What's new

NCAA Basketball 2004-2005 discussion (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wow, the #1, and #3 ranked teams lost this afternoon, and #2 UNC had to come up with a miracle comeback to stave off Duke.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Those UNC Tar HEELS! WHOOOOO! What a game :).

Where is that Corbin Stein (or whatever his name is) anyway. Funny how people disappear when they are wrong!

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
UNC played a great 1st half and a sloppy 2nd half. I'll take the victory, but it was closer than it should have been, especially with Reddick's poor performance for Duke.

Next NC State/Wake Forest at 8pm.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I am a Duke fan and was watching it w/ some friends who are Carolina fans.
They were ecstatic and I was irritated despite expecting Duke to lose this game. The last 3 minutes bugged me and some of the Carolina fans agreed, but did not care.
The Carolina fans gloated that Duke deserved the loss even if the officiating was "so-so" at the end. IMO, even w/ the turnovers the officiating was needed to cause the loss, but I am biased. Supposedly all ref's are pro-Duke. Coach "K" pays them or something :rolleyes.

Anyway, it's been bugging me for quite a while. Over the years I keep getting bugged by officiating and I do not want to scapegoat them. They always get blamed, however, I like my officials like my waiters, invisible and competent.
Is officiating that hard? Why does it seem to swing w/ the tides in the game? Am I just getting old or are officials just making so many wrong calls and make-up calls.
Win or loss, bad officiating turns me off to sports.
The true spirit of sport keeps me from watching the NBA. I prefer college basketball. It's why I like the NFL. They really have it together. I have ref'ed before in many sports and do not understand what is going through the official's mind sometimes.
Had to get this off my chest.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
What a day of upsets!!! #1 and #3 go down. And I cannot forget to mention that KU loses to MU!! Haha! Yeah baby! (I'm a K-Stater) :D

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't it strange? Whenever another fan complains about the calls that Duke gets, we get an "eye roll" but when Duke loses, all I hear about is..."THE REFS"...

Come on people, an 11-0 run, DEFENSE! The refs might make up for 2 points, but not the other 9.

Accept it.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Congrats on finally beating my beloved Cats, John. Both of our teams were trying to give it away with awful turnovers for a while there, but Roberson was clutch enough (plus the big 3 in the last minute by Walsh) for you guys to win.

Not still concerned about making the NCAAs, are you? 12-4 in the conference, of course you're in. Looks like LSU is too, but Miss. St. is on the bubble.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Anthony, you clearly did not read and comprehend my post. I have the game Tivo'd I did not miss anything.

Moving on, I am sure you guys saw Chris Paul's dirty punch. This stuff goes on all the time and is part of the "psychological warfare." Shouldn't there be an extra ref or crew who reviews tape w/ the sole purpose of trying to correct any wrong calls or egregious misses?
Should Chris Paul get suspended?
Is this just another ESPN spin of everyday college basketball activity?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, Chris Paul was Suspended for 1 game by Wake Forrest for his low blow.

I kind of laughted at a quote from Paul in the story: I know what he meant but it sounds to me kind of like he was saying I respect him enough not to hit him on senior night but had it been an ordinary night...

Again, I know what he meant but he could've phrased it a bit better.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Adil, I read your post, I'm curious as to WHAT exactly was the problem?

Lets see, I think it was an equal game. There were times when Sean May got HAMMERED and no call...Even the announcers were playing it back saying "yea, they just butchered Sean May". Sheldon Williams blocked Marvin Williams three times, CLEAN BLOCKS, NO CALLS...So what's the problem? UNC got the steal and time out, Felton was clearly fouled, Marvin was clearly fouled.

Stop being sour man.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Anthony, PM sent.

I think the one game suspension was weak, but expected from a respectable program like Wake.
Hodge claims the ref saw it. Paul says they were ridiculing his recently deceased grandfather. It seems every university has a significant number of classless fans. I have it Tivo'd somewhere I believe and will check.
It would be cosmic justice for NC State to take them out in the quarterfinals.
Chris Paul was a dirty player from day 1, but I get a kick out of watching him until he plays my team.

Just so I don't sound so ACC biased and I am, that Simien kid on Kansas is the real deal. I usually write Kansas off every year as fat off cupcakes, but this kid is the mature stabilizing force they need.
Who knows, maybe Illini's loss is good for them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Have the wheels fallen off Boston College? They lose to West Virginia in the Big East tourney today, and have not looked all that good in past couple of weeks.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Ohio State needs to stop giving me hell. For the second game in a row, they fall behind by double digits and then slowly but surely, crawl back and win the game. More heart stopping antics against Wisconsin, I'm sure. :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

It would certainly see that way of course BC had its doubters all season anyway kind of makes you wonder if they weren't correct to doubt. I don't see them going far in the big dance.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Hrmm, I think BC will turn it up in the tournament, remember, these conference tourneys are a joke to a lot of teams. I know here in Arizona, Lute Olsen is always just annoyed at the prospect of the tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks