What's new

NBA PLayoffs 2003 (1 Viewer)

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Did you see that NASTY dunk KG had tonight. Man that "one-handed-full-stretch-behind-the-backboard-alley-oop-dunk" was sick.

And I loved every miniute off the that game. The wolves played with sooo much intensity. They were everywhere on defense. I wonder if they can keep it up.

I liked the way the bucks came back strong as well. They really show me a lot of heart to get that win. Real hard fought and was fun to watch.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
And I'll be damned. The Lakers not only lose, they get the ever-living crap beat out of them. They'd better watch their back. They're the better team, but if they get complacent, the Wolves are desperate enough to get out of the first round that they could beat a Lakers team that's not giving 100%. Course I'm afriad LA will just use this as a wake-up call. Round 2 is going to be interesting, see how the new Spurs match up against the Lakers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Personally I have seen about 95% of Iverson's career games and without him taking the shots he does, the Sixers would have little chance of winning. This is a team filled with stiffs who couldn't throw a rock into the ocean many times. I am not saying he does not take some bad shots, but the alternatives are not much better.
You could replace "Iverson" with "Stackhouse" and "Sixers" with "Pistons" (last year), and I could say the same thing. However, no one would argue that Jerry Stackhouse is a great player. In fact, this year's Pistons are a better team without him.

I'm not comparing Iverson to Stackhouse talent-wise. Iverson is obviously at a completely different level.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Nice win by the Bucks, great to see my man GP atone for his terrible game 1. The Bucks are lucky those missed FT didn't cost them, that was a horror show.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yup, the Lakers got that "we just need to show up" look that they had in the regular season. And the Wolves shot the lights out of the arena. I can guarantee they won't do that for the entire series (what's left of it) just as we could guarantee the Lakers wouldn't put on the same show they did in Game 1. In the last couple of years the Lakers dropped some Game 2s after big Game 1 victories, so this isn't a surprise, more a reality check for them. They have to bring effort every night or this can happen to them.

Give credit where it's due, though: Flip Saunders came up with a great small lineup and took Wally off of Kobe so that he wouldn't be affected on the offensive end. And the Wolves are a lot like the Lakers in that when their #3-5 players start scoring double figures, they are very tough to beat.

This series has become very interesting.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Man, what a GREAT playoff tournament so far. Almost every series is competitive and intriguing. The Kings/Jazz is the only lopsided series in the bunch.

The Bucks and Payton proved that last weekend's game was a fluke. Look for a hotly contested series the rest of the way.

Minny had a great game plan and played it all 48 minutes. I doubt that Hudson can score 37 in the series again but hopefully someone else will catch fire. If Minny can play that way, on the road, for four quarters then they have a seriously good chance of winning the series. But I still doubt it. I still pick LA to win. I say this because Minny got a lot of favorable foul calls that they are not going to get in LA. If Minny wins game three then the NBA is going to send in Dick Bavetta to referee game four. :D

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
This thread is humorous since my posts two days ago.

Iverson WILL go to the Hall of Fame (barring some injury).
Iverson WILL have a resume as long as David Robinson when he's that old.

There is an obvious prejudice against Iverson. I see it all the time. All some people see is his bad-ass appearance and Sportscenter highlights. Its cool to bash Iverson.

Iverson is beloved in Philadelphia which is not an easy place to be loved. He has GRIT and DETERMINATION and a passion for winning. He lays it all on the line and will stop at nothing to win. He is a winner and a competitor - something Philly fans will worship any player for. His talent is incredible and if you've ever watched an entire game you would know that.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
The ONLY thing i can give Iverson credit for is scoring 40+ points in 5 consecutive games in his rookie year. Hes the only rookie to have ever done that. Now thats a feat!

But the doods in his what, 6th, 7th year? Judge David on his first 6 or 7 years and Iverson dont even come close, so that argument dont hold water.

OK, back to the playoffs :)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I agree Henry, The Admiral was too busy underachieving in the post season while AI was leading an average team to the Finals. Not to mention AI had several 40+ playoff games while The Admiral usually will be 5 points below his season average.;)

Now back to the playoffs:)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
There is an obvious prejudice against Iverson. I see it all the time. All some people see is his bad-ass appearance and Sportscenter highlights. Its cool to bash Iverson.

Iverson is beloved in Philadelphia which is not an easy place to be loved. He has GRIT and DETERMINATION and a passion for winning. He lays it all on the line and will stop at nothing to win. He is a winner and a competitor - something Philly fans will worship any player for. His talent is incredible and if you've ever watched an entire game you would know that.
I didn't want to re-enter this AI tangent, but the pro-Iverson fans need to stop throwing around the "prejudiced" accusation and spare us the "you've never seen AI for an entire game" nonsense. It undermines any real argument you may have.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I didn't want to re-enter this AI tangent, but the pro-Iverson fans need to stop throwing around the "prejudiced" accusation and spare us the "you've never seen AI for an entire game" nonsense. It undermines any real argument you may have.
Agreed. AI is a great talent, especially for his size. I also disagree that he is a liability on defense. After all he is always one of the leaders in steals. But it is still impossible to judge a players career before he has played it.

In my opinion, the Hall of Fame is about career achievement not talent. There have been lot of talented players over the years that for one reason or another just don't warrant Hall of Fame acceptance. Given that parameter it is impossible to say what AI's impact on the game will be. So the whole discussion is kinda pointless.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Well said Patrick. I don't agree with everything Iverson represents but when it comes to performing on the court there are very few that are his peer in the game now, or ever.

But the doods in his what, 6th, 7th year? Judge David on his first 6 or 7 years and Iverson dont even come close, so that argument dont hold water.
Have you actually looked at the statistics? :rolleyes:Of course Iverson did take his team to the finals without bowing out early year after year like Robinson. If it wasn't for the Spurs lucking out and getting Duncan, and a lockout shortened season, Robinson may be looked at as just another great player who never won the big one. Thats not to say he wasn't a very good center, just not up there with Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, or Hakeem. Anyway....

Back to the playoffs. I see the Spurs getting bumped out first round again this year. They barely survived Phoenix in game 2 on their homecourt and with Robinson most likely lost to injury for the rest of the series I think they are going to struggle mightily. Amare is the real deal as a rookie, and is going to be scary for years to come. If Phoenix takes Game 3 on their homecourt, look to the Spurs to fold up shop quickly.

J

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Justin, i think your the one who needs to look at the statistics.

Lemme just name a few ROOKIE stats for you since you dont know.

Iverson: --------------- Robinson:
6th in the scoring ----- 10th in scoring
11th Assists ----------- 2nd in rebounds
7th Steals ------------- 3rd in blocks

A bit different, but of course Davids a center.

(Iverson)FG% - .41/.46/.41/.42/.42/.39/.41 = .42%
FT% - .70
PPG - 23.5
(Robinson)FG%- .53/.55/.55/.50/.50/.53/.51 = .52%
FT% - .73
PPG - 24.3

I thought id list all of Iversons 7yrs :)

Iverson: --------------------------- Robinson:
Player Of The Month 2 times ------ POM-All 6 mos
Schick Rookie of the Year --------- IBM Award
Schick Rookie Game MVP --------- All-NBA Third Team
Double figures in 73 times, ------- Double-figures 81
30 or more points 20 times. ------ times with 20 or more
All-Rookie First Team ------------- points 62 times.
------------------------------------- All-Defensive second
------------------------------------- team
------------------------------------- All-Rookie First Team
------------------------------------- Only rookie in the
------------------------------------- 1990 All-Star Game

Thats not to say he wasn't a very good center, just not up there with Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, or Hakeem. Anyway....
Dave and Kareem are the only two players in NBA history to win each of the three titles:

*NBA Rebounding Title
*NBA Blocked Shots Title
*NBA Scoring Title

At least you can mention Daves and Kareems names in the same sentence :)

Ill stop :)

PS-Named one of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players of All-Time in his 7th year :)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
The problem with David Robinson is that at his size and athletic ability he should be able to dominate and carry a team in the post season but he can't, he actually does worse. David Robinson lacks that one-man brilliance. With all his accolaides David Robinson leaves too much to be desired to be in the class of Kareem, Shaq, and Hakeem.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Yeah i know, keep reaching for something thats wrong :)

Fact is, Iverson has not shown the greatness that David or other players have their first 7 yrs.

Maybe one day :)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Henry, you are comparing Iverson versus Robinson above based solely on the statistics of their Rookie Year. Compare their first 7 years including post season performance and then get back to me buddy. :rolleyes

Dave and Kareem are the only two players in NBA history to win each of the three titles:
From many of your comments, you have left me questioning your knowledge of NBA history, but this one takes the cake. You do realize that when Wilt was playing, they did not keep Blocks as stat. You are also trying to compare a shooting guard to a center. I will let the issue go at this point as your arguments are becoming quite laughable.

If the Spurs are bounced yet again in the first round (very likely with Robinson coming up lame again), we will once again see a true barometer of Robinson's playoff performance.

(Note: As I have said already, Robinson was a very good center, just not one of the top 5 of all time. Enough already).

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks