pushed down. This makes me question the safety a bit, but then again, it would appear that the only time that it'd ever be held down like that is if someone were to actually push it down, and even then, the contact with the back is made only on the outer rim (as far as I can tell). Also, there is a support on the inner spine that aids in keeping the disc from doing this when the case is shut.

This is a tough decision. I'm leaning toward the standard Amaray case, as that's what people recommend and has a better overall ease-of-use and doesn't let the disc slant. The Amaray II case, however, does claim to have "enhanced safety features", which I can only speculate about. The Amaray II case also costs less and, again, has the best removal of any case I've ever seen. The difficulty of actually opening the case, however, makes me hesitate.

What do you guys think? What sounds like the safest solution?

Thanks again for your help.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
For me, the time when I'm most likely to damage a disc is removing it. I've had some new purchases where it's been very stiff to get the disc off the central hub!

For that reason, I'd say the Amaray II - once the disc is safely in, and on the shelf, it's not likely to be moved much, or are you planning on carrying them around a lot?

derefed

Auditioning
Real Name
Leland Hooker
Actually, I am planning on moving them back and forth quite a bit, at least for the next couple of years, so that is a concern.

And I know what you mean by the difficult-to-remove hubs... most of my season sets come that way, and that's one of the reasons why I'm not simply putting my discs back into their original cases. The standard Amaray is definitely no where near that bad though... it's just that the Amaray II is really really cool. ;)

Interesting note: apparently, the company that makes the cases (Amaray themselves, I'm assuming) do NOT make the cases that feature central hubs with the two raised tabs, one of which has written on it "PUSH". This was in fact the case I was expecting, but after talking to a service rep from U.S. Plastics Corp today, Amaray is no longer making those hubs, and instead are using these new ones with the three tabs.

pankarty

Grip
Real Name
pankarty
kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanman abkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanab kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanab

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I've got a DiscGear Selector 80 (old model) that I use for computer discs. The lid has a little latch on it with a little bit of plastic on the inside that's sprung loaded to make contact with the edge of the disc. You have to pull the latch and then slide the selector left and right. Once you release the latch the plastic makes contact with the edge of the disc and grips it in the groove in the lid. When you open the lid, the disc is lifted out.

I haven't tried it for movies, but it's been fine for Data DVD/CD over the years - but I've tended to use it for archives and the odd magazine cover disc I want to keep. It occasionally doesn't pick up a disc but that's when I've not got the latch in the right place.

Putting the disc back, you just drop it back in to its slot. My worry is that with a lot of daily use you'd scratch the disc if it accidentally catches on an adjacent disc as you drop it back in. There's only a couple of millimeters at most between each disc

I've been using Discgear boxes for years now (no room to keep all the cases). Their website includes a catalog feature that I find indispensable - DVD Profiler has a space for Box and Slot, so I don't have to keep them in any particular order in the boxes. I just look up a title in Profiler, check the location an pull that Discgear box and grab the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks