What's new

NBA 2008-09 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
A good game last night between the Bobcats and the Lakers. I really thought that L.A. would pull it out, but when Bryant fouled out, it was pretty much over.

Charlotte has won five of the last six times vs. the Lakers. They also own wins over the Celtics (and now the Lakers) in overtime this year. L.A. still has to play Charlotte again later in the year (in Charlotte), as does Boston (in Boston).

From the interesting stat department-- Only two current NBA franchises have winning records (overall) against the Lakers: Charlotte and Boston.

Brian Scalabrine (a name that Hubie Brown needs to hear so that he can pronounce it correctly ;)) suffered his second concussion in three days. He is expected to be out about a week. He went up for a rebound in practice and collided with Patrick O'Bryant. I'm thinking both wanted to show Doc Rivers that they should keep their current jobs. ;)

Boston Celtics' Brian Scalabrine out with another concussion - ESPN

There is a huge slate of games tonight in the NBA, but it's tomorrow night's game between the Cavs and Magic (in Orlando) that I'm really looking forward to watching. Thankfully, that one is being televised. I predict an Orlando win (they need it more than Cleveland). We'll see. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Here's a very interesting article on what one writer (Tim Legler, who is also a former NBA player and current shooting instructor) thinks makes a great natural shooter. The mechanics are fascinating to read about. He also gives some insight into how a work ethic can augment one's gifts, but asserts that great shooters are born, and that these abilities are not learned.

Daily Dime: Best shooters in the NBA - NBA - ESPN

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
By now, the Lakers can't call a game against the Bobcats a "trap" game anymore. The Bobcats and the Blazers have given the Lakers a great deal of problems. I still haven't forgotten the epic 3OT game they played two seasons ago, when Kobe went for 58, and Okafor 20-20. The Lakers never should have made it to OT during the game on Wednesday, but the Cats decided to miss every free throw down the stretch. It was a painful game: the invaluable Ariza suffered a concussion, Gerald Wallace hurt his back in the first half, and then got hit hard by Bynum, and suffers from a partially collapsed lung and fractured rib. Man.

Legler's piece mentions that he was told of the 170 club because of his performance. What he doesn't say is that he never was part of it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
He hints at it, but doesn't make explicit that a player's shooting percentages don't exist in a vacuum. The usage rate coupled with efficiency is ultimately what makes a player valuable offensively. See this Basketball Reference search. Both Kerr and Bird have made the club before, but now look at those two seasons where Mr. Bird shot so amazingly--he was playing 40 minute a game, and shot more than 20 attempts per game! That's just out of this world.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Kirk,

Didn't anyone ever tell you that basketball is a non-contact sport? ;)

Scalabrine will be out 7-10 days because of the two concussions he received within three days.

Thanks for the Basketball Reference site. I'm pleased that Nash (one of my all-time favorite players) and Nowitzki--someone else I really enjoy watching on the court--are on that chart. I really hold in very high regard players that can shoot 90% or better from the charity stripe. :emoji_thumbsup:

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Not to sound morbid because I like the guy, but considering how intensely Wallace plays I'm surprised something like this didn't happen sooner. There's a good reason why his nickname is Crash.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, Cleveland made the final score look respectable, although the game was not that close. The Magic's lead grew to twenty-five points midway through the fourth quarter--a quarter in which they began by outscoring the Cavaliers 22-2. Wow.

The quest for the best overall record is beginning to look very interesting at this point:

Boston (38-9)
Cleveland (35-9)
Los Angeles (35-9)
Orlando (35-10)

Also within striking distance are New Orleans and San Antonio, each with 14 losses at this point. That division is (and will be) very hotly contested.

This year could bring us three, and possibly four(!) teams with more than sixty wins. I don't think that four (how about three?) has ever happened before, but I haven't checked.

Boston is 0-1 against Los Angeles (with one game remaining with them); Cleveland is 0-1 against Los Angeles (with one game remaining with them); Orlando is 2-0 against Los Angeles (season series completed); Boston is 1-1 against Cleveland (with two games remaining with them); Orlando is 1-0 against Cleveland (with two games remaining with them); and Boston is 2-0 against Orlando (with two games remaining with them).

I think it is really important for the Cavaliers and the Celtics to hold serve against the Lakers when they visit next week.

And how is this for a nightmare schedule? I thought the Pacers had it bad earlier in the year, but it turns out that the Knickerbockers have the Celtics, Lakers, and Cavaliers in succession (M-W-F) around the corner. Yikes.

Any team not finishing in the East as the top seed will most likely have to play two of the other 'big three' teams--not something to look forward to, for sure. Something else that is interesting is that many of these matchups occur in the next few weeks (Orlando-Cleveland; Boston-L.A.; Cleveland-L.A., etc.).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lakers fans--

Sorry to hear the news about Bynum. But he's quite optimistic that he'll be ready around the 8-12 week point (preferably sooner), and was pleased that it wasn't more serious than this. Here's hoping he has a successful recovery. :emoji_thumbsup:

Speaking of L.A., they're playing really well against the Knicks. I wish I could watch that fourth quarter. Bryant is on fire--46 points through three quarters.

The Magic have lost at home (by 10 points) to the Mavericks. Hmmm.

Addendum: Kobe Bryant breaks the Madison Square Garden single-player record with 61 points! Wow. Congratulations to he and the Lakers (and Laker fans) on a fine win. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I feel bad for Knicks fans. Getting the Lakers, Cavs, and Celtics in one week is bad enough, but facing two transcendent talents putting up historic performances against them must be tough to swallow.

Without Bynum, this Laker team should eventually be better than last year's squad with the team playing together longer, and young guys improving. But, they are still in a learning mode without Bynum, and their defense is pretty shaky right now; they've needed monster games from Kobe and Gasol to pull out these two wins. Tomorrow's Boston game is a back-to-back, and the Cavs have a winning percentage of, um, 100% at home. Realisticaly, getting one win would be a victory.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, congratulations to all Lakers fans! That was some game, especially the second half and overtime. I loved seeing how jubilant the Lakers were at winning in Boston. It certainly meant something to them to get this win. :emoji_thumbsup:

It was somewhat of an odd game for me to gauge during the first half. Both teams were shooting poorly, and there really wasn't a 'rhythm' I could pigeonhole. I thought each team had the momentum at different times. And then there were times when neither team could throw the ball in the ocean.

Man, that must have been the longest ten minutes of Garnett's basketball life, after having fouled out.... At this point in the season, I give the edge to the Lakers (as the best team in the NBA). They are having an incredible road trip (5-0 thus far). I really did not think they would have this great of a trip. I'm almost thinking that they will defeat Cleveland on Sunday now.

BTW, I retract what I said earlier about LeBron being heads above Kobe. Tonight, Kobe was unconscious for a few minutes in the fourth quarter. I was sitting there, admiring what a great talent he is, and realizing that I may have been a bit hasty when I wrote that the other day.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yeah, I don't think it was very consistent, but Boston has inconsistent officiating go their way at times, so I'm not complaining. But one thing I do like about the result is that this may make Boston hungrier. Last year, the Celtics swept the Lakers during the regular season, and they (L.A.) still came on like gangbusters in the playoffs. I still believe that the Celtics need to make one trade before the playoffs.

I have this sneaky suspicion that the Lakers are going to defeat Cleveland at the Q this Sunday. If this occurs, then the Lakers would be 4-0 against Cleveland and Boston. One thing about the Cavaliers (and this dates back many years) is that they are a very physical team, perhaps even more so than Boston at some positions. This could play in their favor against the Lakers. I think Cleveland needs to win their game against the Lakers more than Boston needed to defeat L.A. last night. It should be a good one.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
After watching the Lakers this afternoon (and the Celtics a tad earlier), I am firmly convinced that Los Angeles will win the 2009 NBA championship. They look dominating in so many ways, and are doing things this year that they sorely lacked last year.

I don't know this for sure (and this is key, in my estimation), but I believe that the Lakers -- with only nine losses -- will earn the overall. If they do, it's all over for the rest of the league. I'm beginning to think that the games against Orlando were somewhat of an anomaly.

Last year, when the Celtics earned the overall, I knew that Boston (if the Celtics and L.A. made the finals) would have those first two games at home. I was also convinced that if Boston won those two, that the series was over. And it turned out to be right. This year, I think the same thing may very well happen, with Los Angeles in the driver's seat.

Ockeghem's Power rankings:

1. Los Angeles Lakers (9)
3. Cleveland Cavaliers (10) / Boston Celtics (11) (tie)
4. Orlando Magic (12)
5. San Antonio Spurs (15)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The Celtics' four keys to victory are:

1. 2009 Leon Powe must turn into 2008 Leon Powe (which he has shown hints of lately).

2. Tony Allen must stay healthy and practice layups.

3. Someone must convince the Knicks to let Marbury out of his contract. Barring that, Doc should try to give Gabe Pruitt as much playing time as possible to develop him as far as he can before the playoffs start.

4. A Don Beebe helmet for Scalabrine!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was hoping that they might make a deal with the Suns. Shaq could go to the Lakers, and Stoudemire could come to Boston. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
LOL. And we could throw in a Rambis clothesline, autographed by Kevin McHale.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Looks like McGrady might miss the rest of the season and possibly even need microfracture surgery. It's a real pisser but I guess it gives him a good excuse for why he's been sucking it up so much this season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think the Rockets will still get out of the first, and probably the second, round of the playoffs. Do you think they are good enough to defeat the Spurs?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I doubt it. They have the talent to do so but their chemistry is shot and it seems to have cost them their defensive identity. I gather that the vibe right now is that the team isn't happy with Artest's play and they're going to let him walk after the season unless someone bites on a trade really fast.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Funny you should mention Artest. Last year, Gasol didn't step up (and I would say that Odom did not as well). I don't know the Rockets as well as you do, but I thought Artest would (could?) be the key to the team going deeper into the playoffs. I wonder what Yao makes of all of this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks