What's new

NBA PLayoffs 2003 (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Rather boring game 1. Spurs were excellent in transition defense to prevent NJ from building a 1st half lead.

However, that was probably the worst game NJ will play in the finals, so game 2 should be much tighter.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Spurs looked nice in game one and the Admiral even showed up. He looks like he is trying his hardest to shake his soft rep during his last chance of his playing career. That bodes well for the Spurs. The Nets' lack of consistent outside shooting may bury them in this series.

J

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
1-0 Spurs. Keeps up with my observation that if it's close at the half, San Antonio will win the game. They do tend to pull away in the 4th in closer games.

I'm just waiting till we reach 3 wins so I can start watching games again. Spurs are 1-5 when I watch, 12-1 when I don't. So of their 13 victories, I've seen 1, and of their 6 losses, I've seen 5. I took one for the team and stayed in the other room tongiht, but once we're at 3 wins I'm watching unless it's a game 7. I want to see David Robinson's last game, I've always really looked up to him as an outstanding person.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What a game by Duncan. Points, rebounds, block and assists. I just loved that two-handed, over the head, three-quarters of the court pass leading to two points. That just put another nail in the Nets’ coffin.

And what a game by Kidd: I’ve always liked him, but he is not a particularly good outside shooter. Did anyone else think that the Spurs were concentrating on just not letting him penetrate and make the play, but would sort of concede the 20-foot jumper?

I think that he will play better in game 2, but he has to put a few down. Otherwise, I take back my 5-game prediction and change it to a sweep.

Oops, I’m getting carried away by one game.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Not to worry Chris—I watched all the last series and they beat the Mavs easily. I plan on watching all the way—so it should be a lock for the Spurs. :D

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I'm normally not supersticious, but I want the Spurs to win somethign awful and send David out with another ring. Even more then I want to watch the games. And you know, statistically, if they're 13-6 in the playoffs and I've watched 6 games, they should be 4-2. So that 1-5 when I watch and 12-1 when I don't is significant. Although I may knuckle under and watch game 2, not sure yet if it's a gamble I'm willing to take. :)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
What a gawd awful long break. I have lost most of my enthusiam for the playoffs. Hopefully some of these games will have some drama or else I will just have to watch Sportscenter to find out who won.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Think about it, though. The Spurs had a great second half, Tim was hot, David played great, and Parker showed some O...and Kidd was shooting bricks all night and Martin fouled out, but the Spurs only won by 12.

This may be an interesting series b4 it's all over, and I hope it goes 6, so as Tim says, it can be a "treat" for Spurs fans to see them win it at home...and you bet your powered subwoofer I would be there for that. :D

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
The way Robinson looked yesterday makes me feel he can play for at least another three years. Why is he retiring, anyways? Maybe not an MVP caliber player anymore, but still one effective center when the game has few.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Because he doesn't want his salary on the Spurs ledger hurting their ability to go after free agents. Because he can still play well, but only rarely (he played well last night because he know this is his last playoff series of his career, so why hold back?
Because he only plays well when he has long lay-offs for therapy.
Because he just doesn't have it in him anymore with his back and knees to give it all for another two or three years.
Because he wants to retire a Spur, and this is the perfect time.
Because he wants the Spurs to be able to move on and get on with their game without worrying about offending him.
Because there are other things more important to him now then basketball, like the school for disadvanted kids he started with his own money.
Because that's the kind of person he is.

David Robinson was never the single best play in the league, nor the most dominant, but you'll never find a better person in the entire league, and there is nobody I respect more. When Shaq brags about who he's slept with, when everyone trash talks, when half the Trailblazers could be indicted at any given moment, to have a true gentleman in the league is something that I and I think a lot of others is going to miss next year. The Spurs will be better next year, but it's gonna be hard not seeing number 50 out there on the court.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Think about it, though. The Spurs had a great second half, Tim was hot, David played great, and Parker showed some O...and Kidd was shooting bricks all night and Martin fouled out, but the Spurs only won by 12.

This may be an interesting series b4 it's all over,
I hate being right. This series may go 6 after all, but these games are so darn boring, I don't think I would want to throw away a couple of hundred bucks to watch in person.

I almost want to see the Spurs lose game 3 so I can see if they have it in them to dig themselves out of the hole. Maybe bring some excitement into the series.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I thought Mutombo was washed up, but he was a defensive presence last night. I loved how he brought back the finger wag as well. It was like he was telling the Spurs and their fans, you are not going to win tonight. Nobody slams in the house of Mutombo :)

A series does not start until the home team loses, which the Spurs managed to do. San Antonio needs to respond in one of the next two games in NJ or they will be in major trouble.

J

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was disappointed in how those last 8 seconds played out.

The adage is: Go for the tie at home, go for the win on the road. They should have pushed the ball inside and go for tying up the game, rather than launch the 3-pointer with 4 seconds left. That's Tony Parker's inexperience on display.

Then again, if Duncan could make even 50% of his free throws, the Spurs would have been much better off. What is with Duncan's poor free throwing shooting? I thought only Shaq was a poor FT shooter, but Duncan is showing me a new low in FT shooting production.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
ABC showed that clip of Duncan in the pre-game warmups, and he still had no clue how to shoot free throws. What a horrible Achilles' Heel to have. You know the Nets are going to keep putting Duncan on the line in close games, and it's going to be up to Duncan to step it up, or be the fall guy for the Spurs if they lose the championship.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Do they spurs have their own style of play? They played the Mavericks style and scored over 100 points. Then they go to NJ, who can't muster up 100 points, and all a sudden start playing just like NJ.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
We already had hack-a-Bowen in the playoffs. If the Nets are smart, they will hack-a-Duncan all the way to a championship. Tim's confidence in his free throws has got to be majorly shaken at this point.

J

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I agree Justin, it doesn't matter how great a player Duncan is, he will be thinking about them on the line. It's just human nature.

The Nets match up well with the Spurs, maybe a little better than the Suns and the Suns gave the Spurs trouble.

Best all around and fundamentally sound Basketball player in the NBA (exept in free throw shooting)
That quote reminds me of Shaq's. "I have won everywhere I've been except for HS and college."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks