What's new

NBC Gives up "We'll Never be #1" (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Blackout rules are set by the league, not by the team or cable provider. If you're upset about blackouts, it'd be good if people attended the game, otherwise the lack of a sellout or 10% below sellout triggers a blackout for many leagues

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by mattCR

Blackout rules are set by the league, not by the team or cable provider. If you're upset about blackouts, it'd be good if people attended the game, otherwise the lack of a sellout or 10% below sellout triggers a blackout for many leagues
I thought it was only the NFL if the game is not sold out.

But I was referring to Comcast blacking out the local Philly teams on other cable providers, even though the game was carried by ESPN or TNT, which also includes away games. Plus the teams are not blacked out if carried by one of the major networks (like NBC or FOX).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
But I was referring to Comcast blacking out the local Philly teams on other cable providers, even though the game was carried by ESPN or TNT, which also includes away games. Plus the teams are not blacked out if carried by one of the major networks (like NBC or FOX).
Tell that to people in Jacksonville. Even if their game is the national game, it has been blacked out for lack of attendance.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2009-08-21/story/jaguars_ready_for_string_of_blackouts

And yep, they black it out no matter what net it's on (ESPN, etc.). Per the NFL agreement to broadcast games.

The NBA has a similar agreement. But you're right, MLB does not.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Neither does the NHL. And I'm mainly talking about other sports, where it has gotten to a point where I could only follow their games on the radio, if I'm not attending the game myself. Especially with the Flyers, with the only games I can watch are those that air on NBC, now that Versus is no longer carried by DirecTV.

I get that with the NFL, where blackouts even apply to the major networks. I can remember having to follow Eagles games on the radio, because the game did not sell out, even though it was carried by CBS or FOX.

ETA: Blackouts dependent on attendance DOES NOT apply to road games. Besides, I was not talking about the NFL.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Walter C

Good, I hope he takes Comcast down with him. I can't stand them being able to black out the Phillies, Flyers and Sixers games that are on suppose to air on one of the basic cable networks (like ESPN or TNT).
This isn't just Comcast

Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell

Blackouts don't affect MLB, though.
Wrong.

I thought it was only the NFL if the game is not sold out.

Neither does the NHL. And I'm mainly talking about other sports, where it has gotten to a point where I could only follow their games on the radio, if I'm not attending the game myself. Especially with the Flyers, with the only games I can watch are those that air on NBC, now that Versus is no longer carried by DirecTV.

I get that with the NFL, where blackouts even apply to the major networks. I can remember having to follow Eagles games on the radio, because the game did not sell out, even though it was carried by CBS or FOX.

ETA: Blackouts dependent on attendance DOES NOT apply to road games. Besides, I was not talking about the NFL.
NHL, MLB and NBA games are only blacked out in the local market when the game is broadcast on a local network. The reason is consideration for the local channel and it's add revenue. Local broadcasters of the games don't want their own games to compete with itself in the local market.
The only one I have seen not blacked out all the time is some NBA games.
Walter, your problem is that CSN PHILLY is not available on satellite systems, that is a comcast issue.
This is due to some loophole which has been around for at least a decade that comcast has taken advantage of.
If they could Comcast would delete every CSN channel from satellite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks