What's new

Need 3D Projector suggestions ... (1 Viewer)

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Hi guys ... So I need some suggestions on which 3D Projector I should get for the home theater room in the basement of my new house .. The room was custom built to be a home theater room, and will primarily be used to watch movies, TV shows, play games, etc ..

I've looked around, and one projector which seems to be generally recommended is the Epson 5030UB (or 5020, which is the previous model) ... Are there any other serious contenders to consider here ? What are the tradeoffs, if any ?

This will be my first own projector, which I personally own, so I'm looking for something awesome :D .. My max price range would be about $2500 ~ $3500 I guess ..

I think I'll most probably be having a 16:9 screen, with about 110" ~ 120" diagonal length ..

The room's layout is shown below:

V9x6L.jpg

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
In the interest of taking advantage of the best acoustic performance your room has to offer I recommend you reconsider your layout. This is roughly what I suggest...

layout_zps91f13476.jpg

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
schan1269 said:
If you care about 3D...buy a DLP.
schan1269 said:
Why a DLP projector ? Any particular reason ?
Type A said:
In the interest of taking advantage of the best acoustic performance your room has to offer I recommend you reconsider your layout. This is roughly what I suggest...

layout_zps91f13476.jpg
Unfortunately that cannot be done at this stage. The ground work for the wiring has already been done, and it cannot be changed. We tried changing the layout before too, but there were too many external factors which 'forced' us to stick with the layout shown in the picture ... To 'fix' the acoustics issue in the original layout, I can try to maybe put up a curtain on the right hand side, to 'correct' the acoustics of the room ..

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
schan1269 said:
DLP is preferred over LCD in light controlled situations.Just like plasma TV is preferred over LCD for the same reasons.
light controlled situations ? ... I'm new to this term ... I know that LEDs/LCDs have better whites and Plasmas have better blacks, but I've always been an 'LCD/LED' kinda guy I think, as I own 3-4 LEDs/LCDs, but no Plasma experience (burnout scares me) .. So I guess I'm happy with the brightness of LCD/LED ... Or it could just be that I've never really experienced the other side ..

But what does that have to do with 3D ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Burn out (whatever that is) is a non-issue. If you meant burn in, that hasn't been an issue since 2007.DLP blows LCD away. Unless you want a bright and "vivid mode" picture.

Since when have LCD had better whites?

Better contrast(what you meant) creates better white. Unless you are confusing "bright" with white.

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
schan1269 said:
Burn out (whatever that is) is a non-issue. If you meant burn in, that hasn't been an issue since 2007.DLP blows LCD away. Unless you want a bright and "vivid mode" picture.

Since when have LCD had better whites?

Better contrast(what you meant) creates better white. Unless you are confusing "bright" with white.
Yeah sorry, 'burn in' was what I was referring to :)

Anyways, I've googled quite a bit on DLP projectors, but there's no 'hard' evidence I've found anywhere which suggests that DLP projectors are generally better than LCD projectors, or vica versa ? So how do I decide which one to get ?

Plus, you still haven't stated why you recommend DLP over LCD, considering the fact that I want 3D ? Is the 3D better on DLP ? If so, I haven't seen this mentioned or explained anywhere ..

Lastly, projectorcentral.com still seems to be recommending the Epson 5020/5030 as the 2013 winner, over all others .. Doesn't this mean that Epson 5020/5030 wins here ?

My budget for the projector is $2500 ~ $3500, so what are your recommendations for this budget estimate .. ?

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
So which projector do you recommend, which is overally best for 2D and 3D, and is under $4000 (ideally!) .. ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The BenQ at 14 feet(the closest it can be for 120") creates a brighter image than the Mits at 12 feet(as close as it can be for 120")

The Mits, on the other hand, has quite a bit better contrast.

So...your room...luminance of said room...etc....will make your choice for you.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
One vote for the 5020 here. I compared DLPs to the LCDs last year and didn't find them to 'blow away' at all, both had positives in their favor, I chose based on budget and availability. YMMV.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Im in agreement with Sam, and I currently have 4 PJs in my main theater room.

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
What about a 2 projector setup ? A JVC DLA-RS45 for watching 2D content, and a Benq 1070 for 3D stuff ? This configuration seems to be recommended over at AVS, although I partially think it might be an overkill for me, since I've never personally owned even a single projector before :P ... The suggestors of this idea say that I can get a used RJ45, so that the total of both projectors is still within ~$3000 .. Compared to just one Epson 5030, costing $2600 ..I do want to maximize my HT room's performance, and I've checked the reviews and both the above stated projectors do seem to come highly recommended for their preferred dimensionality (2D or 3D), but having two projectors somehow seems a little bogus to me ... Like a person with 2 heads :P ..I guess I have to judge how much of a performance difference will it be between the two models: 1) Just one Epson 5030, or 2) Refurbished/b-stock JVC DLA-RS45 + Benq 1070 ...Money is not that much of a big concern, especially when the difference between the two models is just a few $100 bills, but still, which makes more sense here .. :SAny advice on this ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks