1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

need 7 speakers (excluding sub) for $500 - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bret Pritchett, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Well-Known Member

Topic says it all. I need a center, left, right, and 4 surround speakers. Its a tight budget - I really want to keep it under $500 (I have 2 vacations I have to save $ for this year). Any suggestions?

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Well-Known Member

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Well-Known Member

I second Ian suggestion, you wont get a better set for your budget, very good for movies. I have a NSP1 and its incredible the sound this speakers have, and mathching them with N38 you will end up with a great setup.

4. Chad A

Chad A Well-Known Member

I suggest you take a look at the Wharfedale Diamond 7.2 speakers over at Buy.com.

They're on sale for $80 a pair and if they sound half as good as my Diamond 8 series they are damn sure worth $40 a piece. I think they're including free shipping right now also.
    I'd get 4 pairs and use one as your center but since it's not shielded you'll have to keep it a few feet away from the screen, and..........you'd have an extra 8th speaker all for under $320 shipped.
    IMO that's the best deal out there on the lowest of budgets.

5. Nick B

Nick B Well-Known Member

Buy a gun and a mask! LOL!

6. Jin E

Jin E Well-Known Member

HTD Level III bookshelves on clerance direct from the vendor. Old style ones are $150, while new styles are $179 for a pair. Two pairs = $360. Add a level III center for another $150... or you can get the Level II Bstock on clearance for $60. The setup should run you a little over $500 at most. Great speakers for the money. Much better IMHO then the JBL NSP/N24's. The N24's sounded hollow and "plastic" to me. I know people rave about them but I've never enjoyed the sound from them... unlike the HTD's I've heard.

http://www.htdaudio.com/clearanceitems.html

7. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Well-Known Member

These things are so subjective.I think with the right receiver and the right accoustics in a room things can sound entirely different. I've read good reviews on the N24's
    http://cheaphometheater.com/jbl-N24.htm
    I've also read people worshipping them and people writing they weren't worth the time of day. I think however as surrounds the N24's offer good value and the N38's as mains are excellent as well.

8. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Well-Known Member

Quote:
    These things are so subjective.I think with the right receiver and the right accoustics in a room things can sound entirely different.

I have a Harman Kardon avr 325. Any particular speakers come to mind to go with a HK receiver?

9. David W Johnson

Paradigm speakers sound sweet with HK receivers.

Paradigm Atoms for the front and rear: $180/pair
    Paradigm CC-70 Center channel: $100/each

IMO for 500 bucks, you can't do better.

10. ChrisArmour

ChrisArmour Well-Known Member

How about the Home Theater Direct Middies? You can get seven of them for $490+s/h.
    HTD Middies

11. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Well-Known Member

I'm a real believer in floor standing speakers. With good sized drivers from floor standers you'll get a good full sound for highs, mids and low frequencies. I have a H/K avr125 driving a set of Fluance sx-htb. They're clean, undistorted and also full in sound.