What's new

NCAA College Football 2007 (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
A few thoughts:

USC played great, but only sporadically. They're going to have to play at full intensity, or else they're going to stumble.

I spent July in Ann Arbor taking some classes, and so was mildly rooting for them. But I can't help but be happy when a team gets punished for scheduling a cupcake. I wish all cupcakes would win their games. I realize that not everyone is going to schedule Notre Dame's level of opponents, but going to I-AA is just slimy, IMO and deserves to backfire. It's only too bad that Texas escaped their near-upset. :frowning:

I don't think the problem with Notre Dame is the QB so much, as the offensive line. The greatest QB in the world isn't going to look good if the o-line just let's the defenders rush through unimpeded.

Pre-season polls may have problems, but if you think they're going away you're more deluded than a voter who puts Michigan at #1 today. There's a better chance of getting a playoff system than seeing polls not start up til October.

For myself, I don't have the knowledge to make any preseason rankings, and I do realize that one week is only one week, but here's my current top 10:

1 - LSU
2 - Oklahoma
3 - Georgia Tech
4 - USC
5 - Ohio State
6 - California
7 - Nebraska
8 - Texas
9 - Florida
10 - Georgia

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I knew that it'd be a close game as I wasn't that impressed with Auburn during the Cotton Bowl. Nebraska could have won that one with some better coaching.

I will respectfully disagree with the statement that the B12 North is Missouri's to lose. Given that Nebraska was there last year, has improved in several areas, and that Missouri hasn't been there and have fallen apart a some point the last few seasons, means that it's Nebraska's to lose. Missouri's got to prove itself.

Also, I don't see the North as being a cakewalk this year. Colorado's back to beating its rival, Colorado St. and while KSU is young, I think if they can develop a threat beyond their QB, they'll have a thing or two to say about the North, as well. The only one that'll be a gimme this year will be Iowa St.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

He certainly did but the fans will kill him if he doesn't make it to (at least) the Orange Bowl again. I think I can honestly say Louisville has become a football school and the fans are as hyped about about it as Kentucky fans are for basketball. If Louisville had only scored 40-50 points then the coach would have had a lot of questions to answer. He already had several for giving up 10 points.

It's funny but the talk at work today was the fact that no message board, anywhere on the internet, is giving the Big East any credit again. The league walked through the bowl games last year yet everyone seems to think the teams aren't in the same class as others in the Top 25.

As for the Michigan issue, I'm glad to see the smaller guy win. It just goes to show you can schedule easy games but if you overlook that opponent then it can come back and kick you in the butt. Also, it really isn't that big of an upset because Michigan was ranked #5 due to their name and not because they were the fifth best team in the country. The name on the uniform will carry you a long way with fans, poll voters and so on.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It is the biggest drop I can remember and for those of you who think that Oregon is going to beat down Michigan...don't put money on it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I cannot remember a bigger drop, either. Of course, I cannot remember a bigger opening game upset, either. In any case, the voters got this one right,

As for the Oregon game this weekend, I do not know what to expect. On the one hand, the Ducks have a mobile QB, which will give Michigan's defense fits. However, it's hard to predict how the Wolverines will react to last week's loss -- will they still be shaken, or will they come out angry and take it out on Oregon? Beats the heck out of me!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm predicting a major asskicking by Oregon. Their spread offense which Michigan has shown they can't stop will be a major issue. I'd definitely bet the over in this game.

Also it appears that this is the first time since 1965 since Michigan was not in the AP poll after the first week of the season. That's 42 years. Jeez.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Yes, it will be interesting to see how they respond. If they don't respond well, they very well could have a 7-5, 8-4 kind of season. If they respond well, they will contend for the Big Ten championship. We will know more after Saturday, but I am inclined to say that they will man-up, come out focused and take care of Oregon. I don't think their senior leadership will accept anything less. Obviously, their defense will be a work in progress all season.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I think this is the biggest upset in the history of college football.

Can anyone name any upset that was bigger?

In fact can anyone name a bigger upset in any team sport?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

No, but back in high school one of my buddies loved wearing his Centre T-Shirt that describes the 8-0 victory over Harvard. :)

I'm excited about Kentucky football honestly. Andre Woodson has some crazy windup throw that I'm surprised most teams haven't exploited yet.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Well, Shane, I will be in Norman on Saturday as I am for every home game. I absolutely cannot wait for this game. Miami's defense will be the toughest defense OU faces all year, and if OU gets by Miami, especially in respectable fashion, they may make a beeline for the National Championship. Granted they were only playing North Texas, but that QB was REALLY impressive, OU ran 265 yards on a team that sold out to stop the run, the defense was swarming and the secondary is what has been missing from OU for several years. I don't want to count my chickens too soon, but I'm very, very excited, not only about what is quite possible this year, but also the fact that the QBs and DeMarco Murray are Freshmen, Allen Patrick is only a junior and there isn't a senior among the entire receiving core. The defense is young too. Man, I may sound like a homer here -- and I am -- but I'm not only thinking about National Championship this year, but I'm already thinking they could repeat next year.

Hey, what good are predictions halfway through a season. Now's the time to put it all on the line. And I'm doing it. Bud Wilkinson won a National Championship and then consecutive Championships for a total of three. Barry Switzer won consecutive Championships in '74 and '75 and again in '85 for a total of three. Bob Stoops won a National Championship in 2000 and I'm predicting he will win consecutive Championships in 2007 and 2008, but three won't be his total before he's finished at Oklahoma. You read it here first folks.

How about Texas falling to Number 7 in the AP and ESPN/Coach's Poll after their less than impressive win against Arkansas State.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mike,

I do think you should be optimistic as OU does have a young team and a great coaching staff. Are they also young on defense? I don't remember. I would caution you however. When Michigan had to play Chad Henne as a freshman and he had such a great season, Michigan fans started thinking of the future too. They have had quite a bit of success, but they did not live up to the highest expectations. It is hard to do so (and then you have years like this). People expected OU to wind with AD or with Jason White returning. It is just not easy. That is what makes it so special. Oh yeah, don't forget it is a long season.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

I am planning on going Shane and will be in touch with you soon....some other things need to get in line first though. :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
If I am totally wrong on this, I'm totally wrong.. but this is the largest drop since 1959. Then, OU (#5) lost to Notre Dame (#3) in the first game of the year, and fell to #21. (I may be off on the year) but that's the farthest before this.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The AP poll was expanded to 25 teams in 89 so it couldn't have been the AP poll in regards to OU.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
A number 5 team lost to a number 3 team and dropped to 21???? And they say there's no anti-OU bias. Geez!!!

DavidJ, OU did come the Championship game away from winning with Jason White twice, the second time with Adrian Peterson. Yes, it's a very tough thing to do.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm almost positive that Notre Dame didn't even play Oklahoma in 1959, so I don't think that's a good example of any supposed anti-Oklahoma bias.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I believe it was 1957.
http://www.phys.utk.edu/sorensen/cfr...957_Games.html

Chris did say he was probably off a year or so.

Mike,
I think you are too optimisitc about this team. I still have little faith in their secondary and QB. He played well but against scrubs. Their 3rd string back was racking up the yardage as well.

Even if they kill Miami, I still won't have that much confidence in them due to how the mighty have fallen in Miami. The "U" isn't what they used to be but it will be fun to get revenge after being smoked by them in 1985.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

1980 U.S. vs. U.S.S.R. has been mentioned, but another one that is just as big or even bigger would be Chaminade vs. Virginia in 1982.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks