What's new

NCAA Football 2004 (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I know that yesterday I said that the closeness of the Auburn game didn't mean that they shouldn't have been considered, but now I've got to wonder what an Auburn vs. USC game would've looked like. Oklahoma being in this game, hey they earned the spot by not losing during the season and now they're getting slaughtered.

Back to the above argument for just a second, I also think it sucks that Auburn's preseason ranking played a part in screwing them over. Holy crap, I have an idea why don't we all in this thread try to come up with something that makes even less sense and proves less than the BCS does?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This has to be one of the longest national championship games ever. Now we are finally in the 4th quarter and USC finally punts for the second time in the game!

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Auburn wouldn't have had a prayer against SC, and the AP voting tomorrow will prove it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
INT for USC, bad bad night for White.

Didn't Stoops run up the score on Nebraska this year? Karma can be a wicked mistress.

USC pours it one with another TD! It's going to be 55-10 now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Since, Cal couldn't take care of business in their bowl game, I have zero sympathy for them. In other words, bullshit.

Crawdaddy

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
This should put to rest any doubt that USC is the #1 team in the country, but I'm sure there will still be those who insist otherwise. (see for example this website) :rolleyes

I understand having no sympathy for them, but it's certainly not bullshit to believe that IF Cal had gotten into the Rose Bowl like they deserved, that they would have beaten Michigan. I'd bet you $10,000 that if you put Cal and Texas on the field tomorrow that Cal would do to Texas what USC just did to Oklahoma. Yes, it's a shame that they got so dejected by Mack Brown's voting bullshit that they didn't come to play in the game against Texas Tech, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't beat Texas or Michigan.

But who cares? USC won and all is right in the football world for now. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Hats off to USC, but in all honesty, declaring a champion, particularly this year, is a steaming pile of BS. Honestly, what other sports league on earth declares a champion with 3 freaking undefeated teams? Speculation is absurd. Does nobody honestly think Auburn or particularly Utah would not have done significantly better than OU? In the end it doesn't matter, because the same load of crap system which screwed over USC last year, named them champ this year. If anything, this year is a bigger mess than last year.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Bingo, George. Props to USC, otherwise known affectionately as the University of Scholastic Compromise (not unlike UNLV and the University of Miami :D), and praise be to the PAC-10. Y'all take care, now, y'hear!?

;)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to the USC Trojans for their dominating performance tonight. They left no doubt as to who the #1 team in the country is. I caught part of the game as I was at work. Leinart looked like he was playing against a Pop Warner team out there.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I couldn't be happier (well, I can always be happier I guess) that USC won today. I've been listening all week to how the Pac 10 is overrated and a finese conference. After Cal got drubbed in the Holiday Bowl it only got worse. USC winning the title only helps Pac 10 schools -- Being a WSU alum (Washington State), I know that their are a ton of kids we'll lose to USC, but I also say that there are more quality players that will stay in conference because of conference prestige and the right coach saying "You're the difference, you're what WSU needs to unseat USC."

It's frustrating how soon people forget -- my Cougs didn't get a bowl this year, not happy about it, but things happen. But this is the same team that clobbered Texas last year in the Holiday Bowl after they were pissing and moaning they weren't a BSC team (and the Cougs could also have been a BSC team, had they beat the friggin' Huskies). Oh yeah, and the Cougs were the last team since Cal to beat USC. :)

Sorry, had to feel better about our poor year. Congrats to USC, thanks for keeping more kids in conference and giving the Pac 10 a little spotlight!

Doug

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Texas sucks. They blubbered and moaned their way into the Rose Bowl and barely beat an average Michigan team. I hope a Pac-10 team plays them in a bowl next year and kicks the cowpies out of them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Why make such a silly comment about the $10,000 when that scenario is never going to happen in this football season? Oh, I get it, displaying bravado without actually having to gamble the $10,000. Anyhow, just for clarification purposes, I live in Michigan now at least until I retire, but I hate Michigan teams and I mean all Michigan teams. Actually, I can't stand the Big Ten and I root for ND or USC in football, since those were the college football teams I followed while growing up during the 1960s. There was no ESPN then just tape delayed ND football and periodically, a late Saturday afternoon game showing O.J. running the ball under John McKay.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Um, yeah. Texas won their game, and Cal couldn't beat Texas Tech. If Cal had dominated Tech I might agree that the Pac-10 fans had a point complaining about Texas being in the Rose Bowl, but it comes off like sour grapes in light of the results.

Congrats to USC for an outstanding game in the Orange Bowl. Definitely the #1 team in the country.

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How on earth can you people be claiming USC is clearly the #1 team? The idea is completely absurd. The system is BS

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

I think any team that could get distracted enough by such trivialities to lose the game at hand doesn't deserve to play in the Rose Bowl. Robert had it right. They can talk all they want about their alledged abilities and greatness as a team, but they got beat. They had a chance to make a statement but like many teams this year, they ended up being alot of hot air.

Congrats to USC. Definitely an earned national championship.

Bruce

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Maybe, the system is BS, but USC is clearly the #1 team to me. If Auburn had beaten VT handily, then I might have to question my thinking.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
John - I tend to agree with Robert. The combination of a close Auburn / VT game and USC's mauling of OU tonight make it fairly easy for me to believe that USC is the #1 team with little or no question in my mind. Obviously without a playoff system or possibly a +1 game ( winner of 1 & 2 faces next highest ranked team to win its bowl ) it is a problematic statement; but consider it a statement of belief, if not fact despite my previous 'definitely'.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks