What's new

NCAA Football 2005 Season (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Well, just to have some fun with the NCAA I just snail mailed and emailed a copy of this letter to them.

"To whom it may concern,

I recently read a decision made by your organization about how offensive names will no longer be tolerated. As an Irish man I would like to formally complain about Notre Dame's mascot, The Fighting Irish. My entire life I have had to put up with jokes concerning my heritage about the Irish being drunks and brawlers. I hope your organization sees how inappropriate it is for a college to use the name "Fighting" Irish to represent an entire group of people. I also find their use of a Leprechaun as demeaning and humiliating to Irish people. It is no different than using Chief Wahoo to represent all Indians. Please, please, please put Notre Dame on your list of offensive names as well. I know many of my Irish friends feel the same way and find the name and mascot beyond insulting.

Thank you for your time.
Jed McChesney"

I am mostly English, but I do have some Irish in me. Either way, I am sick of this PC crap so I am just going to play their game and see how they feel when their stupid laws start applying to their favorite schools.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
"Coming from a long line of hard working Dutch citrus growers I must express my displeasure that the highly offensive Syracuse Orangemen were not included on the NCAA's list of offensive team nicknames. My whole life I have been subjected to ridicule because of that team. Believe me, life is hard enough when you spend all day walking around a citrus grove in wooden shoes. Please NCAA, save me from further insult."

Sincerely,

Jan Van Schoonhoven

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
As much as it pains me, I think USC needs to be added to the list of offensive team names. All of those people out there wearing Trojan brand condoms are being ridiculed everytime they see the Trojan riding around on his horse after a touchdown.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Granted I am a homer, but I just saw a poll conducted by ESPN asking what was the toughest conference in College Football and to my surprise, out of 27,000 votes, the Big 10 ran away with it with 37%. No offense to the Big 10 but if they have ever been down it is now. The talking heads disagreed with the results too, claiming all the Michigan fans were voting like crazy. :) I was also surprised the Big 12 came in last. The way I rank them, the SEC and Big 12 are tied for first, ACC second and Big 10 should be third. The Pac 10 was not in the poll but I would put them around the Big 10 now.
Here were the results:
Big 10 - 37%
SEC - 28%
ACC - 19%
Big 12 - 16%

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

Boy, I hope so. Being a Husker fan in the middle of Hawkeye/Cyclone country, I'd love nothing more than NU rise back to dominance. The thing is, I just don't think Callahan's the guy to do it.

Oh, I think he's a good recruiter, but he and his DC Cosgrove (Wisconsin's former DC) really stunk up the joint with their bullheaded gamecalling.

I think USC will do well this season, but I agree with all the staff defections they'll stumble somewhere along the way.

I thought Texas would finally beat OU last year, so I won't make that mistake again. I think the National champion will probably come out of the SEC.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

How on earth can you get credits for that? We had mandatory gym rotations for freshman year and it was 0 credits. Makes you wonder why USC is still so far behind ND in the rivalry when they're just 1 step up on Miami's basket weaving program for academic difficulty.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Why dont they just continue to back out of contracts with better schools until they have a perfect season? :angry: If those odds are really right, I'd be hard pressed NOT to bet against USC. I just have a gut feeling this year that someone will beat them. Any given week you dont know what is going to happen. What if Leinart goes down with a a season-ending injury in the first game? I'd have taken a bet with anyone that said Iowa loses 4 backs to ACLs last year and I would have lost. You never know.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
It reminds me of when Danny Nee was NU's basketball coach. He recruited talent that average coaches could have won championships with, but couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Of course, as long as Callahan keeps bringing poor to mediocre seasons, I hope they keep him forever.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Me too, but we both know that wont happen. I see you are from CB, and I can tell you (your experience may be the same) that if you are not a Husker fan or are just blah about them, the attitude here drives you to be an actual active Husker fan. I grew up in Iowa and went to the U of I and moved to Omaha. I could've cared less about Nebraska football but the attitude here makes me actively want to see them fail. People in this state need to get a grip.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I've lived in and around Nebraska since 1973 and with each passing year Nebraskans make me hate their precious gods a little bit more! I've actually quite enjoyed all the crying and sobbing since Solich drove the program into the ground. (Now I know many would argue that .500 seasons are far from "driven into the ground", but of course when a team has Nebraska's schedule and only plays 1 or 2 teams a season, a .500 year is quite pathetic.)

BTW, I love your Wizard of Oz synopsis in your sig!!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well if you look at any team, the odds are they're going to stumble and lose a game. It wasn't too many seasons ago, that the championship was being fought over by 3 teams all with one loss. There's no guarantee that USC is going to win it all, and if you were to make a bet like "I bet USC won't win the national championship", then the odds are that you'd win. But that would be even more true if you said "I bet Team X won't win the national championship". Of all the teams out there, I think USC has the best shot, but not so much so that I'd bet them against the field at even money. And if anyone is willing to make such a bet, I'll take it. I'll bet you $10000 straight up, that any one team you name, won't win the national championship this year. Any takers?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Unless he has a Christmas Carol type epiphany and changes his ways (highly unlikely in my opinion), I'm sure Mack Brown is going to do lots of things bitch-slap worthy this year. But his egregiously unethical behavior from last year certainly merits continued bitch-slapping from me through at least 2010.

I read an interesting article today about how one of the Harris Poll voters is an ex-Texas coach, which might make you think he'd be biased towards Texas, but apparently UT treated him very badly before eventually firing him, so maybe he'll hold a grudge against Texas instead. It would certainly be karmic re: Mack Brown.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor

Our performance since I wrote this is as Jim Rome would say "a little above average." Three losses in three years, the last two by six points.

Still we have to remain humble. Start out in front of 90,000 crazed Dawgs - Georgia on Sept 3. They will run on the Broncos till they beat us down. A great game would be for us to score 35 points.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I don't have $10,000 to bet, but if I did, I would say that Michigan won't win the national championship. :D

Waiting for Scott to reply.....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks