1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Directors Name That Movie - A Contest (#4)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rob Tomlin, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Well-Known Member

That's right. Another Name That Movie Contest! Believe it or not, this will be the first Contest/Tournament that I have run, so be nice! [​IMG]

By running this Contest, it is not my intention to make the guesses particularly difficult (nor particularly easy), but to show images that are at least somewhat "interesting" (however you may define that term). Some images may only be interesting in the context of the movie itself, so if you haven't seen the movie, it might not be so interesting!

I think I would like to keep score this time. I am open to suggestions regarding scoring. I was thinking that anyone who guesses correctly will receive 5 points. Images that I consider to be difficult will be worth 8 points, and I will indicate such when that image is displayed.

I will declare a winner of each "Bracket". A "Bracket" will consist of SIX movies, which will basically be one weeks worth of images, since I plan to post images every evening except Saturday. As such, winners of each Bracket will usually be announced sometime on Sunday. Whoever wins the most "Brackets" at the end of the contest will be the overall winner. Thus, it will be possible for the overall winner to score fewer points overall than someone else.

Images will be posted at approximately 4:30 to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time. A list of people who guessed correctly will also be posted at that time.

Again, I am open to comments and suggestions regarding the awarding of points. In fact, if anyone wants to suggest some other basis to award some type of "bonus" points, please let me know. (I was thinking of awarding 2 points for people who guess how many people would guess each round correctly, or something like that).

I will post the first image after receiving some feedback on my points system! [​IMG]

2. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Personally I don't care about the points.

Bring on the first screenshot! You can worry about scoring later. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Rob Tomlin

4. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Well-Known Member

I don't care too much about the points, but one thing I've seen in the other screenshot contests is that there are many people who miss a day or two and lose points because they couldn't participate in that round.

If it would be at all possible for people to wait that long for the answer, I'd suggest posting a week's worth of shots all at once and giving everyone a week to respond. This also gives everyone a week to research their DVD collection as well, so it's a license to make the screenshots very, very difficult. And you aren't stuck here every single day tallying the results.

One problem with this is that it makes cheating and collusion more likely - but we're not that kind of people here at the HTF.

Just a suggestion...

Brad

5. Rob Tomlin

Round One

[​IMG]

Click on the image above to make your guess for the current round.

Guesses will be accepted by Email and should be in the subject field of the message in the following format:

Round 1 - Lawrence of Arabia

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Well-Known Member

How about posting the (one) most amusing guess for each round as well? That would give those of us who suck at (but enjoy) these games an opportunity to contribute something other than "dunno".

(edit: by the way...my answer for round one? Dunno.[​IMG])

Jon

7. Rob Tomlin

I like your idea Jon! I like it a lot.

In fact, I will give 3 points to whoever makes the most amusing guess!

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Well-Known Member

John
    Scoring sounds fun. That's why I did it that way. I wouldn't be too concerned with addressing every single person's needs. I think posting a whole week of images all at once would make for a fairly boring contest.

Just go with it as you planned.

9. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Well-Known Member

I could care less about points... I just hope for some movies I've seen [​IMG] (And I don't think the 1st round is one of em.. [​IMG])

10. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Way too easy.

What else ya got?

[​IMG]

11. Bill McA

Bill McA Well-Known Member

Well, I can tell which country this is, and the approximate time period...but I don't recognize the shot! [​IMG]

So my intuitive guess is going to be...

12. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Well-Known Member

Brian
    Was this film shot in Black & Green [​IMG]

13. Rob Tomlin

14. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

15. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Well-Known Member

16. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Well-Known Member

Tron?

17. Rob Tomlin

18. Rob Tomlin

Since the first image was posted on Thursday evening, the first "Bracket" will consist of 8 movies instead of the usual 6.

19. Rob Tomlin

The Answer To Round One is Carol Reeds real Best Movie.......

[​IMG]

Correct Answers Came From:

Rain
    Bill McA

The Most Amusing Answer came from the person who gave the idea for the bonus answer in the first place, Jon Are:

Three Bladders Full

For those of you who guessed The Third Man (and there were twice as many of you compared to those who answered correctly) it was a good guess considering that Odd Man Out had the same Director and DP as The Third Man.

20. Rob Tomlin

Round Two

[​IMG]

Click on the image above to make your guess for the current round.

Guesses will be accepted by Email only and should be in the subject field of the message in the following format:

Round 1 - Lawrence of Arabia