What's new

name 5 movies that changed your life ... (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
It was because of Saving Private Ryan that my interest in World War 2 skyrocketted. Now I have a much better knowledge, understanding, and profound respect for that era and the people in it.

Casablanca to a certain extent as well. When I first saw it, when I was young, I thought it was the most boring movie ever. That was when my film appreciation didn't go beyond new, faster paced movies. When I saw it again years later, I absolutely loved it. That let me know my horizons had been greatly broadened.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
As someone in my 20s, I'm finding it difficult to definitively nail down five titles. The first couple are easy, though:

Jurassic Park - Saw this opening day, one of the first days of summer, newly a teenager. This was the big one...the one that proved to my young mind (and to the whole generation of filmmakers we currently live with) that ANYTHING was now possible in in the world of film. Even as a kid, I was subconsciously aware of the artifice involved in bringing these flights of imagination to life. Not in this one, though...those dinosaurs where THERE.

Vertigo - My family moved a great distance and I had to switch high schools between my sophomore and junior years. As I was feeling very isolated and confused in my new surroundings, I buried myself in classic films. The restored release of this was my greatest discovery. The normally-calculating Hitchcock shows his empathetic side here, and the story touched me to a degree no other had up to that point. If 'Jurassic Park' had pointed the way toward the future of movies, this one opened up the past. If the dinosaurs demonstrated the peak of fantasy, 'Vertigo' showed me that stories about people could be just as impressive.

That's all I've got at the moment. There have certainly been others ('Schindler's List,' 'Fellowship of the Ring'...hell, even 'The Blues Brothers'), but none quite on that same level.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Even though it's disqualified, I'll mention Star Wars because without it I would never have met one of my best friends in elementary school. But besides that:

A Nightmare on Elm Street: As I've mentioned in other threads, I saw this when I was pretty young (and I didn't turn out to be completely psychotic). I'd say that without seeing this one, I would never have gotten into horror movies like I am now. There's something very nostalgic about all those 80's/early 90's slasher films for me that probably wouldn't be there otherwise.

Jaws: saw this one at a young age too, and I credit it in improving my drawing. I would draw sharks for hours on end because of this movie.

Batman: This was the first movie I ever saw in theaters, and, like so many kids at that time, introduced me to comics. As a film, it's not as strong to me now, but it will always be special.

Frankenstein/The Wizard of Oz: proved to me at an early that old movies were good.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Excellent thread. I had to think awhile about this.

To Kill a Mockingbird - I was studying this novel in
school and two weeks into this novel it was shown on tv. I was deeply affected by this movie and the subject matter. This was the first movie I began to realize the power of a particular scene. The closing scene with Scout walking Boo Radley home, the voice- over and then Scout being enfolded in her father's arm, well I tear up just thinking about it. That one scene made me conscious of the power of movies, a well written script and music to match.

2001 A Space Odyssey- I saw this in 1971 in my freshman year at university. I stayed in a large co-ed residence and once a week they had a movie night. There was a small screen and they would bring in films usually Sci-fi. I loved sci-fi but I grew up with the sci-fi of the 1950's. I was a teenager when this movie had made the rounds in the theatre and at that time I had no interest in seeing it. This movie had such a profound effect on me on that night in 1971, right from the pre-dawn opening shot to the star-child at the very end. I was fascinated with every frame of that movie and my love for sci-fi became an obsession. That night also peaked my interest in classical music and soundtracts and I've been a collector ever since.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - this movie started my lovefest with all things Spielberg. I had seen Jaws previously but at that time I don't remember really caring who the director was. Close Encounters changed that.
I know there are better movies than this one, but when asked what is my favourite movie of all time, this is the one I name.

Planet of the Apes - I saw this the week after 2001. Well all I can say is, that closing scene blew me away.

Road Warrior - now this might be a strange choice but it had been recommended to me by two New Zealand girls that owned a video store near where I lived. This was the early 80's and my first exposure to Australian films and to Mel Gibson. Needless to say, I've followed his career ever since. This movie at that time was a visual feast. I remember my friends found it strange that I would enjoy something like this being female, since it seemed geared more towards males. But hey, for me Mel Gibson was the attraction and whatever means brings a person to enjoy good films is okay by me.

I could go on, but I guess that's my five.

Josh.C

Second Unit
I've enjoyed reading all of your comments, hence my second appearance to this thread. I think we can all agree, that for the most part, certain movies have had a very strong effect on us. Maybe not "Life Changing", but changing the way we feel or think about a particular subject or story, or strengthening our appreciation for this art form we know as Film-making.

The first 5 I posted had very deep meaning to me, these 5 do as well, but probably more for pure enjoyment and entertainment.

Tombstone- I've always liked Westerns, but can admit that the quality and story plots were pretty weak for the most part. Tombstone had all of the great things a Western should have and much much more. It really revived my love of Westerns, not to mention my appreciation for Val Kilmer. He gets plenty of negative pub., but was absolutely phenomenal in the role of Doc. Holiday.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- Many of you are probably thinking, "thats like the worst movie of the HP Series". I'm not even saying its in my top 3 HP flicks. This one holds special meaning for me, because my wife and I had such a good experience with these stories. We had heard much about the acclaimed books, and never gave reading them much thought. One day on a very long trip from Arkansas to Texas, we rented "Sorcerors Stone" on audio tape at a local Cracker Barrel. The story was so gripping that we didn't even get out of the car when we arrived in Texas. This movie was the first time I saw this incredible world brought to life. Great experience in the theaters, surrounded by young kids who were in awe of the production. Also one of the few movie's that having that many young children actually added to the ambiance of the moment.

Rounders- Ignited my curiosity for the game of Poker, namely Texas Hold 'em. I now play whenever I get the chance and has become a great "guys night out" when my wife lets me off the leash. John Malcovich as Teddy KGB, Awesome!

LOTR'S Trilogy- You will find plenty of debate here on the HTF, on which one of these is the best. In my mind it stands as one PERFECT creation. I haven't been sucked into a story like that since Star Wars. And when I say perfect, I'm not saying there were no flaws. Instead, the imperfections don't detract from the overall experience, making it a Perfect production in my mind. I loved the original Star Wars trilogy (Episodes 4,5,&6), it would be hard to touch them for nostalgic reasons alone, but this trilogy is every bit as gripping, and maybe more. This one has a spot on this list based solely on the way it captures my imagination, and takes me away from reality every time I watch it.

E.T.- Growing up, I didn't get to go to a lot of movie's. Today, not going to see a movie at least once a month is a sin worthy of punishment, but in those days it was a huge privilege for me. My mom took me to see E.T. at a local matinee. I will never forget the way it made me feel as a young kid with a budding imagination, and even though I own it today, I can't ever have that experience again. It was probably "the movie" that started the obsession for movie watching I have today. How fitting that it was my favorite director "Steven Spielberg" who was the man behind the masterpiece that led me to where I am now.

Once again, great thread! I've really enjoyed sharing these memories with you all. Keep them coming.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't say it changed my life, but Star Wars had a rather profound influence on my imagination. I'd rank it up there with the gremlin that bugged the hell out of Bugs Bunny.

James@R

Second Unit

E.T. was actually the first film I got to see in a theater, so I guess I'd have to include it as well. Back then, most theaters would keep a curtain over the screen until showtime. I still remember walking in, seeing the curtain, and asking, "Is it a play?" :D

To this day, going to the movies is (secretly) still a big deal for me. It doesn't even have to be something I'm interested in seeing. Just offer me the chance to eat popcorn in the dark, and I'm sold.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
1 - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I saw this when I was six years old and I was TRAUMATIZED! The movie simply terrorized me to the point it took me a few days to recover from it! I remember that night of terror at the drive-in vividly!

2 - Rear Window. Saw this during the Hitchcock revival back in the late eighties. I never knew a movie could be so engrossing!

3 - The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. Definite proof the sixties and seventies were the Golden Age of gritty movies. They make me wish there were more of them made today instead of the utter crap we keep seeing time and time again, most of them remakes of movies and TV shows.

4 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Saw this at The Imperial Theater in Montreal after they've converted to THX. Too bad most popcorn movies went downhill from there.

5 - Deep Throat. Saw this when I was fifteen year old. I won't reveal the source of the VHS tape. ;)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

But seriously I'd have to agree with Tino. I can't think of any movie that "changed my life". I could tell you my top 5 favorite movies, but they weren't life-changing.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have learned great lessons from these films in my life and they have changed my life:

The Wizard of Oz- I possess all that I need in life

Gone With The Wind- The fire within oneself can help you overcome poverty and defeat.

It's A Wonderful Life- Everyone's life has meaning.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs- There is magic in the world and dreams do come true.

TV MOVIE:

Roots- We are all connected to our past.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
OK, here goes:

ET - I hated it. But that's not why it "changed my life". My brother is physically disabled. This was the first film he ever watched in a theater - and the only film he watched in a theater for years because of difficulty at the time going to the theaters. We both left and agreed "it wasn't nearly as good as people made it out to be" and laughed about it for days. He has been my closest friend ever since.

Higher Learning - not even suggesting the film was great, but it was the right time for me. Watched with a large group of friends. A week or so later, I was involved in an incident that nearly killed me; hospitalized and comatose, the song "Butterfly" from the movie, as well as other things helped me through a very difficult time. The film itself is not that great, though decent.

Life is Beautiful My wife & I announced our engagement to her family as somewhat a suprise in the morning. They had never met me before, and I had to fly across country to meet them. That night, I & my wife & her family went to "Life is Beautiful". The fact that we had a good time and such a quick ability to talk about it and get along really helped make things easy for us :)

Beauty & The Beast Loved the movie, but in more particular, I remember what happened immediately afterward. No further discussion.

Shawshank Redemption - this is the only one I don't have a specific memory linked to. But it's one of those films that I share with a lot of people as a "wow, that was a moment" kind of film.

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
Any movie that may have "changed my life", has more to do with changing my perception of films. here are 5 that changed things for me.

Schindler's List: This just brought the reality of the holocaust right in your face. It didn't pull any punches and is really difficult to watch. I think movies like this are important because just like Saving Private Ryan, it is too easy to forget the horrors of war and we sometimes need a reminder. It also shows what one man can do.

Akira: This was the first anime movie I had seen. It opened the door to a whole type of movie I didn't really know existed. The idea that animation meant "cartoons" was immediately thrown out the window. The story was more complicated than most Hollywood Sci-Fi movies, and the animation allowed them to show things you could not do with live action, well at least at the time I saw it, before CGI advances.

Cure: This was one of the first Japanese "horror" movies I had seen, at least when I was really able to appreciate the style and feel. The slow pace and unaswered questions made it even creepier than most other horror movies. This led to Ringu, Kairo, Dark Water and a lot of other Japanese and Asian horror movies.

The Killer: I first saw this late night on Cinemax or HBO. This was the first John Woo movie I had ever seen and it made me re-think how action movies are supposed to be made.

That's all I have time for, since my lunch hour is over my employer wants me to actually do some work!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
One only and that was Star Wars in 1977 which is what got me hooked on movies and later on h.t.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Me too Neil. I started to not be able to post in this great thread since the thread starter told us no Star Wars films. I certainly understand the logic behind it but I also can't fathom a discussion about changing life movies without Star Wars. :b

Impact on my life is probably how I can choose the films...

1. Star Wars
2. Titanic
3. Lord Of The Rings
4. Comedies like Vacation, Fletch, and Three Amigos certainly were who I was in the '80s with my college buddies. Those comedies were used in our normal dialogue nearly wherever we hung out. Kind of juvenile looking back but gosh that was a fun decade. :D

matrix - seriously it opened my mind.

american beauty - i was expecting something completely different.

dr. strangelove - it took a while, but i finally 'got it'.

scarface - it taught me that to be the boss you have the have confidence and balls.

fight club - the twist at the end changed my perspective on a few things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks