1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

NBC To Bring Back Heroes in Heroes Reborn

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Feb 22, 2014.

1. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    Next year.

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    This might be the right motif for Heroes. They simply ran out of things to do with them in a full length season, but in a miniseries, that might be perfect.

3. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Well-Known Member

Josh Dial
    My problem wasn't that the heroes ran out of things to do, but rather the show never allowed them to go where they so clearly needed to go: a super team stopping villains-of-the-week. Origin stories are very popular with audiences--but Heroes pushed the concept to the illogical extreme. The show should have used the first two seasons to introduce the characters, but then shift gears to mini-arcs and a longer running season arc. Fringe is the perfect model.

If you read the previous Heroes season threads, you'll see I was a huge fan of the show right to end. However, the show was still a huge missed opportunity to do then what SHIELD is (partly) trying to do now.

mattCR likes this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

I agree. I also kind of hope they keep the same concept and maybe the same universe but don't bring back any of the original characters as main characters. The first season was an excellent season of television, but the subsequent three seasons muddled things so much it'd probably be better to just start with a clean slate.

Jeffery_H likes this.
  5. joshEH

joshEH Well-Known Member

Josh
    Time to dig up those The Killers and Kelly Clarkson CDs -- we goin' back to 2005!

6. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I know audiences and hence networks love the familiar but are there really that many people that are clamoring to see Heroes return? I watched and more or less enjoyed the whole run of the show (even though there was really only one season that was particularly good) but this just seems like the type of thing that should continue as a comic book where they'd have no worries about budget or actor availability.

7. Stan

Stan Premium
    Supporter

I loved "Heroes", even as it went downhill. Own all the seasons on DVD. Looking forward to this.

8. Walter C

Walter C Well-Known Member

Walter
    I thought each season got less entertaining as the show went on, to a point where I could not finish watching the final season. Hard to believe that it is being brought back, but I guess that shows the desperation of NBC.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Wasn't this going to be an Xbox online exclusive? I thought MS gave NBC a wheelbarrow of cash so it was only viewable through the Xbox Gold service. Am I wrong? Or did the distro change?

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    They also failed to kill off characters. Sylar should have died. But they contorted the story to keep Quinto on screen, to the show's detriment. "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" was an exceptional season of TV. But it had nowhere to go after that. I hope for something great. The current crop of sci-fi is pretty bad. If a Heroes reboot can bring it, I'll watch. But I'm not optimistic.

11. dana martin

dana martin Well-Known Member

Dana Martin
    I got all on blu, what I am hoping for in 13 ep's is closure, an epilogue that matches that first season, if Kring &Co can do that, it will redeem the series as a whole.

12. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

I hated this show by the time it got to season 4 and it was totally due to the quality of the writing. Kringe was an appropiate name for the show producer because he did just that. It started out really good and I did enjoy the first season quite a bit. However, he had no clue or concept what to do with the characters, where to take the show or anyting else for that matter. Season 2 I thought was going to be a LOT different from how it was written and it only got worse from there.

As long as Kringe is nowhere close to anything involving a re-boot of the show, I would give it another chance. But they had better learn to listen to fans and those that attend shows like Comic-Con and such if they want to make it work. Take on more of a secret Justice League type of society and fight both real life threats like terrorism and evil people with super powers that do bad things. Put an edge on it too, such as there may be no way to contain certain bad people and good people with super powers may have to be their judge, jury and executioner.

13. Jeffery_H

Please for the love of god, NO WAY let Kring or his team anywhere near the show or be involved with any writing. That is why I hated it the first time and the guy has no clue at all.

14. dana martin

dana martin Well-Known Member

Dana Martin
    the thing is that is who NBC is dealing with, in the article that I read, so we will see how this turns out.

15. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Well-Known Member

Chip
    The only reason I kind of liked season 1 was because I thought it was leading somewhere. By itself, it's still disappointing.

It still blows my mind that the person who understands a show the least is the so-called "creator".

Jeffery_H likes this.
  16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
  17. Jeffery_H

Precisely, I couldn't agree more.

It's not just me that feels that way I know from the comments on Twitter and Facebook. Kring really has no clue what he is doing and is a horrid writer. It's not a bad concept, but it must be nearly re-done with some basic elements and a totally NEW writer and producer.

18. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    My thoughts: if NBC wanted to reboot a property it has stake in, NBC/Universal Studios has all the rights to Quantum Leap.. just reboot that. I'd appreciate it far more.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Well-Known Member

Malcolm
    Kring has an Executive Producer credit on Reborn. Not sure how involved he'll be in the writing/story or day-to-day operations.

20. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I shook the dust off my shoes halfway through the second season and never looked back. I'm willing to give this mini-series idea a chance, as long as they've learned from their mistakes.