What's new

NBC To Bring Back Heroes in Heroes Reborn (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not impressed. Not a re-born, not even a regurgitate, it was flat out boring. I loved the first series, even as it slowly faded away. I'll give this a few episodes, but it better improve or I'm jumping ship.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the episodes tonight and given the relatively negative reception, I wasn't expecting much but I kinda liked it. That being said, I think a whole lot of that depended greatly on HRG being in it because I didn't get know the new characters well enough to get invested in them (and since it's only been two episodes, I think that's perfectly alright).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The reveal that both Molly Walker and the nameless protector of Tommy are part of this grand plan was enough to keep me hooked for the remainder of the run. Hopefully the payoff for "Heroes Reborn" is more satisfying than the payoff for the otherwise great first season of the original show.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I guess what I'm missing is there aren't really any major stand-out characters.

No cheerleader, no Petrelli brothers or a Sylar. They really need to pump this one up or I don't see much of a future for it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
I guess what I'm missing is there aren't really any major stand-out characters.

No cheerleader, no Petrelli brothers or a Sylar. They really need to pump this one up or I don't see much of a future for it.

I can definitely see that criticism. A lot of the characters in the original series felt like superheroes at the start of their origin stories. The characters in "Reborn" feel more like mutants in a Sentinel-controlled future, scrappy little underdogs that don't generate much confidence that they'll go on to save the world.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought these first three episodes have been decent. Whatever is going on in Japan with the game world does seem odd though.

I really like that they've finally had someone with these abilities actually wearing an outfit and functioning as a superhero, even though he was killed. Seems there should be more of that, but then I suppose they always intended for Heroes to be "grounded" and had an aversion to embracing the costumed, powered, crime fighter.

I agree that it could use a bit more focus on a central powered hero, even though the stuff with Bennet has been good.

And I don't buy that Claire is truly dead.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
TravisR said:
Me neither but I simultaneously don't believe that Panettiere will be back even for a cameo.
I don't think so either. They should just recast.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed episode three. I was very skeptical of this reboot, but so far it's pulling me in. The mimicking of the decade old style I had felt, but didn't really identify until discussed here. I think it's a good thing. I enjoy the inventive styles of new shows, but there's a relaxing feel to a show that goes back to a more stable, less kinetic filming style.

The video game story: I enjoy the character and storytelling so far, but it doesn't make sense to me in this universe. Not yet. But it is entertaining enough to overlook the out-of-theme basis.

While it lacks the potent characters of the original -- and having not just one or two great leads, but pulling off six compelling and memorable characters with Sylar, Hiro, Claire, Peter and HRG was quite something -- as an introduction to a larger story it is interesting.

My primary concern is the number of competing groups and agendas. It's hard to keep track of the factions, and if not clarified it risks confusing and putting me off.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My primary concern is the number of competing groups and agendas. It's hard to keep track of the factions, and if not clarified it risks confusing and putting me off.

So far the series has felt very incoherent to me. I'm close to dropping it after episode three.

- Walter.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Adam Lenhardt said:
The reveal that both Molly Walker and the nameless protector of Tommy are part of this grand plan was enough to keep me hooked for the remainder of the run. Hopefully the payoff for "Heroes Reborn" is more satisfying than the payoff for the otherwise great first season of the original show.

I keep thinking that the nameless protector guy is the puppetmaster guy from the original series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Cooper said:
I keep thinking that the nameless protector guy is the puppetmaster guy from the original series.

Me too! To the point where I actually looked it up and confirmed that Pruitt Taylor Vince didn't play that character.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Previous episode: the Prime clone guy, was he human? I thought when his arm was cut off, he looked mechanical. My wife says he's an evo and just looks different inside as part of his power. Now I'm confused.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
DaveF said:
Previous episode: the Prime clone guy, was he human? I thought when his arm was cut off, he looked mechanical. My wife says he's an evo and just looks different inside as part of his power. Now I'm confused.
Yeah, I have not yet figured him out, either. And then, when they die, they "revert" to ...salt???? Where do they get the salt from in the first place?

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I'm on ep. 3. Has an x-men vibe.

Starfish is my nickname for the clone guy, I also like the Japenese storyline so far.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Dheiner said:
Yeah, I have not yet figured him out, either. And then, when they die, they "revert" to ...salt???? Where do they get the salt from in the first place?

They become the same ashy stuff Peter Parker's clones turned into when they died in the ill-fated clone saga arc.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Adam Lenhardt said:
They become the same ashy stuff Peter Parker's clones turned into when they died in the ill-fated clone saga arc.
Never saw/read it. (Always kind of hated Spiderman. Whiney punk should get a job, and get Aunt May out of that shithole once and for all. ;) )

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Definitely lots of fun Back to the Future, Part II style hijinks with Noah and Hiro crossing their 2014 timelines. I like that at this point in the story Hiro has gotten really good at his powers.

The reveal with the origins of Tommy/Nathan and Malina was very Star Wars-y.

My two complaints were:

1) The handling of Claire's body. We know the sheet stayed over her face in the morgue because they didn't have access to Hayden Panettiere. But they needed to better sell that Noah confirmed that it was indeed Claire that was under that sheet.

2) Given that Tommy is going by Nathan in that one end scene, it appears that Noah and Hiro's intervention has already substantially rewritten the timeline. And if that's the case, then it kind of feels like large chunks of the previous six episodes were a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.