What's new

NAD T752 - anybody have one? (1 Viewer)

Dan_Whip

Agent
I'm looking at getting a new receiver, and have been seriously considering the NAD T752. I just want to know if anyone has one of these, and if it's worth it or if I should just get a Denon 2802. Any thoughts?

DonJ

Second Unit
I sat down and listen to the NAD and I was very impressed, It would be the only other receiver I would get besides the HK.

Bob Goodrich

Agent
I'm also looking at the NAD T752 along with the Marantz 7300 and the Yammy 1300. Beware that NAD has had some quality/infant mortality problems with the beginning of this model run. An extended warranty from an AUTHORIZED NAD dealer might be worth while. Please keep us informed as to your experiences if you should get the T752. Good luck.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
ordered the 752 after comparing the 761 to an Onkyo 600 and HK 520.
to me, there was just no contest as far as sound quality.
the 761 was noticeably superior to both, with both sets of speakers i was demoing at the time.
so far, the 752 seems to provide the same sonic qualities, with the additional surround sound features (dpl II, etc).

i must have gotten one of the early production units, since i do hear the fan noise occasionaly ( the fan usually kicks on once every 2 hours and runs for about 1 minute, before going back dead silent).

i would love to reccommend the thing, but i have to confess i am concerned about all the quality control issues i've read about NADs lately (primarilay with the 761 and 751).

even knowing about those, though, i had a hard time deciding on which reciever to finally get, since, like i said, the NAD was significantly superior in overall sound to everything i had heard. this was confirmed by both the dealers i had spoken to, as well as the manufactuer of the speakers.
in one case, they told me-' if you want bells and whistles, go with a denon, if you want the best sound go with a Nad or Rotel.'
w/ all the Rotels i've seen being beyond my budget, it was pretty much the Nad (with a little worry as to its integrity down the road), or something else that would probably give me better piece of mind, but then i would always know that i wasn't getting as good a sound as i knew was out there, for about the same amount of $.

thats my $.02 on the NAD.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
wasn't the 752 recalled right after it was sent out? thats what a dealer (not a particularly well informed one though) said to me. I would believe him on this, as he had one, right when it came out, and then the next week, he didn't, and he said NAD made him send all his back because of a recall.

the 751/761 had issues.

however, NAD's sound quality is hard to ignore.

Rich

GenoM

Grip
I owned both the T761 and later, the T752. I gave up on them as they both had problems with their sound processor chips. When turning on the unit, sound from only one speaker was audible. Returned the T761 twice and finally exchanged the T752 for a Marantz SR7300.

More important, both the two NAD models exhibited flawed response from the center channel. At first I thought there was something wrong with my center speaker's x-over filter. Spoken dialog sounded flat and dull. Not sonically comparable to the (same make) front speakers. I can't imagine serious audio enthusiasts not hearing this. I actually read a rave review of the T752 where the reviewer mentioned that he didn't use a center speaker in his setup. (Could that be a coincidence?)

Anyhow, my search is still not over as the Marantz starts to show the same trouble with the sound processing chip. When I switch the unit on, only the right channel has sound. After I turn the selector dial a couple of times and back to its original position, the sound is normal again. It does this every time.

Furthermore, the Marantz has the worst optical input connector's I've seen. They have a tiny hinged plastic door protecting the input connector against dust. That plastic door broke off leaving the optical input unusable. (The plastic door acts as a retention mechanism as well as a dust guard.) Connections on the back of this €1200 Marantz aren't even gold plated.

I'm returning the Marantz and think I'm going to go for the Rotel RSX1055.
I really liked the NAD's good looks and build quality but I was put off by the flawed sound from the center channel and dodgy electronics. Same dodgy electronics for Marantz, together with its below average quality connections.

....And I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For....

DonJ

Second Unit
I reviewed the NAD with 2 channel music which I review speakers and components but I didn't know that they had so many electrical problems. I read lots of reviews giving the perfect reviews in music and decent reviews for multi-channel movies decided on the HK because of the price(got mine for 485.00 last March).

Paul W M

Auditioning
Hi,

I got my NAD T 752 one month ago. It is a unit of revision 2. I didn't got fan problem. The sound is very good. I took many days to look for other brands and it was this amplifier with 5 Paradigm speakers that I preferred. The sound is rich and contrary to other brands, the high frequencies are not boosted. The sound looks to be realistic!

However, I found some bugs. But, I don't think that they are important enough to get rid of this product.

I connected my CD player and DVD player into the optical inputs. When I listen to a CD, and I let it run by itself, I always miss the firsts notes of the songs. But, if I select a song while another song is playing, it is OK. It seems that it is a common problem with others brands.

I can program macros to send many commands. It works with many different devices but I am not able to open or shut my TV. I must press the buttons myself on the remote to open the TV.

Bye

GenoM

Grip
Had the same fan problems om my 751 as Paul_Scott. The fan would kick in, sonically overpowering my vacuum cleaner (at a low power setting I confess;) ) but the fan wouldn't shut off after hours of idling. I had to switch off the unit and turn it back on to silence it.
At the end of the day NAD has lost a customer in me. Not because I don't believe NAD can't build quality, but because I believe that after two tries on two different models one should get the major bugs out of the way. The flawed sound from the center channel on both models didn't help much either...
In defense to NAD and Marantz I'll say that it seems that AV receiver technology with regards to the sound processing chips and/or software hasn't ripened yet.
Apart from an actual defective unit, I've never experienced these kind of problems on any piece of HiFi equipment I've bought through the years. Oh well, I'll be patient, promise....:)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to every major receiver $1500 and under and was all set to buy either the T752 or the T762 when it came out. I liked all the AVRs I heard. All quite fine, but Nad stood out a little more in terms of sound. As they love to say, warm and musical. However, right before I bought it, I did a head to head with the HK 525 -- and liked the HK better! And since it was $300 to $500 less, I went with HK.

To my ears, the HK was almost as warm and just as powerful. Yet whereas the Nad (like Marantz) rolled off high frequencies a bit sooner than other AVRs, the HK was clear and precise. I liked that.

Another thing that bothered me was the Nad fan. It didn't go on a lot when sitting on a top shelf of an open rack, but it was loud. Sounded like a computer turning on. By contrast, the HK 525 fan comes on less and is much quieter.

pat_hurley

Auditioning
On a related note, and without starting a new thread...

Has anyone heard the NAD T742??

My local dealer does not stock, and I also checked online with Q Audio and they haven't had one in the dealership to listen too...

I'm seriously considering this as an alternative to Marantz/Denon for a budget receiver, because of my many past experiences w/ NAD 2 channel gear, but I don't seem to be able to find anyone who's owned/auditioned/listened to this model

Anyone have thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks